PDA

View Full Version : The curses live on!!!

Irish27
10-17-2003, 12:35 AM
The Curse of the Bambino and the Billy Goat live on. The Red Sox and Cubs fans suffer for at least another year.

Irish27
10-17-2003, 01:09 AM
How weird is this. The Cubs were up 3 in the 8th as were the Red Sox, both 2 innings away from the World Series and both lose. Do you believe in curses?

CatintheHeat
10-17-2003, 01:34 AM
One thing about the Cubs that is different than previous years is that they already have a good nucleas of players, especially in the pitching department. And they are willing to spend an extra $10-15 mil next year. I think a lot of the problem with the Cubs this year was Dusty didn't have enough trust in the bullpen and overused his starters.

Philip Wrigley was the biggest curse for the Cubs. He really didn't care that much about the team and wouldn't spend the money necessary for them to compete.

Schnebly
10-17-2003, 01:34 AM
but I do believe in bad decisions and poor performance. Perhaps, over many years, those things can become part of a team's heritage or culture. Just the stigma of such heritage can have a psychological effect on players. It's hard to forget about a "curse" when everyone's frothing at the mouth over it.

Curse? Curse?! C'mon. Well, maybe my 102 year old Italian great grandmother gave the Cubs the evil eye back in her day and now they're doomed.

Boston's always good, but can't get the NY monkey off their back. My feeling there is that NY is generally just a slightly better product than the Bosox. More success=more postseason experience, year after year. It's a snowball effect.

The Cubs appear to be on the verge of changing their culture... at least I'm hopeful. They need to address that relief pitching and get a serious closer, though.

And keep Kenny Lofton.

Um, well, "Go Marlins" I guess?

Schneb

Irish27
10-17-2003, 09:23 AM
I don't think Lofton will be back for the Cubs. He was traded because Corey Patterson got hurt. Patterson is one of the best young players the Cubs have.

Schnebly
10-17-2003, 10:27 AM
Ya, I guess that outfield is pretty stacked, eh?

Well, gotta love Kenny anyway. He made a major difference and deserves to start somewhere.

Um, when's old man Finley leaving?

Schneb