PDA

View Full Version : UCLA to lose a recruit

Flipper
07-28-2009, 02:15 PM
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=12&f=1737&t=4545263

Looks like it'll be over soon for Kendall Williams. I'll take 1 or 2 from Ray McCallum, Trey Ziegler or Anthony Brown.:)

BeachCat97
07-28-2009, 02:23 PM
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=12&f=1737&t=4545263

Looks like it'll be over soon for Kendall Williams. I'll take 1 or 2 from Ray McCallum, Trey Ziegler or Anthony Brown.:)

You guys lose recruits all the time. This ain't news.

Reydituto
07-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Ziegler's a really talented player, a really good scorer that would also be a good fit for Howland defensively. Sort of a cross between Aaron Afflalo (although not as good a perimeter shooter) and Malcolm Lee (but does not have the athleticism of Lee). I can see him going there considering who his dad is.

MaCallum would also be a great Howland PG, but I don't see him going to UCLA, I think they are a little late on the train.

Brown would be a great pickup for any Pac-10 team, but I think UCLA would have to raise the pressure to get him. Also, he needs another year to work on his body to be able to be an effective defensive player for UCLA - he's a year young for the 2010 class. No doubts about his offensive skill.

Flipper
07-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Ziegler's a really talented player, a really good scorer that would also be a good fit for Howland defensively. Sort of a cross between Aaron Afflalo (although not as good a perimeter shooter) and Malcolm Lee (but does not have the athleticism of Lee). I can see him going there considering who his dad is.

MaCallum would also be a great Howland PG, but I don't see him going to UCLA, I think they are a little late on the train.

Brown would be a great pickup for any Pac-10 team, but I think UCLA would have to raise the pressure to get him. Also, he needs another year to work on his body to be able to be an effective defensive player for UCLA - he's a year young for the 2010 class. No doubts about his offensive skill.

It'll be a major coup if we can get the tandem of McCallum and Ziegler, who's supposed to be very close. But the chances of that happening is really slim. Howland hadn't had much luck with kids from the East/Midwest.

With Tyler Lamb already in, Ziegler AND Brown don't make any sense, so we'll take either or, and hopefully another elite level PG, maybe a Pressey out of Texas.

If nobody leaves early, we have room for a 4-man class, with the 3 departing seniors and Holiday's spot.

Also, word is that Stover's a candidate for redshirting, which hadn't happened that often at UCLA. Howland did it quite a bit in Pittsburgh though.

MrBug708
07-28-2009, 08:20 PM

I'd love him to come to UCLA, but I think he's staying in the state of Michigan. If he decides to leave, I would expect UCLA to be right there waiting.

UCLA's been on him for a while. He's one of three players from this class with a UCLA offer

I know he's hoping for a UCLA offer, but I think UCLA doesn't get down to him on the priority list, when he's still on the open market

WayneNewton
07-28-2009, 08:42 PM
UCLA's been on him for a while. He's one of three players from this class with a UCLA offer

Only three? That can't be right.

MrBug708
07-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Only three? That can't be right.

Why?

BeachCat97
07-31-2009, 07:23 PM
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/112356-bruins-lose-another-commitment?eref=fromSI

I think word is finally getting around that BH is an a-hole.

MrBug708
07-31-2009, 09:05 PM
Did he piss on someone's lawn again?

Wait, he told Williams he wouldn't play at UCLA even though he'd honor his scholarship

TheCat
07-31-2009, 10:49 PM
Did he piss on someone's lawn again?

Wait, he told Williams he wouldn't play at UCLA even though he'd honor his scholarship

I'll call B.S. on that one bug.......either Howland is an idiot or your mistaken.

MrBug708
07-31-2009, 11:24 PM
I'll call B.S. on that one bug.......either Howland is an idiot or your mistaken.

Huh?

haji81872
07-31-2009, 11:44 PM
I think that after getting T'd up twice in a game and trying to jump into a fight on the court in front of Howland it was all Howland needed to cut him loose.

