PDA

View Full Version : Rick Pitino calls 3pm (EDT?) press conference

Morgan
08-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Pat Forde posted that on Twitter. Doesn't know what it is about.

Any speculation?

scumdevils86
08-26-2009, 02:17 PM
maybe it's actually basketball related?

Taylor
08-26-2009, 02:50 PM
He's going to resign.

CatPhanatic
08-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Is Pat Forde on the "Twitters worth following" thread?

if not, is it because he isn't worth following?

PerpEph
08-26-2009, 03:00 PM
He's going to resign.

I vote this. Or else he's getting divorced?

gumby
08-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Bullet. Dodged. See: Calipari.

Maybe he's going to apologize for running up the score.

I vote this. Or else he's getting divorced?
Who would mention that at a press conference? Oh, wait ...

Taylor
08-26-2009, 03:03 PM
Maybe he's going to say that he went to The Vatican for confession, and the Pope forgave him for his sins

CatPhanatic
08-26-2009, 03:04 PM
Jeff Goodman says he isn't resigning...

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9989434/Source:-Pitino-won%27t-resign-at-news-conference

Embattled Louisville coach Rick Pitino is holding a press conference at 3 p.m. ET today, but is not expected to resign or take a leave of absence, according to a source close to Pitino.

Lousville sports information director Kenny Klein said he does not know what Pitino plans to discuss during the press conference, but said the coach participated in individual workouts with his players Wednesday morning.

Pitino admitted two weeks ago to having a sexual encounter at a Louisville restaurant in 2003 with a woman, who was later charged with trying to extort him for millions.

Earlier on Wednesday, Louisville police released audio and video recordings of phone calls and an interview with Karen Cunagin Sypher.

Sypher is currently facing counts of extortion and lying to the FBI.

Jason Scheer
08-26-2009, 03:04 PM
The audio was released today

84Cat
08-26-2009, 03:05 PM
Sounds like he lost his mind and is calling out the media! Irony at its best. Rick Pitino holds a press conference and tells fans to avoid media coverage about his scandal.

smashmode
08-26-2009, 03:07 PM
He is attacking the media? this will be good.

Taylor
08-26-2009, 03:09 PM
The audio was released today

Somebody recorded his "encounter" in the bathroom with Sypher? :lol2:

gumby
08-26-2009, 03:12 PM
Calipari. Pitino. Floyd.

Were we looking for a coach or re-casting a soap opera?

Better to be lucky than good.

PerpEph
08-26-2009, 03:17 PM
Calipari. Pitino. Floyd.

Were we looking for a coach or re-casting a soap opera?

Better to be lucky than good.

Agreed,

Jim Livenlucky

CatPhanatic
08-26-2009, 03:17 PM
The Sypher Tapes:

Clip 1 (http://www.wlky.com/download/2009/0826/20565557.mp3)

Clip 2 (http://www.wlky.com/download/2009/0826/20565585.mp3)

Clip 3 (http://www.wlky.com/download/2009/0826/20565085.mp3)

Clip 4 (http://www.wlky.com/download/2009/0826/20566354.mp3)

gumby
08-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Agreed,

Jim Livenlucky

Oh, that's a keeper!

Jason Scheer
08-26-2009, 03:36 PM
So first he tries to blame September 11 and then he attacks the media because a senator died..

Per USA Today:

By Jody Demling, The (Louisville) Courier-Journal
University of Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino went on the offensive in defense of his name and reputation in a news conference Wednesday afternoon.
Pitino has been mired in a legal controversy after Karen Sypher — the wife of his equipment manager — was charged with trying to extort millions of dollars from him after a sexual encounter six years ago.

He called the news conference after Fox affiliate WDRB-41 ran video of Sypher's testimony to the police about the night of the encounter.

AUG. 12: Pitino vows to stay 'as long as they'll have me'

"I am a little upset," Pitino said. "This is a day I went home to comfort my wife, who obviously you would imagine the last seven months has had a difficult time.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: Rick Pitino
".. . It's a pretty sad day. On a day when Ted Kennedy died, we broke into news here in Louisville with Karen Sypher tapes."

Pitino said he had been told by his lawyers, university officials and the FBI that he shouldn't comment on the matter until the trial, which is scheduled for next month.

"Nobody can really stand up, and I really couldn't say anything," Pitino said. "But it's all a lie. You know it, everybody knows it's a lie.

"Everything that has been printed and reported and breaking into the news is 100% a lie. All of this has been a lie. It's a total fabrication of the truth except what I told you — the mistake that I made."

