PDA

View Full Version : Katz & O'Neil

catgrad
07-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Just in case there was ANY doubt that Andy Katz loves Kevin O'Neil...there's a long (and positive) write-up on O'Neil.

I must say, O'Neil has been pretty savvy getting the national media behind him. Eventually, he's gonna have to show some success at USC.

It looks like USC is gonna get most of the exposure from ESPN this year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=4365978

azcat34
07-30-2009, 05:53 PM
Don't forget we are the 7-8 year rebuilding project.

Katz is a joke.

T-Bone
07-30-2009, 05:57 PM
I hope convenience stores around SC load up on Coors Light cans by the time he gets there permanently.

PerpEph
07-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Don't forget we are the 7-8 year rebuilding project.

Katz is a joke.

He used to be great. He seems to have gotten lazy in his work and doesn't verify anything.

And I don't know how any person following college basketball can predict a 7-8 year rebuilding process. This ain't football. If you haven't turned it around by year 3-4, you aren't going to get it done.

Just a weird thing to say.

Zona_Soccer10
07-30-2009, 06:11 PM
A good write up on USC after losing pretty much everyone? I love it. What's next.. ASU predicting a national title?
O'Neil is going to be just as good or worse than Henry Bibby was. Not predicting failure.. just saying.
USC will be the PAC-10 whipping boy.

SCCat
07-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Lots of comedy in that article.

"Our whole thing here depends on any sanctions and how soon we get them,'' O'Neill said by phone as he continued his global trek.

O'Neill said he has not been briefed on the investigation because "our university doesn't know what's going on. The only people that know what's going on are conducting the investigation.''

That shouldn't be too hard to sell to recruits. 'I mean, you're only going to be here one year until you hate my guts and are willing to transfer to Siberia if they have a scholi open, so when you think about it that way the sanctions probably won't land on us while you're here!'

"(Strength coach Rudy Hackett won't return, but Tim Floyd's assistants -- Gib Arnold, Bob Cantu and Phil Johnson -- are all back.)"

Hillarious. So you're saying Rudy isn't sticking around after his son's gone? No quid pro quo there. But that might not even be the funniest part of that short sentence; KO isn't even taking the time to bring in his own assistants! ROFL, we know what that means. 'Assistants? I don't need no f***ing assistants!'

Awesome. There's just very little chance this ends well.

CatMG
07-30-2009, 09:55 PM
He used to be great. He seems to have gotten lazy in his work and doesn't verify anything.

And I don't know how any person following college basketball can predict a 7-8 year rebuilding process. This ain't football. If you haven't turned it around by year 3-4, you aren't going to get it done.

Just a weird thing to say.

He clearly went out of his way to discredit the UA job. And considering he gets plenty of air time at ESPN, I believe it was having an impact on the search. And for that, I will never respect the clown.

ZonaCats8
07-30-2009, 10:29 PM
I still don't get the whole 7-8 year rebuilding process, it just doesn't make any sense for any program. 8 years can't be considered a rebuilding phase, nothing over 5 years could even be considered that because at that point the coach would have gone through any leftover players and a set of their own.

If you aren't getting it done by then you have a whole new coach, so was Katz saying that we were guaranteed to go through 2 or 3 coaches before getting back to what we once were? That would be a pretty bold prediction.

TheCat
07-31-2009, 04:16 PM
O'Neill and Phil Johnson both on Lute's staff at the same time?????