BeachCat97
08-01-2009, 12:09 AM
I think that after getting T'd up twice in a game and trying to jump into a fight on the court in front of Howland it was all Howland needed to cut him loose.

Oh, I'm sure that thug Gooden on your team couldn't have been much better in HS.

MrBug708
08-01-2009, 12:35 AM

This

Flipper
08-01-2009, 01:11 AM
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/112356-bruins-lose-another-commitment?eref=fromSI

I think word is finally getting around that BH is an a-hole.

Yeah, Howland won't be able to recruit now.;):)

BeachCat97
08-01-2009, 01:49 AM
Yeah, Howland won't be able to recruit now.;):)

You guys don't get recruits because of your coach; you get recruits because of the name of your school.

bruins01
08-01-2009, 02:08 AM
You guys don't get recruits because of your coach; you get recruits because of the name of your school.

Haha. You don't actually believe this, do you?

BeachCat97
08-01-2009, 02:31 AM
Haha. You don't actually believe this, do you?

Absolutely. It doesn't matter who your head coach is. The legacy, location, and academic reputation of UCLA will always bring in top talent.

RichardCranium
08-01-2009, 03:54 AM

signed

Luke Walton

Fixed it for you.

TheCat
08-01-2009, 11:15 AM

If that is true why would Howland offer to honor his scholarship like bug said? That is what I am calling B.S. on. Bug must push the St. Howland myth that he would never fail to honor a scholarship he offered. Well he did and it wont be the last time for Ben or any other college coach.

The truth is the kid did not develop the way it was predicted and Howland recognized it and cut him loose (no offer to keep him on scholarship). It has long been speculated that this was going to happen by the Bruin faithful.

I am not critizing what Ben did. He has a responsibility to protect the interests of UCLA and in this case recognized he had made a mistake and cut his losses. College basketball is not always a pretty business.

I think the T'd up and thrown out is a way for UCLA fans to rationalize what happen and keep the reality of college basketball being a business at bay. If Kevin Love would have been T'd and thrown out you think he would have been booted???? It is all about self-serving interests and what value you bring.

ice
08-01-2009, 02:30 PM
UCLA is one of the three easiest schools to recruit to in the country, the other two being UNC and Duke. UCLA is so easy because, to a High Schooler, it has many attractive qualities:

- Top notch basketball tradition
- Great location (in a very nice area of a huge city)
- Good college atmosphere
- Great academics
- Great weather

I hate UCLA, but I'll admit it's a great place for a recruit to go. However, it's very clear that Ben Howland is an *******, doesn't really run a system that players desire to play in, and isn't a players coach. If you're going to UCLA to go to UCLA, then you are getting a great deal, but if you are a basketball player and you care about having a players coach or playing in a system where you run and gun, UCLA is not your spot.

I've heard a second hand account through friends that a UCLA player thought Ben Howland is an ******* and hated playing for him. This guy was no bench warmer either, he was a starter and a nationally recognized player. Just for what it's worth.

BeachCat97
08-01-2009, 03:10 PM
UCLA is one of the three easiest schools to recruit to in the country, the other two being UNC and Duke. UCLA is so easy because, to a High Schooler, it has many attractive qualities:

- Top notch basketball tradition
- Great location (in a very nice area of a huge city)
- Good college atmosphere
- Great academics
- Great weather

I hate UCLA, but I'll admit it's a great place for a recruit to go. However, it's very clear that Ben Howland is an *******, doesn't really run a system that players desire to play in, and isn't a players coach. If you're going to UCLA to go to UCLA, then you are getting a great deal, but if you are a basketball player and you care about having a players coach or playing in a system where you run and gun, UCLA is not your spot.

I've heard a second hand account through friends that a UCLA player thought Ben Howland is an ******* and hated playing for him. This guy was no bench warmer either, he was a starter and a nationally recognized player. Just for what it's worth.

Good post.

As the years go by, and hardly any of BH's former players attempt to stay involved with the program or make a point to publically praise their former coach, perhaps UCLA fans will start to see what is already known by Bruin players' friends and families. Then again, UCLA fans might not even care.

