PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassing night for the PAC 10

ejfreed
09-04-2009, 01:44 AM
Nike U with 0 first downs and 5 minutes time of possession in the first half.

Blount acting like Ron Artest.

Bad night.

econocat
09-04-2009, 01:58 AM
Nike U with 0 first downs and 5 minutes time of possession in the first half.

Blount acting like Ron Artest.

Bad night.

Especially with all the pundits saying this was a down year in the PAC. Looks much, much worse now as Oregon was predicted to be 3rd. People will be surprised by Arizona this year.

Red Army Mother
09-04-2009, 03:01 AM
Only SEC guy cares about conferences. While I don't like seeing the Pac-10 get bashed on in the media, truthfully, if OU wins, they most people think they beat an inferior BSU team. Most people around the country don't respect the Broncos and what they have accomplished. I can't stand Oregon, they walk and get totally exposed for not having a defensive or offensive line, they are going to start at least 1-2 and then go into Pac-10 play, I see this as helping Arizona and that is what really matters.

UA Direct
09-04-2009, 03:11 AM
Petty much how I figured the game would go, minus the early missed opportunities. Peterson has a great future ahead of him. He can die a Bronco, or move on to a bigger school.

Like it or not, BSU is a player without the benefit of conference affiliation.

BlueMikey
09-04-2009, 03:13 AM
I see this as helping Arizona and that is what really matters.

How on Earth does a Pac-10 team getting embarrassed on national TV help Arizona??

At best, it reduces the significance of an Arizona win over Oregon. But it does worse than that. The worse the Pac-10 does, the less everyone pays attention to the Pac-10. If neither Arizona nor Oregon are ranked when they play, none of the major highlights shows cover the game and it reduces the amount of outlets that would show the game.

Part of the reason Pac-10 teams have such trouble getting into the BCS championship and getting two teams into the BCS series are because of games like this.

It's always bad for Arizona whenever any Pac-10 team gets embarrassed like Oregon did tonight.

UA Direct
09-04-2009, 03:23 AM
How on Earth does a Pac-10 team getting embarrassed on national TV help Arizona??

It's of no benefit to Arizona at all. It was a very tough game for me to watch, having lived in So. Idaho for 27 years.

In the end, I had to root for my home town (Boise), even if it were to cost my adopted team (Arizona).

Guess I'm built in a way that I'll root for both teams evey game.

beames
09-04-2009, 03:38 AM
Unfortunately, I don't think this is any indication of how Oregon's O will ultimately play this year. That said, Oregon will put up a ton of points and probably still finish with only 3 or 4 losses. They will end up taking out other teams that might've had a chance otherwise and this will mean bad things for the conference because Oregon will get absolutely no respect from here on out. After the initial points, their D didn't really play that poorly, especially since they expect their offense to put 40 or more on the scoreboard.

LegallyKenny
09-04-2009, 03:59 AM
Petty much how I figured the game would go, minus the early missed opportunities. Peterson has a great future ahead of him. He can die a Bronco, or move on to a bigger school.

Yeah that has worked out really well for the last two BSU coaches.

UA Direct
09-04-2009, 04:14 AM
Yeah that has worked out really well for the last two BSU coaches.

I'm just saying that if he wants to be like Mark Few, he can stick around at BSU for a long time. Hawkins, for whatever reason moved on to a morally bankrupt University. One would think that Hawkins is a Lawyer at heart!

WaysouthCat
09-04-2009, 04:14 AM

At best, it reduces the significance of an Arizona win over Oregon. But it does worse than that. The worse the Pac-10 does, the less everyone pays attention to the Pac-10. If neither Arizona nor Oregon are ranked when they play, none of the major highlights shows cover the game and it reduces the amount of outlets that would show the game.

Part of the reason Pac-10 teams have such trouble getting into the BCS championship and getting two teams into the BCS series are because of games like this.

It's always bad for Arizona whenever any Pac-10 team gets embarrassed like Oregon did tonight.

I think the bigger picture for the PAC not getting into the BCS is that we're just not "playing the system" like the SEC, Big 10 and Big 12. Schedule 3 cupcakes so the whole conference has a good W-L record, don't play every team in your conference, have a "conference championship" game to bump your BCS rank and voila! BCS appearance.

Maybe we should expand to 12 teams and join the party?

pc in NM
09-04-2009, 09:27 AM
The University of Zero lived up to it's name

An embarrassment to the entire conference - both on the field and after the game....

Winger
09-04-2009, 09:29 AM
I think the bigger picture for the PAC not getting into the BCS is that we're just not "playing the system" like the SEC, Big 10 and Big 12. Schedule 3 cupcakes so the whole conference has a good W-L record, don't play every team in your conference, have a "conference championship" game to bump your BCS rank and voila! BCS appearance.

Maybe we should expand to 12 teams and join the party?

The reason the Pac 10 doesn't usually send more than team to the BCS is $$$$.

Assuming Arizona is good this year, but not BCS-quality, a bad Oregon team makes it easier for Arizona to finish higher in the Pac 10, and doesn't hurt that much w/r/t the BCS bowls as we wouldn't have qualified for one anyway.

It's somewhat interesting to me that folks will tend to use Oregon-BSU as a measure of the Pac 10 being weak, but don't use Utah-Alabama in the same manner (or maybe BSU-OU w/r/t the Big 12).

I agree with the folks that say that UO beating BSU would have been dismissed by the rest of football country as "meh, it's BSU" as well.

