PDA

View Full Version : OT:Lou Holtz is crazy, picks Notre Dame vs Florida in Champ game

NYCats
08-24-2009, 05:17 PM
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college/2009/08/who-does-lou-holtz-say-the-gators-will-play-for-the-national-title.html

__________________________________________________ __________

"You have to realize and our guys do, that every time you come out you have 'Arizona' on your chest."-Lute Olson

Really?..Arizona State..You have an acceptance rate of 95%. You're only slightly more selective than the Burger King's Kids Club.
-----Amy Poehler

scumdevils86
08-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Even the guys on ESPN radio were railing him for it. He's in serious need of replacement..

MountainCat
08-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Former Coach of ND or not, at least pick someone in the Top Ten. BUT, What would anyone else expect from Lou?

We need a Smilie with Lou on it!

NYCats
08-24-2009, 05:32 PM
Regardless of this ridiculous pick , Lou is still great on CFL.

<object width="384" height="216" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" id="ESPN_VIDEO" data="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="all"><param name="movie" value="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="opaque"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"/><param name="flashVars" value="id=4416009"/></object>

__________________________________________________ ________________

"You have to realize and our guys do, that every time you come out you have 'Arizona' on your chest."-Lute Olson

Really?..Arizona State..You have an acceptance rate of 95%. You're only slightly more selective than the Burger King's Kids Club.
-----Amy Poehler

azcat49
08-24-2009, 10:04 PM
What's great is May looking at him thinking to himself, " what did that crazy old man say"

I do like ESPN's college football guys better then the bball guys

the real dill
08-24-2009, 10:33 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q4UFRLpwtuY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q4UFRLpwtuY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Olson Court
08-24-2009, 11:57 PM
I think he may be right ND has an easily enough schedule that they could sneak up in the polls each week since they are starting around 15 or so I think and by seasons end they could be top 3 or so. I think that a lot of people want to see ND back on top and this seasons schedule was made with the idea in mind that if they can pull off a top 3 finish in the polls they will start getting the top recruits again and the ball will start rolling for them. I wouldnt be surpirsed to see them undefeated and looking at a NC game by years end and ND football being back where it once was in the next few years.

On the other hand they do tend to self destruct and lose a lot of games they shouldnt so it could easily go either way in my opinion but it would not shock me at all to see them in the NC hunt late in the season and I think that is what the media wants to see happen and the schedule was made with this in mind.

azcat49
08-25-2009, 12:16 AM
Well they are not beating USC and I am not sure they beat Stanford. There over/under is 8.5 and I would take the under.

Flipper
08-25-2009, 12:55 AM
I think he may be right ND has an easily enough schedule that they could sneak up in the polls each week since they are starting around 15 or so I think and by seasons end they could be top 3 or so. I think that a lot of people want to see ND back on top and this seasons schedule was made with the idea in mind that if they can pull off a top 3 finish in the polls they will start getting the top recruits again and the ball will start rolling for them. I wouldnt be surpirsed to see them undefeated and looking at a NC game by years end and ND football being back where it once was in the next few years.

On the other hand they do tend to self destruct and lose a lot of games they shouldnt so it could easily go either way in my opinion but it would not shock me at all to see them in the NC hunt late in the season and I think that is what the media wants to see happen and the schedule was made with this in mind.

This little program called SC is standing in the way.

Yeah, they aint ND anymore. With their schedule, you'd think they're trying to get into the SEC or something.:);)

UofAlum05
08-25-2009, 01:01 AM
Lou might be a crazy old bat but his son Skip is the man

Adam Hawes
08-25-2009, 01:16 AM
I've never understood how or why Weis hasn't been able to put it all together in South Bend. I remember thinking they would be unstoppable when I heard he was going there.

Lou is past his prime for sure but I still get goosebumps on half of his motivational talks, I like the guy a lot.

catgrad97
08-25-2009, 01:36 AM
Lou's a good old guy, but damn. His Irish are going to lose at least three games even with a SOS of near 100.

ESPN could do the college football world a great favor if it downsized Holtz and Beano Cook into one singing duet. They could take up five solid Gameday minutes doing barbershop in front of Touchdown Jesus every Saturday morning.

Olson Court
08-25-2009, 02:02 AM
I've never understood how or why Weis hasn't been able to put it all together in South Bend. I remember thinking they would be unstoppable when I heard he was going there.

Lou is past his prime for sure but I still get goosebumps on half of his motivational talks, I like the guy a lot.