11Banners
08-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Good post.

As the years go by, and hardly any of BH's former players attempt to stay involved with the program or make a point to publically praise their former coach, perhaps UCLA fans will start to see what is already known by Bruin players' friends and families. Then again, UCLA fans might not even care.

Better be careful, Beachcat, or else we'll figure out Ben Howland is so awful and try and steal Sean Miller.

WayneNewton
08-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Better be careful, Beachcat, or else we'll figure out Ben Howland is so awful and try and steal Sean Miller.

You guys should probably steal some books on how to run an offense that doesn't cause the Pauley crowd to pass out.

11Banners
08-01-2009, 04:04 PM
You guys should probably steal some books on how to run an offense that doesn't cause the Pauley crowd to pass out.

I actually think we might win a national title this season with you getting off of Ben Howland's jock, Wayne. Everytime you call him the best coach in the nation, we lose in a national title game or the final four.

F Duke
08-01-2009, 04:07 PM
Must suck not being able to play all your tourney games in California.

11Banners
08-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Must suck not being able to play all your tourney games in California.

Hopefully the poor economy makes all the West regionals in California in the future. That would be awesome.

BeachCat97
08-01-2009, 05:08 PM

Miller's at a better program already; why would he leave?

11Banners
08-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Miller's at a better program already; why would he leave?

Sean Miller seems like the type of coach who wants to tackle a challenge of rebuilding a decent program such as UCLA. At Arizona it's going to probably get boring winning every single Pac-10 and national title.

BeachCat97
08-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Sean Miller seems like the type of coach who wants to tackle a challenge of rebuilding a decent program such as UCLA. At Arizona it's going to probably get boring winning every single Pac-10 and national title.

Over the last 20 seasons, Arizona has 8 Pac-10 titles (first or tied for first); UCLA has 7. Over that same period, Arizona has been to 3 FFs; UCLA has been to 4. Both have won 1 NC.

So while you'd like to imagine that there's some staggering gap between the two programs (in the modern era), there really isn't. If anything, it's a toss-up in terms of which program's been better over the past two decades, and the only reason it's even close is because Howland racked up some FFs recently, no small achievement.

It'll be interesting to see which coach wins an NC first, Miller or Howland.

11Banners
08-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Over the last 20 seasons, Arizona has 8 Pac-10 titles (first or tied for first); UCLA has 7. Over that same period, Arizona has been to 3 FFs; UCLA has been to 4. Both have won 1 NC.

So while you'd like to imagine that there's some staggering gap between the two programs (in the modern era), there really isn't. If anything, it's a toss-up in terms of which program's been better over the past two decades, and the only reason it's even close is because Howland racked up some FFs recently, no small achievement.

It'll be interesting to see which coach wins an NC first, Miller or Howland.

You're absolutely right. That's why I hope our eyes might open up this year and we'll fire Howland and be granted a gift by the Gods that we'll land Miller.

WayneNewton
08-01-2009, 08:22 PM
I actually think we might win a national title this season with you getting off of Ben Howland's jock, Wayne. Everytime you call him the best coach in the nation, we lose in a national title game or the final four.

You don't have to be Lefty Rosenthal to see that the Bruins aren't winning **** this year.

haji81872
08-01-2009, 08:40 PM
If that is true why would Howland offer to honor his scholarship like bug said? That is what I am calling B.S. on. Bug must push the St. Howland myth that he would never fail to honor a scholarship he offered. Well he did and it wont be the last time for Ben or any other college coach.

The truth is the kid did not develop the way it was predicted and Howland recognized it and cut him loose (no offer to keep him on scholarship). It has long been speculated that this was going to happen by the Bruin faithful.

I am not critizing what Ben did. He has a responsibility to protect the interests of UCLA and in this case recognized he had made a mistake and cut his losses. College basketball is not always a pretty business.

