PDA

View Full Version : OK, this means WAR!!!

RichardCranium
08-28-2009, 02:32 AM
So I'm walking down MY freakin suburban shopping strip in MY freakin' neighborhood in MY freakin' suburb. I've just bought some bacon at the Russian Deli, and some cheese from the Greek Deli. Had a very nice latte and a slice of apple and coconut tart from Santucci's, and I'm enjoying the walk back to my car.

Anyway, like I said, I was minding my own business, enjoying the day, the first nice day in about a week, when this guy starts to walk by me. I'm not paying any more attention to him than I am paying to anyone else. Just minding my own business, I tell you. I glance across at him when he is still about 15 feet away and BLAM for no reason what so ever I'm hit right between the eyes. I mean what did I do to deserve that? Nothing I tell you. I was feeling great, had a smile on my face, and did nothing to the guy. But BLAM. Right between the eyes, out of nowhere, and for no reason.

The guy had a Duke T-Shirt on.

In MY neighborhood, in Australia. What did I do to deserve that? Right there, plain as day, in public view: Duke Blue Devils. The nerve of the guy!

As he got closer, I said "Duke sucks, Bear down Arizona" and he looked at me like I was from another planet. He didn't even know that Duke was a real university or that there were rivalries between universities. There is so much Chinese fake team mascot stuff in Oz that it is sometimes hard to know when something is real. He couldn't even remember where or how he got it (yeah right, it was almost brand new). Probably traded a joint to a backpacker or maybe he didn't want to admit that his granny brought it back as a souvenir or something.

Anyway, I now have a determination to upgrade my wardrobe. I've lost my U of A light jacket, and my baseball shirt reached retirement age years ago.

gumby
08-28-2009, 10:01 AM
He hit you from 15 feet away? That rules out Jay Williams.

Merkin
08-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Are you sure it was him? In Soviet Russia the bacon fries you up!

had a smile on my face,

That explains it.

Taylor
08-28-2009, 10:58 AM
So I'm walking down MY freakin suburban shopping strip in MY freakin' neighborhood in MY freakin' suburb. I've just bought some bacon at the Russian Deli, and some cheese from the Greek Deli. Had a very nice latte and a slice of apple and coconut tart from Santucci's, and I'm enjoying the walk back to my car.

Anyway, like I said, I was minding my own business, enjoying the day, the first nice day in about a week, when this guy starts to walk by me. I'm not paying any more attention to him than I am paying to anyone else. Just minding my own business, I tell you. I glance across at him when he is still about 15 feet away and BLAM for no reason what so ever I'm hit right between the eyes. I mean what did I do to deserve that? Nothing I tell you. I was feeling great, had a smile on my face, and did nothing to the guy. But BLAM. Right between the eyes, out of nowhere, and for no reason.

In MY neighborhood, in Australia. What did I do to deserve that? Right there, plain as day, in public view: Duke Blue Devils. The nerve of the guy!

As he got closer, I said "Duke sucks, Bear down Arizona" and he looked at me like I was from another planet. He didn't even know that Duke was a real university or that there were rivalries between universities. There is so much Chinese fake team mascot stuff in Oz that it is sometimes hard to know when something is real. He couldn't even remember where or how he got it (yeah right, it was almost brand new). Probably traded a joint to a backpacker or maybe he didn't want to admit that his granny brought it back as a souvenir or something.

Anyway, I now have a determination to upgrade my wardrobe. I've lost my U of A light jacket, and my baseball shirt reached retirement age years ago.

Been taking writing lessons from ZonaDefender?

Itamicbomb
08-28-2009, 03:48 PM

This will probably only encourage such behavior, but you have no idea how old that gets. Some people like Duke...deal with it.

RichardCranium
08-28-2009, 08:46 PM
He hit you from 15 feet away? That rules out Jay Williams.

Before I get too much flak, I wasn't physically hit. It was the image that I was assaulted by.

This will probably only encourage such behavior, but you have no idea how old that gets. Some people like Duke...deal with it.

Geeze, you Dookies need to change your mascot from Blue Devils to Debbie Downers.

