09-06-2009, 09:54 PM
So when do you fire this guy?

alieberman
09-06-2009, 10:02 PM

2 years ago.

azcat49
09-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Dang, Scheer I was going to starta thread on this as well. He is like the Monson coach of Gonzaga BBall. Went from the Zags to Minnesota with little success.

Maybe thats why Peterson will stay at Boise St. You can win 90% of your games and have a lifetime of security. He only has to get ready for a couple games a year.

Like what I am seeing out of Fairchild though

Reydituto
09-06-2009, 10:23 PM
I was just looking at his depth chart. Aside from OG Ryan Miller & WR Marques Simas, most of his top recruits from the last 3 years are buried on the depth chart. Darrell Scott, from what I can tell, is the 4th String TB, and backup punter, limited to KO return duty. Hawkins turned Ray Polk (remember how much some of us wanted him?) into a backup SS. Blake Behrens is the backup OG to Miller. Jon Major is a 3rd string LB, behind Shaun Mohler (another 4* LB) at 2nd string. Anthony Wright is a 3rd string CB. Sione Tau (remember that ahole) is nowhere to be found on the depth chart, and I can't find Nate Vaiomounga, Lynn Katoa, Max Tuioti-Mariner or stud FR DE Nick Kasa on the 2/3 deep.

More of these guys should either be contributing or should have been able to beat out less talented/more experienced upperclassmen sooner.

CatsbyAZ
09-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Dang, I see what you mean. Getting smoked by Colorado State late in the 4th.

Itamicbomb
09-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Go coach intramurals, brother.

DoodieTang
09-06-2009, 10:49 PM
Dang, Scheer I was going to starta thread on this as well. He is like the Monson coach of Gonzaga BBall. Went from the Zags to Minnesota with little success.

Maybe thats why Peterson will stay at Boise St. You can win 90% of your games and have a lifetime of security. He only has to get ready for a couple games a year.

Like what I am seeing out of Fairchild though

Don't forget Koetter made the Boise St jump first

hoops7243
09-07-2009, 12:29 AM
that was poor clock management tonight. He has to go. Try the other QB, sit your son Hawkins!

Morgan
09-07-2009, 12:34 AM
Biggest problems are they aren't physical on the OL and can't get a running game going. His son isn't very good and they run lots of screens that make his numbers look better. Not enough arm strength to be a Big 12 QB.

In Re UofA
09-07-2009, 01:03 AM
Since when did he start gelling his hair? I almost didn't recognize him. the OL and QB criticisms are spot on.

Is there still a belief among faculty and community that sports aren't a big deal?

TucsonDon
09-07-2009, 03:40 AM
The CSU game had to be a worrisome one for Hawkins to start off this year. Buffs got blown the eff up at the line of scrimmage, which makes sense because State has the most experienced O-Line in the entire country based on games started. I'm sure he wasn't shocked to see his kids getting knocked on their heels consistently.

As for that program, he's having a hard time pulling in the kids CU used to get from California and other places where the soil is more fertile. They've done a much better job in the past couple years keeping the very best players (like Miller, Kasa, Bryce Givens...etc) from Colorado at home but they won't be able to compete with the rest of the Big 12 like they used to until they get the out-of-staters. You've got to give Hawkins credit however for keeping the hometown kids, at the least. When CU really slipped into obscurity was when it allowed 'SC to come in and take LenDale White, Jeff Byers and Butch Lewis while also getting beaten for natives by Texas and OU within the league.

coeagle
09-07-2009, 03:44 AM
So, can Chris Petersen be a good coach in a big conference? It's hard to tell with the boise coaches.

coeagle
09-07-2009, 03:48 AM
Also, Don doesn't give a **** about the UofA so why give him air? He's gone to at least 9 different fake colleges.

TucsonDon
09-07-2009, 03:50 AM
Also, Don doesn't give a **** about the UofA so why give him air? He's gone to at least 9 different fake colleges.

Are you drunk?

I don't know what either of these sentences mean nor what any of it has to do with what I posted (let alone Dan Hawkins).

Winger
09-07-2009, 10:15 AM
The CSU game had to be a worrisome one for Hawkins to start off this year.

As for that program, he's having a hard time pulling in the kids CU used to get from California and other places where the soil is more fertile.

The program was pretty much blown up when Barnett was canned.

But you're right about recruiting, and In Re UofA is also right, the faculty at CU aren't the most avid supporters of football in the world.