I think the T'd up and thrown out is a way for UCLA fans to rationalize what happen and keep the reality of college basketball being a business at bay. If Kevin Love would have been T'd and thrown out you think he would have been booted???? It is all about self-serving interests and what value you bring.

I could care less if Howland went up to him and told him he sucks balls and will never play for UCLA because he is so terrible. I don't feel the need to rationalize anything. I am just saying that after that game it gave Howland the onus and the opportunity to cut him loose, it was going to happen at some point, this was just the window he needed to get it done.

haji81872
08-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Nice to see that this thread devolves into the typcial *****ing. I am sure it has a lot to do with beachcat, but since I have him on ignore I guess I won't know for sure. Ahhh, bliss.

MrBug708
08-01-2009, 08:53 PM

Lots of coaches do this. It isn't the first time Howland has told a kid, you won't play. I think Taylor King saw the writing on the wall before Howland could tell him this.

You guys must be torn. Either giving Greg Hicks credit again or making up things about Howland revoking the scholarship.

Think of the technical as the straw that broke the camels back.

MrBug708
08-01-2009, 08:53 PM

Winner

TheCat
08-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Lots of coaches do this. It isn't the first time Howland has told a kid, you won't play. I think Taylor King saw the writing on the wall before Howland could tell him this.

You guys must be torn. Either giving Greg Hicks credit again or making up things about Howland revoking the scholarship.

Think of the technical as the straw that broke the camels back.

Your just wrong in so many ways. Getting a technical is never the straw the breaks the camels back on a good player. I mean Reeves is still a recruit right? You honestly believe Howland told him you wont ever play but you can keep your scholarship. If he did he is stupid.

If you can point me to a credible source that indicates Howland told the kid....come to UCLA we have a scholarship with your name on it but you probably wont play.....I'd like to see it.:lol2:

Not sure what Greg Hicks has to do with anything unless he is taking credit for informing the staff this guy was not a quality recruit. I mean he does take credit for any recruits that work out.

TheCat
08-01-2009, 11:05 PM
I could care less if Howland went up to him and told him he sucks balls and will never play for UCLA because he is so terrible. I don't feel the need to rationalize anything. I am just saying that after that game it gave Howland the onus and the opportunity to cut him loose, it was going to happen at some point, this was just the window he needed to get it done.

I agree with this. Just don't try and sell it as anything other then what it is. Howland dumped him after he offered him because he didn't pan out. For some reason this shames Mr. Bug. and he must defend that Ben was simply going to have a guy use up a four year ride because he would never pull an offered ride. :lol2:

MrBug708
08-02-2009, 03:01 AM
If you can point me to a credible source that indicates Howland told the kid....come to UCLA we have a scholarship with your name on it but you probably wont play.....I'd like to see it.:lol2:

I'm curious to see the article where it states Ben yanked the kids scholarship. I mean, since we are demanding to see "credible sources"

MrBug708
08-02-2009, 03:02 AM
I agree with this. Just don't try and sell it as anything other then what it is. Howland dumped him after he offered him because he didn't pan out. For some reason this shames Mr. Bug. and he must defend that Ben was simply going to have a guy use up a four year ride because he would never pull an offered ride. :lol2:

You need to post more

catfan857
08-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Doesnt resinding two scholarship offers mean that the scouting is horrible in LA. Although I have to say I give howland credit for pulling the trigger here as Tim Floyd would have gotten the two (king and williams) then would have suffered for their poor attitude I think UCLA has learned from USC's blunders.

TheCat
08-02-2009, 01:02 PM
I'm curious to see the article where it states Ben yanked the kids scholarship. I mean, since we are demanding to see "credible sources"

So I guess this is your admission you have no credible source???

Not really a surprise. :lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:

MrBug708
08-02-2009, 01:15 PM
I guess you got me

oh wait

http://www.insidesocal.com/ucla/2009/07/williams-and-ucla-parting-ways.html

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/school?schoolId=26&page=briefingroom&season=2010&id=5642&action=login&appRedirect=http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/school%3fschoolId%3d26%26page%3dbriefingroom%26sea son%3d2010%26id%3d5642

Should I post BRO's article too?