I'm just having some fun, fer cryin' out loud.

Itamicbomb
08-28-2009, 08:53 PM
Geeze, you Dookies need to change your mascot from Blue Devils to Debbie Downers.

I'm just having some fun, fer cryin' out loud.

I don't really think I'm being a Debbie Downer by pointing out that you lived up to your handle. It's expected when I go to the Comcast Center, it's cute when it happens in a sports bar, but it gets obnoxious when some ****wad in the grocery store parking lot decides that I need to know just how much he dislikes Duke.

Taylor
08-28-2009, 10:12 PM
it gets obnoxious when some ****wad in the grocery store parking lot decides that I need to know just how much he dislikes Duke.

Sorry, man, I didn't know that was you.

scumdevils86
08-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Every Duke fan needs to know 24/7 how much everyone else dislikes Duke. Doesn't matter if it's annoying or not ;)

godpapa
08-28-2009, 10:51 PM
Time to go to the mattresses

Merkin
08-28-2009, 10:56 PM
If they had any refs there, the foul would be on you RC! Offensive Foul!

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1690/photorealp26.jpg (http://img198.imageshack.us/i/photorealp26.jpg/)

gumby
08-28-2009, 11:59 PM
I don't really think I'm being a Debbie Downer by pointing out that you lived up to your handle. It's expected when I go to the Comcast Center, it's cute when it happens in a sports bar, but it gets obnoxious when some ****wad in the grocery store parking lot decides that I need to know just how much he dislikes Duke.
Nobody knows the troubles he sees ...

ghostwhitehorse
08-29-2009, 12:06 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P9jHa-y24hM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P9jHa-y24hM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

RichardCranium
08-29-2009, 02:42 AM

At Comcast, I would expect you to take it as obnoxious. If you go half way around the world and someone acknowledges that they 'get' your T-shirt and acknowledges the rivalry why would you take it anyway other than in good nature? I got pulled up by a guy in the Melbourne CBD years ago when I was wearing my UA jacket (now lost). He lifted his sweater to reveal an ASU T-Shirt. He got it when he was a visiting physicist at some ASU/NASA joint venture (maybe the one that is publishing the moon shots from the Lunar Orbiter?). We went and had a beer. Lighten up man.

This Dukie didn't even have the good grace to acknowledge he had any knowledge of Duke at all. It was just a random T-Shirt design to him. Sorta like wearing a Metallica T-shirt when the only thinh you know about pop music is Perry Como and Liberace.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P9jHa-y24hM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P9jHa-y24hM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That is EXACTLY where I got the thread title from.

Two Bits
08-29-2009, 02:55 AM

That's just a myth. ;)

UA Direct
08-29-2009, 03:14 AM
That's just a myth. ;)

I knocked down a hornets nest - stung 15 times, it was Awesome Baby!!!

Itamicbomb
08-29-2009, 02:32 PM
Sorry, man, I didn't know that was you.

Gil is such a bad influence. Thought you could have at least given a good line about one of Coach K's daughters :)

At Comcast, I would expect you to take it as obnoxious. If you go half way around the world and someone acknowledges that they 'get' your T-shirt and acknowledges the rivalry why would you take it anyway other than in good nature? I got pulled up by a guy in the Melbourne CBD years ago when I was wearing my UA jacket (now lost). He lifted his sweater to reveal an ASU T-Shirt. He got it when he was a visiting physicist at some ASU/NASA joint venture (maybe the one that is publishing the moon shots from the Lunar Orbiter?). We went and had a beer. Lighten up man.

Did that dude greet you by saying "Arizona sucks?" I don't think I've ever worn a t-shirt for "acknowledgment" by random people on the street, yet plenty of jackasses decide they're going to take time out of their day to run their mouth for no reason. It probably sucks more for the people who went there and don't even like basketball. It's not an issue of lightening up - I almost always laugh at the idiots who do this.

There is no Arizona-Duke rivalry.

Taylor
08-29-2009, 03:31 PM
Gil is such a bad influence. Thought you could have at least given a good line about one of Coach K's daughters :)

y.
I think they just do players. Never heard anything about coke habits.