CBCat
08-26-2009, 03:40 PM
I still believe this will not end well for Pitino.

wassupcats
08-26-2009, 03:41 PM
That's moronic, blasting "the media" for breaking news even though Ted Kennedy died.

The Courier-Journal wouldn't be worth a damn if it led with Kennedy's news over a high-profile local coach like Pitino and this scandal.

77HoyaCat4Ever
08-26-2009, 03:43 PM
I still believe this will not end well for Pitino.

Most cougar encounters don't end well.

Chicat
08-26-2009, 04:29 PM
So wait, let me get this straight: Rick Pitino calls a press conference, inviting the press to hear the important things he has to say and to report on those things as they happen or in their next newscast, edition, issue, etc., and he then takes that opportunity to blast the press for interrupting Ted Kennedy coverage to cover the story that he just called a press conference to talk about?

Pitino has a lot of nerve telling the media how to do their job (while they're doing their job). It's not like they come to Louisville practices and tell Pitino how to successfully execute the 69 position in a public restroom!

azlax04
08-26-2009, 04:36 PM
SPitino has a lot of nerve telling the media how to do their job (while they're doing their job). It's not like they come to Louisville practices and tell Pitino how to successfully execute the 69 position in a public restroom!

Standing up, making sure you don't touch anything, particularly the toilet.

Because that's just gross.

77HoyaCat4Ever
08-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Pitino has a lot of nerve telling the media how to do their job (while they're doing their job). It's not like they come to Louisville practices and tell Pitino how to successfully execute the 69 position in a public restroom!

I thought the encounter was in an all you can eat restaurant. You mean the desyphering occurred in the rest room?

Flipper
08-26-2009, 04:52 PM
I thought the encounter was in an all you can eat restaurant. You mean the desyphering occurred in the rest room?

LOL. Tell me this was UNINTENDED.:);):lol2:

NYCats
08-26-2009, 05:13 PM
Video of the Press conference

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/99999999/MOGULUS0102/90527033&template=mogulus

Pitino: ‘Just change the channel…just read something else’
Posted on Aug 26, 2009 4:53 pm

Rick Pitino is mad as hell and he’s not going to take it anymore.
The Louisville men’s basketball coach called a news conference Wednesday after Fox affiliate WDRB-41 in Louisville ran video of Karen Sypher’s testimony to the police about her 2003 sexual encounter with Pitino.

Sypher, the wife of Louisville equipment manager and Pitino confidant Tim Sypher, was charged with trying to extort millions of dollars from Pitino, who admitted to having sex with Sypher on a restaurant table and giving her $3,000 to use for an abortion.

“I’m a very proud New Yorker and all my close family and friends had to read in the tabloids all these vicious things that were said,” Pitino, 56, said.
“I went home to comfort my wife because this has been pure hell for my family.”

Pitino even invoked the death of Sen. Edward Kennedy in his defense.

“It’s a pretty sad day,” he said. “On a day when Ted Kennedy died, we broke into news here in Louisville with Karen Sypher audio and tapes to the detective. It’s already been put out. That’s a pretty sad commentary on us.
Pitino said he had been told by his lawyers, university officials and the FBI not to comment on the Sypher situation until her trial on federal extortion charges, slated for next month.

“Nobody can really stand up, and I couldn’t say anything because my lawyer says, ‘Don’t say anything.’ The University says, ‘Don’t say anything.’ And the authorities say, ‘Don’t say anything.’ Well, enough’s enough. I am saying something. It’s a lie. It’s all a lie. You know it; everybody knows it’s a lie,” he said.

“Everything that has been printed and everything that’s been reported and everything that’s been breaking into the news is 100 percent a lie. All of this has been a lie. OK, a total fabrication of the truth except what I told you — the mistake that I’ve made. Everything else is a lie.”
He advised fans of Louisville basketball to ignore the story if it appeared on TV or in the newspaper.

“Just change the channel and if the newspapers want to write about it, just read something else,” he said.

Pitino added that the Sypher scandal hadn’t negatively impacted recruiting.
“It hasn’t hurt recruiting one bit,” he said. “We will still bring in Top 10 players. This program has been a Top 10 program the last two years. It will continue to be a Top 10 program.”

gumby
08-26-2009, 05:16 PM
Standing up, making sure you don't touch anything, particularly the toilet.

