PDA

View Full Version : ESPN UCLA Summer Write-up

azcat34
07-28-2009, 12:39 PM
Arizona's is coming on July 30th.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/insider/news/story?id=4361033

Flipper
07-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks, but can you post the entire article? I'm not an insider.:)

azcat34
07-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Thanks, but can you post the entire article? I'm not an insider.:)

Sorry!

nsider knows you're hot for hoops over the summer, so we're bringing you a closer look at five programs on the rise, five on the way down and five at a crossroads. We continue this week's look at five schools that are down from a year ago by checking up on the latest happenings at UCLA. Tomorrow: Memphis.

Howland expected to have Jrue Holiday back for one more season; alas he is with the 76ers and thus the Bruins are light in their guard loafers. The frontcourt will get a boost thought. The UCLA staff thinks Mike Moser is a very skilled power forward who may end up being the best all-around player in the program in a year or so. Tyler Honeycutt has the athletic gifts to be tremendous, but is far from being refined.

The Bruins think they have their next star in Malcolm Lee. Lee is a long-armed, in-between-position guard who will be forced to play the point in a system that demands a superior ball handler and a dynamic leader at that spot. Jerime (pronounced Jeremy) Anderson also has heaping talent, but isn't nearly as close to star status as Lee. Mike Roll is back to provide shooting and leadership.

But in the Pac-10, don't expect UCLA to drop that far. Arizona State falls way off, as does USC. Stanford has simply not gotten the recruits and while Washington and Cal appear very strong in their backcourts, their frontcourts are average at best. Besides, Ben Howland is a tremendous coach whose defense wins him the biggest glut of his games.

Who is the point guard? Jerime Anderson had a decent assist rate in limited duty as a freshman, but was a turnover machine and a nightmare shooter (40.8% 2FG, 31.0% 3FG). He will need to live up to the recruiting hype from 2008 -- and quickly -- if the Bruins are to maintain any consistency in the backcourt.

But the Bruins have concerns everywhere. No team in the country loses three seniors with as much experience as Darren Collison, Josh Shipp and Alfred Aboya. Yet the loss of freshman point guard Jrue Holiday -- who could have been a bridge to the next great UCLA team -- will be the most painful. The Bruins are indeed starting over.

We're projecting UCLA as a No. 5 seed at this early stage, which would actually be a one-line improvement over the Bruins falling to a No. 6 seed last year. Then again, last year's team underachieved to some degree while the 2009-10 squad has the advantage of far lower expectations. The best guess for now would be another win one, lose one NCAA appearance.

UCLA Bruins
26-9 (NCAA second round)

By the recent standards of UCLA hoops, 2008-09 was a disappointing season. After reaching the Final Four in the previous three seasons, the Bruins were knocked out in the second round by Villanova. And on that March afternoon, the last remnants of UCLA's Final Four three-peat (and the Bruins' top three scorers), Darren Collison, Josh Shipp and Alfred Aboya, saw their college careers come to an end. With them went freshman guard Jrue Holiday, who declared for the draft despite a pedestrian freshman season, at least compared to what was expected of such a high-profile recruit.

This year, for the first time in three seasons, the Bruins won't have anyone who has started on a Final Four team, as nine underclassmen will jockey for minutes. The folks in Westwood don't like to hear the phrase "rebuilding year," but it's time to face reality.

Welcome to Campus

Tyler Honeycutt, 6-foot-8, SF (No. 51 ESPNU 100)

Honeycutt could not have picked a better time to matriculate to UCLA. With the departure of Collison, Shipp and Holiday, there are going to be a lot of minutes to go around at the small forward and guard spots. And this multi-faceted forward should give coach Ben Howland some qualities he's not used to seeing. "We've never had a wing like him," says assistant coach Scott Garson. "He's long, can pass and handle like a guard, and can block shots and rebound."

Another freshman who should see some time at the three is Mike Moser. The 6-foot-8 Oregon native had verbally committed to Arizona, but he switched to the Wildcats' Pac-10 rivals when Lute Olson retired. Unlike Honeycutt's Euro-style game, Moser is more an energy/defense guy in the mold of Luc Richard Mbah a Moute.