LOVE Holtz and I still think he isnt off the mark on this prediction. ALL its going to take for ND to become a top 3 team again is one good season with a shot at the NC, if they do that they will snowball quickly and start monopolizing college football recruiting. I think they finally wised up and realized that one cupcake schedule can make that happen. They became ND by playing the toughest teams anywhere anytime but the game changed faster than they did and they lost that status because of a stubborness to admit that they needed to rethink their scheduling for a few years to get back on top and get the kids noticing them again. In all truth there nowhere better to play college football as they draw HUGE fan support everywhere in the country no matter who they play and I think this year is tailor made for an ND breakout season and a trip back to where they belong, on their rightful throne in the NC game every year.

ZonaCats8
08-25-2009, 02:03 AM
While I do like his theory, they do have a ridiculously easy schedule when you look at their past schedules. But they are still ND with that b*tch of a QB, no way they don't blow at least 2 games that they should easily win.

Olson Court
08-25-2009, 02:05 AM
While I do like his theory, they do have a ridiculously easy schedule when you look at their past schedules. But they are still ND with that b*tch of a QB, no way they don't blow at least 2 games that they should easily win.

Exactly and they are starting out in the middle of the polls, they win a few games early on and some top teams lose and before you know it ND is number 3 in the country and if they hang on and win the games they should win they are right in the hunt at the end of it all.

Reydituto
08-25-2009, 04:26 AM
ESPN could do the college football world a great favor if it downsized Holtz and Beano Cook into one singing duet. They could take up five solid Gameday minutes doing barbershop in front of Touchdown Jesus every Saturday morning.

:roll: That is effing classic CG!

Flipper
08-25-2009, 11:30 AM
LOVE Holtz and I still think he isnt off the mark on this prediction. ALL its going to take for ND to become a top 3 team again is one good season with a shot at the NC, if they do that they will snowball quickly and start monopolizing college football recruiting. I think they finally wised up and realized that one cupcake schedule can make that happen. They became ND by playing the toughest teams anywhere anytime but the game changed faster than they did and they lost that status because of a stubborness to admit that they needed to rethink their scheduling for a few years to get back on top and get the kids noticing them again. In all truth there nowhere better to play college football as they draw HUGE fan support everywhere in the country no matter who they play and I think this year is tailor made for an ND breakout season and a trip back to where they belong, on their rightful throne in the NC game every year.

Disagree wholeheartedly. The whole recruiting scene has changed dramatically, with the talent in the Southeast dominated by the SEC teams, the talent in Texas dominated by OK/TX, and we know where the bulk of the Cali talent is going. Then they have to deal with OSU for the Midwest kids. Seems like those schools have first dibs at most of the skills position, and most of those guys don't want to play in the cold climate.

Notre Dame can be a perennial top 10-20 team, but they won't dominate like they did in the past. Again, the demographic shifts have a lot to do where the skills/talent are these days.

EastCoastCat
08-25-2009, 12:42 PM
Disagree wholeheartedly. The whole recruiting scene has changed dramatically, with the talent in the Southeast dominated by the SEC teams, the talent in Texas dominated by OK/TX, and we know where the bulk of the Cali talent is going. Then they have to deal with OSU for the Midwest kids. Seems like those schools have first dibs at most of the skills position, and most of those guys don't want to play in the cold climate

Notre Dame can be a perennial top 10-20 team, but they won't dominate like they did in the past. Again, the demographic shifts have a lot to do where the skills/talent are these days.

I agree somewhat but the only significant demographic shift has been in FL where there is more talent coming out of there than ever before. There has always been good talent in TX and CA so that really hasn't changed.

Notre Dame's history and tradition has very few rivals and shouldn't be underestimated as strong and effective recruiting tool. I've never attended a game at ND stadium but I hear it's almost a religious experience (excuse the pun).

They will always be in the running for top grade talent. I just think they've relied too heavily in recent years on selecting recruits based on recruiting ratings as opposed to getting players to fit a philosophy. Their recent teams have looked very slow and non-physical, which needs to change.

And let's face it...the jury is still out on Charlie Weiss. Like some of his players, he has a great resume but it's not really translating into results on the field.

Cats101
08-25-2009, 12:47 PM
He picked Clemeon last year. Nuff said.

Olson Court
08-25-2009, 01:48 PM
I agree somewhat but the only significant demographic shift has been in FL where there is more talent coming out of there than ever before. There has always been good talent in TX and CA so that really hasn't changed.

Notre Dame's history and tradition has very few rivals and shouldn't be underestimated as strong and effective recruiting tool. I've never attended a game at ND stadium but I hear it's almost a religious experience (excuse the pun).