Because that's just gross.
Also known as the pick and toilet roll. Now back to my Ted Kennedy vigil.

gumby
08-26-2009, 05:18 PM
Video of the Press conference

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/99999999/MOGULUS0102/90527033&template=mogulus

Pitino: ‘Just change the channel…just read something else’
Posted on Aug 26, 2009 4:53 pm

Rick Pitino is mad as hell and he’s not going to take it anymore.
The Louisville men’s basketball coach called a news conference Wednesday after Fox affiliate WDRB-41 in Louisville ran video of Karen Sypher’s testimony to the police about her 2003 sexual encounter with Pitino.

Sypher, the wife of Louisville equipment manager and Pitino confidant Tim Sypher, was charged with trying to extort millions of dollars from Pitino, who admitted to having sex with Sypher on a restaurant table and giving her $3,000 to use for an abortion.

“I’m a very proud New Yorker and all my close family and friends had to read in the tabloids all these vicious things that were said,” Pitino, 56, said.
“I went home to comfort my wife because this has been pure hell for my family.”

Pitino even invoked the death of Sen. Edward Kennedy in his defense.

“It’s a pretty sad day,” he said. “On a day when Ted Kennedy died, we broke into news here in Louisville with Karen Sypher audio and tapes to the detective. It’s already been put out. That’s a pretty sad commentary on us.
Pitino said he had been told by his lawyers, university officials and the FBI not to comment on the Sypher situation until her trial on federal extortion charges, slated for next month.

“Nobody can really stand up, and I couldn’t say anything because my lawyer says, ‘Don’t say anything.’ The University says, ‘Don’t say anything.’ And the authorities say, ‘Don’t say anything.’ Well, enough’s enough. I am saying something. It’s a lie. It’s all a lie. You know it; everybody knows it’s a lie,” he said.

“Everything that has been printed and everything that’s been reported and everything that’s been breaking into the news is 100 percent a lie. All of this has been a lie. OK, a total fabrication of the truth except what I told you — the mistake that I’ve made. Everything else is a lie.”
He advised fans of Louisville basketball to ignore the story if it appeared on TV or in the newspaper.

“Just change the channel and if the newspapers want to write about it, just read something else,” he said.

Pitino added that the Sypher scandal hadn’t negatively impacted recruiting.
“It hasn’t hurt recruiting one bit,” he said. “We will still bring in Top 10 players. This program has been a Top 10 program the last two years. It will continue to be a Top 10 program.”

Her name is Sypher? She's married to an equipment manager?

Is this The Onion?

gumby
08-26-2009, 05:19 PM
I thought the encounter was in an all you can eat restaurant.
Stop the slander. It was a very classy restaurant.

catgrad97
08-26-2009, 06:02 PM
Sounds like he lost his mind and is calling out the media! Irony at its best. Rick Pitino holds a press conference and tells fans to avoid media coverage about his scandal.

And Pitino doesn't have any medical excuse here.

Sorry, but all I can think of in reading about this Pitino meltdown is the Lute press conference calling Pascoe "Columbo" and telling Hansen they were back where they started. And this was in the middle of his series of mini-strokes as well as his separation from Christine Torretti.

Yes, that conduct was unbecoming of Lute, but in the light of this thread his offense was light--and his targets arguably got what they deserved.

It's not like Lute did anything to destroy his personal life--except grow old, and handle being a man in his mid-70s about as well as anyone that age in his position could possibly be expected to.

Whereas Rick Pitino stepped out on HIS faithful wife in a restaurant bathroom, and suddenly it's the media's fault. :rolleyes:

In the low hierarchy of character of successful college basketball coach in the contemporary landscape, U of A fans really need to appreciate how Lute Olson had few equals.

Because I can almost guarantee nobody else will. Hell, some of Rick's "friends" at ESPN are no doubt typing away their 'spin' on this one that will somehow give Pitino a pass on not only his meltdown, but the "mistake" that occasioned it as well.

LikesMikey
08-26-2009, 06:16 PM
If he would have just kept his pecker in his pants nobody would be discussing anything about him. What an arrogant little prick he is, I can't wait to watch any Louisville away game this year. The tourney games should be something else to see, condoms coming down from the rafters, should be a riot.

gumby
08-26-2009, 06:56 PM
If he would have just kept his pecker in his pants nobody would be discussing anything about him. What an arrogant little prick he is, I can't wait to watch any Louisville away game this year. The tourney games should be something else to see, condoms coming down from the rafters, should be a riot.
Instead of programs, everyone could hold up menus.

phenom5
08-26-2009, 07:20 PM
I don't know about this whole Pitino situation...but I could watch Frank Beamer take that elbow to the dome all day long.