Reeves Nelson, 6-8, PF

Along with Brendan Lane and Anthony Stover, two other freshman bigs, Nelson gives the Bruins some much-needed size. Last year, the Bruins ranked 139th in Division I in kenpom.com's effective height rankings, which was seventh in the Pac-10, and their rebounding margin was 3.3 per game. It had been above 8.0 the previous two seasons, and that decline did not sit well with Howland. "Reeves is the best rebounder we've recruited since Kevin Love," Garson says. "If you can rebound, you can play for Coach Howland. And Reeves can rebound."

Hole to fill: Point Guard

As noted above, the Bruins expect five freshmen to contribute, but none is a point guard. Holiday was supposed to take the reins from Collison, but he jumped ship. Sophomore Jerime Anderson is the only true point on the roster, and he averaged a grand total of 8.6 mpg as a frosh. Coaches praise him for his passing and ability to pressure the ball on defense, but Anderson needs to work on his J, shooting 37.2 percent from the field, and 31.0 percent from deep. Almost by default, he is going to start. UCLA is known for a methodical, yet remarkably efficient offense, finishing in the top 10 in kenpom.com's adjusted offensive efficiency in each of the last two seasons. With so much inexperience at the point, it's hard to see that happening again.

New Role: Malcolm Lee

Like Anderson, Lee is going to be thrown to the wolves because of UCLA's backcourt depth (or lack thereof). The 6-foot-5 sophomore will start at the 2, and will also be asked to serve as the backup point guard. "He's going to go from averaging 10 minutes a game to 30," Garson says of the 2008 McDonald's All-American. "He played point guard in high school, and we're hoping that him and Anderson will give us two points guards on the floor at most times, kind of like when we had Collison and Jordan Farmar playing together." So as long as Lee and Anderson are as good as the Bruins' best backcourt in recent memory, they should be fine.

Summer school

Howland's hopes of assembling a decent rebounding team nearly crumbled on June 19, when power forward Drew Gordon partially tore the patellar tendon in his right knee while trying out for the United States' U-19 world championship team. Fortunately, the injury did not require surgery and Gordon is already back at full speed. The 6-foot-8 soph led the Bruins with 12.6 boards per 40 minutes last year, and he has spent much of his summer working on his post moves. Look for a jump hook to enter his repertoire this season.

Team Twitter

Ben_Howland: "You need to check out Kevin Love's all-nba twitter team on espn.com. I am lobbying to be the coach. I can win a lot of games with that team!"

Yes, a lineup of Shaq, Kevin Love, Charlie Villanueva, Steve Nash and Baron Davis would win a lot of Pac-10 games, but that's not what Howland is working with this year. Can't blame him for dreaming.

Merkin
07-28-2009, 01:31 PM
In before the delete!

BeachCat97
07-28-2009, 01:48 PM
The main question for UCLA is, who's going to lead this team? Which underclassmen are going to step up? This team will ultimately go as far as Lee and Anderson takes it; without strong guard play, they're going to struggle.

Flipper
07-28-2009, 02:05 PM
The main question for UCLA is, who's going to lead this team? Which underclassmen are going to step up? This team will ultimately go as far as Lee and Anderson takes it; without strong guard play, they're going to struggle.

Beauty of the college game. Kids step up all the time, etc, etc.

Lee
Anderson
Roll
Honeycutt and Moser (some minutes at the 2G/SF spots)- thank goodness we got Moser at the last minute.:)

Agree, UCLA will be very young, but the talent's there.

BeachCat97
07-28-2009, 02:09 PM

Lee
Anderson
Roll
Honeycutt and Moser (some minutes at the 2G/SF spots)- thank goodness we got Moser at the last minute.:)

It's a good thing Roll's still around. He's really the only guy (besides maybe Keefe) who's played big minutes for some very good Bruin teams the last few years. I'm very curious to see how quickly all your young guys develop. If you're not hit too hard by transfers and/or early draft entrants, 2010-11 is shaping up pretty nicely for you guys.