TheCat
08-02-2009, 04:03 PM
I guess you got me

oh wait

http://www.insidesocal.com/ucla/2009/07/williams-and-ucla-parting-ways.html

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/school?schoolId=26&page=briefingroom&season=2010&id=5642&action=login&appRedirect=http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/school%3fschoolId%3d26%26page%3dbriefingroom%26sea son%3d2010%26id%3d5642

Should I post BRO's article too?

Here is the one article by the UCLA honk:
Los Osos High of Rancho Cucamonga point guard Kendall Williams is opening his recruitment after committing to UCLA in November 2007.
It comes as little surprise as Williams didn't develop as much as UCLA hoped he would. It means the Bruins are in the hunt for a point guard for the 2010 class.
I saw Williams play during UCLA's camp last month, and his level of play came into question, Also, his on-court antics were wearing thin with folks at the camp.

This seems to prove MY point that it was his level of play. Niether article talks about Ben keeping him on scholarship which is the source I was looking for. Didn't you think anyone would read the articles. You must have lost sight of what we were talking about. Go get your Ridlin and try again.

I don't consider BRO a credible source but if they have anything that indicates Ben told him he could still come and be on scholarship I will accept it as gospel.

Let me be clear Mr. Bug. We are looking for anything that confirms what you said about him being told he could still go to UCLA on scholarship but would not play much. We all know he is not going to UCLA. By the way this is what you said "Either giving Greg Hicks credit again or making up things about Howland revoking the scholarship. "

Do me a favor.....don't answer you are giving me a headache.......

MrBug708
08-02-2009, 04:25 PM
Here is the one article by the UCLA honk:
Los Osos High of Rancho Cucamonga point guard Kendall Williams is opening his recruitment after committing to UCLA in November 2007.
It comes as little surprise as Williams didn't develop as much as UCLA hoped he would. It means the Bruins are in the hunt for a point guard for the 2010 class.
I saw Williams play during UCLA's camp last month, and his level of play came into question, Also, his on-court antics were wearing thin with folks at the camp.

This seems to prove MY point that it was his level of play. Niether article talks about Ben keeping him on scholarship which is the source I was looking for. Didn't you think anyone would read the articles. You must have lost sight of what we were talking about. Go get your Ridlin and try again.

Seeing as how you cannot decommit unless you still have a scholarship, I think it's more or less a given.

I know you like dancing around and acting dumb, but I'm still waiting for this article that says Howland revoked his scholarship

I don't consider BRO a credible source but if they have anything that indicates Ben told him he could still come and be on scholarship I will accept it as gospel.

Why wouldn't you consider BRO to be a credible source? Do you not consider goazcats to be one?

Let me be clear Mr. Bug. We are looking for anything that confirms what you said about him being told he could still go to UCLA on scholarship but would not play much.

No. You are the only one who doesn't seem to accept this. The media does, UCLA as well, and Kendall Williams seems to think so.

We all know he is not going to UCLA. By the way this is what you said "Either giving Greg Hicks credit again or making up things about Howland revoking the scholarship. "

Do me a favor.....don't answer you are giving me a headache.......

Ya, I don't have anything to follow up. I don't even know what this means.

TheCat
08-02-2009, 08:31 PM
I know you like dancing around and acting dumb, but I'm still waiting for this article that says Howland revoked his scholarship

Why wouldn't you consider BRO to be a credible source? Do you not consider goazcats to be one?

No. You are the only one who doesn't seem to accept this. The media does, UCLA as well, and Kendall Williams seems to think so.

You are the one that stated Howland did not pull his scholarship and that he could go to UCLA but not play much. I said sight a source. You have been unable too. Case closed.

You say the media accepts this and I say sight one source that says Howland was going to let him keep his scholarship. You have not been able to sight one. Case closed.

No I do not consider goazcats a reliable source. I believe they are biased and will do there best to bring info to fans but it is always suspect to having that bias affect their perceptions.