They will always be in the running for top grade talent. I just think they've relied too heavily in recent years on selecting recruits based on recruiting ratings as opposed to getting players to fit a philosophy. Their recent teams have looked very slow and non-physical, which needs to change.

And let's face it...the jury is still out on Charlie Weiss. Like some of his players, he has a great resume but it's not really translating into results on the field.

I still say if they finish as a top 3 team and/or play in a NC game the program will immediately make a come back and dominate once again. I understand what Flipper is saying and he isnt wrong, but ND is ND, a loooot of kids grow up wanting to play football at ND they just havent been good enough to reach those kids for the last decade.

Flipper
08-25-2009, 03:45 PM
Going back, the following schools had the tradition to compete for talent with ND:

SC
OSU/MI
Alabama
OU/Texas

then Miami/FSU starting in the 80's to early 2000's.

Now, they have to deal with the rest of the SEC for that Florida talent.

I'm just saying that this day and age, it's a bunch of schools with access to TV money. Back then, ND had a monopoly on NBC, etc, etc.

Sure, they'll always have access to plenty of kids from Catholic high schools, etc, or kids forced by their parents (like Manti Teo), but I don't think it's that easy for them to be dominant again like the old days. They can be good consistently, but dominant? I'm not sure......

Olson Court
08-25-2009, 03:52 PM
Going back, the following schools had the tradition to compete for talent with ND:

SC
OSU/MI
Alabama
OU/Texas

then Miami/FSU starting in the 80's to early 2000's.

Now, they have to deal with the rest of the SEC for that Florida talent.

I'm just saying that this day and age, it's a bunch of schools with access to TV money. Back then, ND had a monopoly on NBC, etc, etc.

Sure, they'll always have access to plenty of kids from Catholic high schools, etc, or kids forced by their parents (like Manti Teo), but I don't think it's that easy for them to be dominant again like the old days. They can be good consistently, but dominant? I'm not sure......

Yea I guess dominant might not be the right word, its pretty tough to dominate with all the parity these days but I do think they are on their way back to being in the hunt consistently and this years schedule is definitely tailor made with that in mind. If they dont pull it off this year then ND football is probably effectively dead.

Winger
08-25-2009, 06:40 PM
The problem with Notre Dame is the head coach.

The Irish could very quickly go back to being a periennial Top 5-ish team with the right head coach.

Itamicbomb
08-25-2009, 06:46 PM

The Irish could very quickly go back to being a periennial Top 5-ish team with the right head coach.

I can't wait for Willingham to take the fall for this year, too.

Olson Court
08-25-2009, 07:08 PM

Nah it all goes back to Gerry Faust.:lol2:

Olson Court
08-25-2009, 07:09 PM

Urban Meyer.

Flipper
08-25-2009, 11:12 PM

Yeah, Weis would be low class enough to try that stunt in case it falls apart on him. BTW, is this his 4th or 5th season already?

Olson Court
08-25-2009, 11:52 PM
Yeah, Weis would be low class enough to try that stunt in case it falls apart on him. BTW, is this his 4th or 5th season already?

2005 to present.

azcat34
08-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Urban Meyer.

He's not going to leave, keep dreaming.

Jon Gruden I think is more realistic than Meyer, and that's a longshot.

Itamicbomb
08-26-2009, 01:22 PM
Lou's a good old guy, but damn. His Irish are going to lose at least three games even with a SOS of near 100.

Apparently Beano just picked a Florida-Notre Dame championship as well.

the real dill
08-26-2009, 01:29 PM
Apparently Beano just picked a Florida-Notre Dame championship as well.

He did. It was on The Herd

Flipper
08-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Can't wait for that thumping in October that ND will receive at home. That'll put an end to all this nonsense.

But I think somebody will beat ND before then.;):)

pokinmik
08-26-2009, 02:18 PM
I mute or change the channel when ol' Lou comes on. I can't stand hearing him talk with all that drool in his mouth.

NYCats
08-26-2009, 06:05 PM
<object classid='clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000' codebase='http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0' width='320' height='270' id='yfop'><param name='movie' value='http://d.yimg.com/m/up/fop/embedflv/swf/fop.swf' /><param name='flashvars' value='id=15227986&shareEnable=1' /><embed src='http://d.yimg.com/m/up/fop/embedflv/swf/fop.swf' width='320' height='270' name='yfop' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer' flashvars='id=15227986&shareEnable=1'></embed></object>

NCAA Football: Lou Holtz on BCS
08/25/2009 by Yahoo! Sports
Length: 4:11 | Views: 7,876
Former Notre Dame Hall of Fame coach Lou Holtz explains why the Fighting Irish could be playing in the BCS Championship.