CatsbyAZ
09-04-2009, 10:14 AM

Remember those last four brutal games the Cats have on their sched? Cal, Oregon, ASU, USC to end the year? With Oregon looking as bad a they did last night, their defense sucking wind, their vaunted offense scoring 8 pts, and possibly losing their 2nd most talented offensive player, I think those four games suddenly look much more managable. And the closer we get to the season the more concern show up on ASU's end of things. That's two of those four games that possibly got a lot easier, leaving the Cats with a greater margin for error in hopes for a winning season.

That's how I see it helping Zona.

We're not a program like USC who really needs the PacTen to boost it's computer points. Last night's game is worse for them. Only USC competes nationally with the LSUs, Floridas, and the Oklahomas for those computer decided BCS chairs. If Zona takes care of biz, wins enough for a bowl, they'll be on national TV and get the needed attention.

Pop McKale
09-04-2009, 10:42 AM
The "See? The Pac-10 is really down." mantra is inevitable. So what? It was one game. At the bottom of it all, the only thing last night proved is that Oregon sucks. Personally, I couldn't care less and got a kick out of the myriad of crowd shots showing the goofy lightening yellow-clad folks sitting in disbelief while having to eat s*** from the BSU fans.

EastCoastCat
09-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Although Oregon looked like crap and was only able to muster 8 points, they were playing a ranked team at their place (where BSU is almost unbeatable) and lost by only 11 points.

The game wasn't as much as an embarrassment...but Blount's actions afterwards will be a black mark for a long time.

ASUHATER!
09-04-2009, 12:46 PM
i always thought oregon was overranked this season. they lost their coach of 14 years and returned the fewest starters in the conference, yet were annointed the 2nd or 3rd best team and a top 15 or so team. yet we brought back like 5 more starters and our coaches and were picked 8th. i always thought they were a 7-5 team this year.

Bison79
09-04-2009, 12:48 PM
That douchebag Blount better be suspended for the rest of the season, anything shorter is a slap in the face to anyone who competes in sports.

So Blount got taunted on the field, grow a set of nuts, ya chicken****.

cridkid
09-04-2009, 01:08 PM
I was with those who thought that Oregon was much overhyped and overrated to start the season. I did not expect them to win in Boise, although I expected a better showing than what they gave. If the media had looked more objectively at the Ducks and not contributed the unrealistic expectations they had, this loss wouldn't look as bad for the PAC-10. However, now the nation thinks they just saw the PAC-10's 2nd or 3rd best team get embarrassed on national TV, when in reality I don't think the Duck's are one of even the top 5 teams in the PAC this year. To me, this is where overhyping a team really hurt the perception of the conference. Hopefully as the season plays out and everyone sees Oregon for what they are, this loss will be put in better perspective.

BlueMikey
09-04-2009, 01:33 PM
That's how I see it helping Zona.

Two different questions, though.

Oregon being bad when they play Arizona is good for Arizona.
Oregon's offense getting absolutely manhandled out of conference on ESPN is bad for Arizona.

Luuuuuuuuuuuute
09-04-2009, 01:34 PM
OOPS, WRONG THREAD!

I see Oregon suspending Blount for 5, maybe 6 games. Probably 6. Hmm, let's see, that would make him eligible to come back around Halloween. Who do they play that week? Oh, USC. Hmmmmmm :wink2:

CatsbyAZ
09-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Two different questions, though.

Oregon being bad when they play Arizona is good for Arizona.
Oregon's offense getting absolutely manhandled out of conference on ESPN is bad for Arizona.

Yeah, but UA is so far near the bottom of the food chain in regards to who it hurts that the effect is negligible.

It hurts Oregon the most.
It hurts the PacTen, but within the PacTen it hurts the teams positioned (USC, Cal, scratch Oregon) for a BCS run.
Since UA is middle of the pack, no one cares to take light of our record in reflection to Oregon's humiliation.

Cats101
09-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Yeah, but UA is so far near the bottom of the food chain in regards to who it hurts that the effect is negligible.

It hurts Oregon the most.
It hurts the PacTen, but within the PacTen it hurts the teams positioned (USC, Cal, scratch Oregon) for a BCS run.
Since UA is middle of the pack, no one cares to take light of our record in reflection to Oregon's humiliation.

That was my thought.

Unless we're making some kind of title run, I don't think it hurts us. More like USC if anyything and well I guess it does make the PAC look bad. But I thought Oregon was overrated to begin with so...

barringer97
09-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Embarrassing for Oregon.

They looked awful.

TheCat
09-04-2009, 03:21 PM
They were playing a team that had gone 60+-2 at home and was highly ranked. Think it said more about BSU then O.

LegallyKenny
09-04-2009, 03:25 PM
They were playing a team that had gone 60+-2 at home and was highly ranked. Think it said more about BSU then O.

If that's the case than Boise State apparently has one of the best defenses in college history.

TheCat
09-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Certainly O should have played better but I don't think anyone should be surprised that BSU won the game. That better?

BSU was favored and has has the best home winning record of the last decade.

barringer97
09-04-2009, 03:29 PM
6 returning starters for BSU?

Phil Steele didn't have Oregon in his top 50; he might have been on to something.

ASUHATER!
09-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Certainly O should have played better but I don't think anyone should be surprised that BSU won the game. That better?

BSU was favored and has has the best home winning record of the last decade.

but keep in mind that oregon was the first ranked team to EVER play at boise's stadium.