PDA

View Full Version : NMSU Football Needs Help...

AZCoachB
08-13-2009, 05:29 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4397481

Budget cuts have Aggies going to fans

LAS CRUCES, N.M. -- Calling all New Mexico State Aggies fans. Your team has the munchies and you can help.

In a twist on Little League moms lining up with after-game treats, New Mexico State's budget-conscious football staff distributed an e-mail this week asking fans to donate after-practice or late-night snacks for hungry players.

It's a consequence of the national economy, of course.

"It's a decision we had to make with regard to our meals," first-year coach DeWayne Walker said Thursday. "There are a lot of other areas where we have to make tough choices with how we're going to spend our money."

Athletic director McKinley Boston said regents directed him to trim $1.5 million from the department's budget, dropping the overall operations figure to about $17 million for the current academic year.

"Obviously, I passed some of that on to all of our athletic programs, including football," Boston said.

That was the bad news. The good news for Walker and his players has been the community's response. The memo went out after the first day of practice, and six donors wasted no time before they ponied up.

We're not talking about Cheetos here.

"It's good stuff like trail mix or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches," linebacker Jamar Cotton said. "We had a guy bring in a bunch of watermelons. That was great. The team was excited. It was like little kids getting lollipops."

The snacks might seem like a luxury to outsiders but players say they're helpful during preseason two-a-days, when the temperature is high and the demanding practices seem endless.

And, no surprise here, young men get hungry. The Aggies eat dinner at 6 p.m., then sit through meetings until 9:30 p.m. By the time they tuck themselves in for bed, their stomachs are rumbling again.

"We practice so hard. We've got to get some extra stuff in the belly after dinner," running back Tonny Glynn said. "It's been really hot every day. We're losing weight from all the workouts."

Offensive lineman Mike Grady said it makes things easier the following day, and a way to keep the energy up.

"Definitely, it helps to go to bed with something in your stomach," he said.

The school is also publicizing an Aug. 25 banquet featuring the football and volleyball teams. Tickets are $50 per person or $600 a table, but Walker characterized that event as "more your typical fundraiser."

Walker declined to disclose how much was trimmed from his program's budget, but noted that New Mexico State's number is "a lot different" than at UCLA, where he was defensive coordinator the past three seasons.

He expressed concern that people outside New Mexico might see the team's request for snacks as juvenile.

The reality, Walker said, is that the Aggies are in the same position as many schools, forced to make tough choices this season.

"Everyone's taking cuts," he said. "I don't want anybody to read into it that we're the poorest program in the country. We're not. And we're not the only mid-level school that has to go through these kinds of issues."
I know times are tough but WOW.

Let's hope for their sake that they don't have their own "Percy" show up with homemade energy drinks! :beer:

But seriously, if I were a UNM fan, I'd be all over this...

ASUHATER!
08-13-2009, 05:32 PM
i actually think its kind of a cool idea. gets the community more involved in the team and directly supporting them. besides they probably will have a bunch of nice old mexican ladies bringing awesome tamales or other food to the team. lucky guys.

the real dill
08-13-2009, 05:43 PM
i actually think its kind of a cool idea. gets the community more involved in the team and directly supporting them. besides they probably will have a bunch of nice old mexican ladies bringing awesome tamales or other food to the team. lucky guys.

No

catgrad97
08-13-2009, 05:52 PM
No

+1.

This isn't high school here. This is (supposedly) the second-largest institution of higher education in the state of New Mexico.

There are other (far more private) routes NMSU can go if the budget shortfalls are hitting the school that badly. To ask the public to bring food by for football players after practice is a move even ASSU never contemplated and an insult to the Aggie fanbase.

As if football players couldn't afford to skip a visit or two to the training table anyway. :rolleyes:

ASUHATER!
08-13-2009, 05:55 PM
lol well if i was a football player i'd be honored to have the community support me and bring food. i agree there are probably other ways to meet budget shortfalls but budget problems or not i think its a cool thing to do, even if a school has all the money in the world.

the real dill
08-13-2009, 06:13 PM
I love the late night snack aspect of the request:

What do you guys want ?

Get some...

sour cream and onion chips...

with some dip, man.

Some beef jerky.
Some peanut butter.

Get some Haagen Dazs
ice cream bars. A whole lot.

Make sure chocolate.
Gotta have chocolate, man.

Some popcorn. Bread. Popcorn.
Graham crackers.

Graham crackers with the marshmallows,
the little marshmallows.

And little chocolate bars.
We'll make some smores, man.

Yeah, that's what
l was sayin', yo.

Also celery, grape jelly, Captain Crunch
with the little crunch berries.

Pizzas.
We need two big pizzas, man.

Everything on 'em.
With water, whole lot of water.

And... Funyuns.

Yeah.

- That's it ?
- Yeah.

- Anything else ?
- Oh, yeah.

Get me a box of condoms,
and, um, what's that stuff ?

We used to eat it all the time
back in the day.

AZCoachB
08-13-2009, 07:32 PM
I love the late night snack aspect of the request:

What do you guys want ?

Get some...

sour cream and onion chips...

with some dip, man.

Some beef jerky.
Some peanut butter.

Get some Haagen Dazs
ice cream bars. A whole lot.

Make sure chocolate.
Gotta have chocolate, man.

Some popcorn. Bread. Popcorn.
Graham crackers.

Graham crackers with the marshmallows,
the little marshmallows.

And little chocolate bars.
We'll make some smores, man.

Yeah, that's what
l was sayin', yo.

Also celery, grape jelly, Captain Crunch
with the little crunch berries.

Pizzas.
We need two big pizzas, man.

Everything on 'em.
With water, whole lot of water.

And... Funyuns.

Yeah.

- That's it ?
- Yeah.

- Anything else ?
- Oh, yeah.

Get me a box of condoms,
and, um, what's that stuff ?

We used to eat it all the time
back in the day.

Hahahahahaha. Perfect timing. :lol2:

Longhorned
08-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Economic crises aside, New Mexico is a very poor state. After the little (not enough) that goes to UNM, there aren't a lot of public funds for State.

I don't imagine a lot of wealthy boosters helping out Las Cruces, either.

azcat49
08-13-2009, 08:19 PM
+1.

This isn't high school here. This is (supposedly) the second-largest institution of higher education in the state of New Mexico.

There are other (far more private) routes NMSU can go if the budget shortfalls are hitting the school that badly. To ask the public to bring food by for football players after practice is a move even ASSU never contemplated and an insult to the Aggie fanbase.

As if football players couldn't afford to skip a visit or two to the training table anyway. :rolleyes:

Whats next, having to practice at a high schiool:lol2:

Reydituto
08-13-2009, 08:23 PM
Whats next, having to practice at a high schiool:lol2:

I wonder if they have an artificial turf practice field in addition to the stadium?