Ziggiles
07-28-2009, 02:53 PM
The Bruins real strength during their run the past few years has not been the overachieving, all hustle big men. Last year they lacked any interior presence and unless, a Mata or Aboya or the prince appear from their current group of holdovers or recruits they are going to be good team not a great one, yet again.

barringer97
07-28-2009, 03:07 PM

Lee
Anderson
Roll

Yep.

JimmyPeterson
07-28-2009, 03:24 PM

They have so much talent at the guard positions. Nikola Dragovic needs to be huge for them inside.

Flipper
07-28-2009, 03:38 PM
Let's recap the bigs for the Bruins:

Dragovic - Sr, PF prolific scorer, major liability on d
Keefe - Sr, PF hopefully goes out with a bang
Morgan - Soph, Center lost weight, and supposedly able to run now:)
Gordon - Soph, Center good defender/rebounder, needs a post move or two
Lane - Fr, PF should get minutes, needs to get stronger
Nelson - Fr, should get minutes - JBrock mold
Stover - redshirt?

That's at least 6, with a couple of tall (albeit skinny) wing types in Honeycutt and Moser.

Needs one of the frosh to be a decent contributor, but will have plenty of bodies to throw at teams.

MrBug708
07-28-2009, 08:21 PM
Anderson hasn't looked that great in summer league, could be a rough year for the UCLA PG with a lot of growing pains.

Honeycutt hasn't been cleared to practice (officially at least)

BeachCat97
07-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Anderson hasn't looked that great in summer league, could be a rough year for the UCLA PG with a lot of growing pains.

Honeycutt hasn't been cleared to practice (officially at least)

I can't wait for the "let's get rid of Howland" chants to emerge after UCLA struggles again. Maybe be can move over to 'SC.

MrBug708
07-28-2009, 10:28 PM
I can't wait for the "let's get rid of Howland" chants to emerge after UCLA struggles again. Maybe be can move over to 'SC.

Why would UCLA fans do that?

BeachCat97
07-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Why would UCLA fans do that?

Because UCLA fans have a hopelessly delusional perception of what their program can and should achieve, and unfortunately, these fanciful, unwarranted expectations can cost a good coach his job. If Howland hasn't won an NC by 2015 or so, I fully expect Bruin fans to start questioning his competence/capabilities, which of course is absurd.

MrBug708
07-28-2009, 11:26 PM
Because UCLA fans have a hopelessly delusional perception of what their program can and should achieve, and unfortunately, these fanciful, unwarranted expectations can cost a good coach his job. If Howland hasn't won an NC by 2015 or so, I fully expect Bruin fans to start questioning his competence/capabilities, which of course is absurd.

It depends on how he's done from now until 2015. If he's missed the tournament three straight years, then I would assume Bruin fans would be warranted. If he's made a few final fours in that time period, they won't.

I'm willing to bet that he'll make more Final Fours then see seasons missing the tournament.

BeachCat97
07-29-2009, 12:19 AM
It depends on how he's done from now until 2015. If he's missed the tournament three straight years, then I would assume Bruin fans would be warranted. If he's made a few final fours in that time period, they won't.

I'm willing to bet that he'll make more Final Fours then see seasons missing the tournament.

UCLA's not getting back to the FF anytime soon.

Flipper
07-29-2009, 12:43 AM

I kinda like our chances within the next 2-3 years, IF no additional early departures like Love, Westbrook and Holiday.

MrBug708
07-29-2009, 12:50 AM

If by "not getting back anytime soon" means this coming season, then I agree

BeachCat97
07-29-2009, 10:13 AM
If by "not getting back anytime soon" means this coming season, then I agree

Nope, I meant not in the next 5 years, maybe longer. Those three straight FFs are gonna go down more as an aberration than a general reflection of BH's success at UCLA.