77HoyaCat4Ever
08-26-2009, 07:27 PM
LOL. Tell me this was UNINTENDED.:);):lol2:

Playing hide the sausage is almost always intentional

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g126/konagod/konagod2/sausage.jpg

gumby
08-26-2009, 07:35 PM
You have to give him credit for efficiency. The dinner and the sex in the same place.

These are busy people.

azlax04
08-26-2009, 08:23 PM
You have to give him credit for efficiency. The dinner and the sex in the same place.

These are busy people.

Sypher: What would you like to order?
Pitino: I'll have a steak. Rare.
Sypher: For your sides?
Pitino: The potatoes. Mashed. Annnnnnnnnnnd vegetables.
Sypher: Anything else?
Pitino: Can I get a side of p*ssy?
Sypher: Bathroom. Five minutes

13 minutes later...

Equipment Manager: Dude, you gonna marry that?
Pitino: Naw, I'm done.
Equipment Manager: Score!

TheCat
08-26-2009, 08:36 PM
I read all 100+ pages of her statement to the detective on the "Smoking Gun" . She can barely complete a coherent sentence. You read the statement and you walk away knowing she is a total nut. No wonder the prosecution said she might not be able to assist in her own defense. The PROSECUTION is giving here an insanity plea.....

Of well.....it is still fun to make light of Rick's FU.

77HoyaCat4Ever
08-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Her name is Sypher? She's married to an equipment manager?

Is this The Onion?

She certainly familiarized herself with Louisville's equipment.

77HoyaCat4Ever
08-26-2009, 08:55 PM

These are busy people.

Sypher: What would you like to order?
Pitino: I'll have a steak. Rare.
Sypher: For your sides?
Pitino: The potatoes. Mashed. Annnnnnnnnnnd vegetables.
Sypher: Anything else?
Pitino: Can I get a side of p*ssy?
Sypher: Bathroom. Five minutes

13 minutes later...

Equipment Manager: Dude, you gonna marry that?
Pitino: Naw, I'm done.
Equipment Manager: Score!

What about dessert? The www.pageoneKentucky.com website has a desert-naming contest for Porcini's restaurant, the site of the alleged dick and dine.

CONTEST: Name New Pitino-Sypher Dessert
August 12th, 2009 · 45 Comments
So, in honor of Rick Pitino humping Karen Sypher at Porcini and then paying for her abortion…

What should Porcini name its new dessert in honor of the infamous event?

http://www.pageonekentucky.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/dessert.jpg

gumby
08-26-2009, 10:11 PM
She certainly familiarized herself with Louisville's equipment.
you mean, his Slugger?

gumby
08-26-2009, 10:12 PM
I read all 100+ pages of her statement to the detective on the "Smoking Gun" . She can barely complete a coherent sentence. You read the statement and you walk away knowing she is a total nut. No wonder the prosecution said she might not be able to assist in her own defense. The PROSECUTION is giving here an insanity plea.....

Of well.....it is still fun to make light of Rick's FU.
Yeah, it's shocking that she isn't bright. What's his excuse?

TheCat
08-28-2009, 11:48 AM
He isn't very bright either if he calls out the press when he knows they will circle the wagons.

I don't know if she is bright or not but reading her statements shows there are some issues there.

NYCats
03-30-2012, 01:08 PM
Karen Sypher Wrote A Book About All The Times She Says Rick Pitino Raped Her

You know the old saying: Rape me once, shame on you; rape me fourteen times, maybe I should stop coming over to your apartment and having consensual sex with you. deadspin

MrBug708
03-30-2012, 01:10 PM
Man, Rick Pitino should have only been the second coach after John Wooden

MrBug708
03-30-2012, 01:11 PM
Karen Sypher Wrote A Book About All The Times She Says Rick Pitino Raped Her

You know the old saying: Rape me once, shame on you; rape me fourteen times, maybe I should stop coming over to your apartment and having consensual sex with you. deadspin

Statistically speaking, gang rape is enjoyed by 9 out of 10 people

Merkin
03-30-2012, 01:17 PM
14 times X 15 seconds each = a total of 3.5 minutes.

LBdCactus
03-30-2012, 08:44 PM
Statistically speaking, gang rape is enjoyed by 9 out of 10 people

haha, I will be using that one in the future.

84Cat
12-09-2012, 12:46 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DsthsP9x0pM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>