PDA

View Full Version : SEC to Ban Social Media From Games

the real dill
08-18-2009, 06:05 PM
I just don't see how they can enforce this. Are they really going to try to stop fans from tweeting during games? Confiscate cell phones and cameras? What does this mean for a company like Rivals? Will the SEC rivals site be forced to delete any and all attempts at game threads?

Not satisfied with merely pushing a rock up a hill, the Southeastern Conference (that's college sports for you non-enthusiasts out there) is going for a whole truckload of boulders.

According to Mashable, the SEC is poised to ban all social media usage at conference games. The proposed policy reads, ticketed fans can't "produce or disseminate (or aid in producing or disseminating) any material or information about the Event, including, but not limited to, any account, description, picture, video, audio, reproduction or other information concerning the Event."

http://mashable.com/2009/08/17/sec-new-media-policy/

scumdevils86
08-18-2009, 06:11 PM
That is just plain stupid.

azcat49
08-18-2009, 06:15 PM
Thats the kind of stupid rule the NCAA would come up with.

MountainCat
08-18-2009, 06:15 PM
Next thing you know they will require all players from both teams to shake hands before the game starts!

Merkin
08-18-2009, 06:21 PM
$3B from CBS for 15 years!!!! PAC needs to move up to that league.

CatintheHeat
08-18-2009, 06:23 PM
Is the SEC trying to find a way to lose fans? This rule is going to backfire on them if it is enforced. This draconian rule will never work.

F Duke
08-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Is it possible they can jam cell phone frequencies? Security must love this. Who's the bigger offender, the fan who is so drunk he just puked on his shirt or the dude next to him that's typing into his I phone?

Jumbos
08-19-2009, 12:01 AM
Is the SEC trying to find a way to lose fans? This rule is going to backfire on them if it is enforced. This draconian rule will never work.

I think the SEC will be just fine without tweeting football "fans"

ZonaCats8
08-19-2009, 12:57 AM
I don't understand how they could even try to enforce this, monitor every single twitter page to see if anyone is talking about the games? Have security in the stands looking for people on their phones and taking them away? I mean seriously, how could they seriously think they could control something like this, because I'd imagine they can't use something that would block cell phones from transmitting since there have to be tons of logical uses for phones during games for one, and second, that's gotta be illegal in some way.

BlueMikey
08-19-2009, 01:41 AM
Just another example of old-thinking people who have absolutely no clue about technology and the current generation.

scumdevils86
08-19-2009, 01:44 AM
yeah I would like to see someone tell me I can't use my phone or try to take it away during a sporting event.

Reydituto
08-19-2009, 05:17 AM
Dumb. Good luck enforcing it.