PDA

View Full Version : Divison Series Picks

LegallyKenny
09-29-2003, 02:14 AM
I'm terrible at these, and I'm not even going to hazard to guess the length of each series, but I'm taking:

Yanks (own the Twinkies)
A's (Time's running out for them to break-through in the playoffs)

Cubs (Braves bull-pen godawful with Smoltz a question mark)
Giants (Easiest pick - though I know saying that is going to come back and bite me)

Ben Hansen
09-29-2003, 02:40 AM
I'll take...

*Cubs over Braves in 5
*Giants over Marlins in 4

NLCS (replay of the best one ever, 1989 with series MVP going to who else but Will "The Thrill" Clark!

*Cubs over Giants in 6 (Mark Prior MVP)

*Twins over Yanks in 5 (Torre resigns or gets fired when Boss blows a gasket)
*BoSox over A's in 5

ALCS

*BoSox over Twins in 7 (Manny Ramirez MVP)

WORLD SERIES (DREAM MATCH-UP)

Cubs over Red Sox in 6 (Mark Prior MVP)

CatintheHeat
09-29-2003, 02:47 AM
What is it with Mark Prior? It is only his 2nd year in the majors (out of USC) and is only 22 years old. Read a report that his mechanics are perfect. Even pitching at 85%, he is still better than almost all pitchers in the majors.

Ben Hansen
09-29-2003, 02:49 AM
Through a season and a half, he and Dwight Gooden are the best pitchers I've ever seen. He does have perfect mechanics. Very, very smooth and effortless-looking. He's a superstar of both now and the next two decades.

Josh Beckett can be a superstar too if he stops hurting himself.

WilmasPimp
09-29-2003, 07:45 PM
While wondering if Ben has ever heard of Pedro Martinez.....

ALCS:
Red Sox over Twins

NLCS:
Braves over Marlins

WS:
Braves (Atlanta)

LegallyKenny
09-29-2003, 08:46 PM
Didn't Prior go to the same HS in San Diego as Luke Walton? Seems like they should've been there about the same time. I'll never be able to embrace Prior because he went in the same draft as my boy Kenny Baugh (11th overall to Tigers) who was developing evenly with Prior (and may have had a better final college season, though few noticed) until he blew his arm out.

DoodieTang
09-29-2003, 10:57 PM
Cubs over Braves in 3
Giants over Marlins in 5
Sox over A's in 4
Yanks over Twins in 3

fcbayern2000
09-29-2003, 11:51 PM
MY PICKS
NLDS
Florida over SF in 5
Chicago over Atlanta in 5

ALDS
Boston over Oakland in 5
Minnesota over Yankees in 5

NLCS
Florida over Chicago in 5
Minnesota over Boston in 5

World Series
Florida over Minnesota in 5

Ben Hansen
09-30-2003, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by LegallyKenny
Didn't Prior go to the same HS in San Diego as Luke Walton? Seems like they should've been there about the same time. I'll never be able to embrace Prior because he went in the same draft as my boy Kenny Baugh (11th overall to Tigers) who was developing evenly with Prior (and may have had a better final college season, though few noticed) until he blew his arm out.

That's Barry Zito you're thinking about. Both went to University HS in San Diego. Same school Rico Tucker goes to, by the way. He probably won't make it to the Bigs as a lefthanded pitcher, though.

LegallyKenny
09-30-2003, 02:55 AM
Hmm, unless there are multiple University Highs in SD:

HIGH SCHOOL: A 1998 All-American and All-State selection during his senior year at University of San Diego High, Prior went 10-5 with a 0.93 ERA as a pitcher and .410 with 15 home runs at the plate...was also named the San Diego County Player of the Year by the San Diego Union-Tribune..

http://usctrojans.ocsn.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/prior_mark00.html

CatintheHeat
09-30-2003, 02:57 AM
Chicago over Atlanta in 5
San Fran over Florida in 4

New York over Minnesota in 3
Oakland over Boston in 5

Chicago over San Fran in 6
New York over Oakland in 5

New York over Chicago in 6

NL ROY Scott Podsednik Mil

NL POY Barry Bonds SF

Cy Young Eric Gagne LA

Damon Webb ought to challange Podsednik for ROY

Albert Pujols had overall better stats than Bonds, but he has better hitters behing him and pitchers couldn't pitch around him as much.

Russ Ortiz had the best record, but also had the best run support in the majors. but he also had the best run support. The real battle for Cy Young should be between Jason Schmidt and Mark Prior only because a reliever should not win the award.

I don't follow the AL that close and have no idea who should win the awards in the junior circuit.