Listen this has gone too long. You have no source and it is obvious when I called BS you had no answer. If it will keep you from posting again I believe Ben was going to give a player he did not want a full four year scholarship. I believe that it was only his behavior that gave St. Ben pause and not the fact that he did not progress as expected. You have convinced me......I was wrong and your argument makes perfect sense. I thank you for also confirming the existence of the tooth fairy.

Over and out.

Flipper
08-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Things change. Projecting where kids will be at such a young age is a hit and miss proposition. Sometimes it's such a can't miss that you have to offer real early, like KLove as a high school frosh, etc, etc.

Sometimes kids don't progress, ala Kendall Williams. It looks like mutual parting of the ways. Case closed.:)

Not a fan of early commitments. What's wrong with waiting till after the junior season, or right after taking all the official visits, which is early in senior year? Things are much clearer then.

TheCat
08-03-2009, 01:43 AM
Things change. Projecting where kids will be at such a young age is a hit and miss proposition. Sometimes it's such a can't miss that you have to offer real early, like KLove as a high school frosh, etc, etc.

Sometimes kids don't progress, ala Kendall Williams. It looks like mutual parting of the ways. Case closed.:)

Not a fan of early commitments. What's wrong with waiting till after the junior season, or right after taking all the official visits, which is early in senior year? Things are much clearer then.

I agree. Az just pulled a previously offered ride when Miller came in. Lute did it when he first started. My issue was the fact that Bug said a guy that obviously did not develop the way UCLA thought he would was still offered a scholarship. That is just stupid. Bug thinks it is a criticism of Howland. It isn't. It is the reality of big time college ball.

Merkin
08-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Lute did it just recently too with Reger Dowell after Abdul Gaddy recommitted.

Verbals don't mean squat. I wish they wouldn't even use the word "committed".

MrBug708
08-03-2009, 12:48 PM
You are the one that stated Howland did not pull his scholarship and that he could go to UCLA but not play much. I said sight a source. You have been unable too. Case closed.

What? Case closed? Ok Dectective Cat!

You say the media accepts this and I say sight one source that says Howland was going to let him keep his scholarship. You have not been able to sight one. Case closed.

Absent of a source saying he pulled it, it's assumed that the offer still stood.

No I do not consider goazcats a reliable source. I believe they are biased and will do there best to bring info to fans but it is always suspect to having that bias affect their perceptions.

That's your incorrect opinion then.

Listen this has gone too long. You have no source and it is obvious when I called BS you had no answer.

What the hell?

If it will keep you from posting again I believe Ben was going to give a player he did not want a full four year scholarship.

Based on the evidence, you have to assume this

I believe that it was only his behavior that gave St. Ben pause and not the fact that he did not progress as expected.

Who ever said this?

You have convinced me......I was wrong and your argument makes perfect sense.

Should I put this in my quote so people can make fun of me now? lol

I thank you for also confirming the existence of the tooth fairy.
Over and out.

You are one weird person

MrBug708
08-03-2009, 12:49 PM

No doubt. I'm glad both parties decided it was best to go somewhere else. It would be curious to see if he ends up at USC or Stanford or WSU

TucsonDon
08-03-2009, 07:04 PM
JC, what a dumb thread.

'ZONA97
08-04-2009, 03:23 PM
You're absolutely right. That's why I hope our eyes might open up this year and we'll fire Howland and be granted a gift by the Gods that we'll land Miller.

Ah, so nice of you to make an appearance! If nothing else will draw her out of hiding, you can always bag on sugar-daddy Howland to make Bananas bare her claws in knee-jerk defense.

Wow, the abyss that UA basketball has fallen into is really, really terrible. You really nailed it on the head with that one, Miss Cleo. :rolleyes:

coeagle
08-04-2009, 09:09 PM
As much as some of the UCLA fans on this board creep me out this thread is really stupid. This happens with every program. People change their minds ( both coaches and recruits). Get over it.

MrBug708
12-23-2010, 03:11 AM
18 and 11 for Kendall Williams tonight