Flipper
07-29-2009, 10:49 AM
Nope, I meant not in the next 5 years, maybe longer. Those three straight FFs are gonna go down more as an aberration than a general reflection of BH's success at UCLA.

I'll take that bet, any amount you want (I'd settle for the 5 years, and not the "even longer" timeframe). We can put it into escrow here at Goazcats.com:);)

Come on, put your money where your mouth is.:lol2:

BeachCat97
07-29-2009, 11:32 AM
I'll take that bet, any amount you want (I'd settle for the 5 years, and not the "even longer" timeframe). We can put it into escrow here at Goazcats.com:);)

Come on, put your money where your mouth is.:lol2:

I don't make these "bets" anymore.

But I feel very comfortable in saying UCLA won't get to the FF within the next five years. Too many other good programs on the rise right now. You guys might have some good teams/years in the near future, but over the next 5-10 years, you're going to find out just how much of an aberration getting to three straight FFs (let alone a single FF) truly is. Keep those video highlights of the 2006-2008 seasons queued up, Flip; you're gonna need 'em.

Flipper
07-29-2009, 12:12 PM
I don't make these "bets" anymore.

But I feel very comfortable in saying UCLA won't get to the FF within the next five years. Too many other good programs on the rise right now. You guys might have some good teams/years in the near future, but over the next 5-10 years, you're going to find out just how much of an aberration getting to three straight FFs (let alone a single FF) truly is. Keep those video highlights of the 2006-2008 seasons queued up, Flip; you're gonna need 'em.

That's what happens with all the incorrect proclamations, etc, etc.:);)

Can't wait for the next UCLA banner. Maybe then you'll finally admit to your true loyalties.:cheers::wink2::tup:

BeachCat97
07-29-2009, 01:08 PM
That's what happens with all the incorrect proclamations, etc, etc.:);)

Can't wait for the next UCLA banner. Maybe then you'll finally admit to your true loyalties.:cheers::wink2::tup:

Flip, there's as much a chance of me becoming a Bruin fan as there is of you getting "Lute Rules!" tattooed across your ass.

MrBug708
07-29-2009, 01:18 PM

Do you ever wonder why no arizona fan ever has your back? And aberration? I'm guessing lute's final appearnces were also aberration too?

BeachCat97
07-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Do you ever wonder why no arizona fan ever has your back? And aberration? I'm guessing lute's final appearnces were also aberration too?

I don't need anyone to "have my back"; that's silly. How old are you? 15?

Lute's success at UofA was spread over a 20+ year period, during which he went to four FFs, won numerous conference titles, and won an NC. Howland's success is limited to 4 year period, so the jury's still out on whether BH deserves to be thought of alongside coaches he's currently inferior to.

Lute >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Howland

Sorry, Bug, that's just the truth. You invited the comparison, so there it is.

MrBug708
07-29-2009, 03:38 PM
I don't need anyone to "have my back"; that's silly. How old are you? 15?

Lute's success at UofA was spread over a 20+ year period, during which he went to four FFs, won numerous conference titles, and won an NC. Howland's success is limited to 4 year period, so the jury's still out on whether BH deserves to be thought of alongside coaches he's currently inferior to.

Lute >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Howland

Sorry, Bug, that's just the truth. You invited the comparison, so there it is.

What comparision? The oly comparision I made was how lame your statement was and comparing it with another statement that was equally asinine.

BeachCat97
07-29-2009, 04:18 PM
What comparision? The oly comparision I made was how lame your statement was and comparing it with another statement that was equally asinine.

You brought Lute into this, not me.

MrBug708
07-29-2009, 08:11 PM
*sigh*

DrV
07-29-2009, 09:25 PM
Yawn...

F Duke
07-30-2009, 03:40 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-newswire30-2009jul30,0,2961708.story

UCLA forward Tyler Honeycutt plans to begin rehabilitation next week on a back injury that is looking more serious than initially thought.

The incoming 6-8 freshman was diagnosed in the spring with a stress fracture at the point where the spinal column connects to the hip.

Now, he said, doctors believe the injury is two years old and probably will not heal soon.