It's not like Hawk can't judge talent or doesn't know how to recruit, but TD is dead on w/r/t CU having great difficulty recruiting in California and Texas. One can not build a Top 25 program with Colorado recruits, and the bad press is beginning to have an effect on the types of guys Hawk signs.

The students support the team fairly well (and literally party - especially for the CSU game - like none I have ever seen) and the alumni and boosters still have the 1990s fresh enough in their mind (and lots still live near enough to Boulder) that there is support there as well.

Some of the above is why if I am a CU football guy I have to support a move to the Pac 10.

On paper, the Hawkins hire should have been a slam dunk, I am somewhat at a loss for why is hasn't worked out better. Barnett was only 49-38 and it's not like he had the Buffs in BCS bowls every year (once) and only had 2 teams ranked at the end of the season.

This is Hawk's 4th season, my take is that there are still a lot of folks rooting for him to succeed, enough that I think baring a complete collapse, he will have this and next season to proove up. Though I share the opinion of other around here that the only way CU gets "back" in this current environment is to get someone with more of a name.

gumby
09-07-2009, 11:46 AM

Hawkins' first three years:

13-24 overall; 8-16 (in conference)

Stoops:

12-22, 8-17.

Stoops' fourth year, 5-7, 4-5.

CU blown up by Barnett; Arizona blown up by Mackovic.

Jason Scheer
09-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Colorado was in much better shape when Hawkins took over

Zona_Soccer10
09-07-2009, 01:04 PM
He definately needs to try something else. That was a game he desperately needed.

gumby
09-07-2009, 02:26 PM

So what's the answer to your question?

Winger
09-07-2009, 05:36 PM

I don't know about "much".

Hawkins had a long track record of success at BSU before he arrived at CU, so it's not like he didn't know how to coach or recruit, or that he was unproven.

CU was 7-5 the year before Hawk arrived, but they were hit with sanctions by the NCAA b/c of Barnett and went 2-10 in Hawkins' first year.

So, unless you think the BSU success was a mirage, you have to conclude the program was in pretty bad shape when Hawkins took over.

Not dissimilar from Arizona, and Hawk's record his first few seasons has been eerily similar to Stoops.

Jason Scheer
09-07-2009, 09:38 PM
I don't know about "much".

Hawkins had a long track record of success at BSU before he arrived at CU, so it's not like he didn't know how to coach or recruit, or that he was unproven.

CU was 7-5 the year before Hawk arrived, but they were hit with sanctions by the NCAA b/c of Barnett and went 2-10 in Hawkins' first year.

So, unless you think the BSU success was a mirage, you have to conclude the program was in pretty bad shape when Hawkins took over.

Not dissimilar from Arizona, and Hawk's record his first few seasons has been eerily similar to Stoops.

Weren't the sanctions minimal? That was a bowl team the year before Hawkins got there..

Winger
09-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Weren't the sanctions minimal? That was a bowl team the year before Hawkins got there..

Yeah, you are probably right.

What I was trying to get at was that Hawk was 53-11 at BSU over 5 seasons, which would suggest to me that he can coach and recruit a bit.

CU was a bowl team (loss to Clemson 19-10 in the Champs Sports Bowl) the season before Hawk arrived, but it had been 5 seasons since Colorado was really any good (Top 25ish) and the recruiting classes the two years before he arrived and the season he arrived were ranked 49, 43, and 48 and had 1, 1, and 0 **** or better players.

Couple the two above with Hawk's record his first season (2-10), and I arrived at not much better.

I think I am wrong on that as Arizona was probably more decimated when Stoops arrived.

What I can't understand, is Hawk's record at BSU if he really is a crappy coach ... course as a CU fan I might be rationalizing too much and looking through hope tinted lenses.

Jason Scheer
09-08-2009, 10:03 AM
It's also a different level of competition..lets be honest here..Boise State has not had a coach that has been bad there in a while..Koetter, Hawkins, Petersen, etc.

Winger
09-08-2009, 10:12 AM
True. And Koetter didn't exactly light things up at ASU, and Pererson has been better at BSU than Hawkins was.

Colorado's problems have been widespread (relatively poor defense and offense, line play, etc.), but something that I notice when I am there is that Cody is too short to see the field. He is a gamer, can run a bit, and can throw with accuracy, but it really seems like he has a very hard time seeing the field. There are lots of folks waiting to see what Hawkins can do with a better QB.

Problem for me is he has really only had one good recruiting class since he has been here and I remain unconvinced that the Big 12 North is the best place for Colorado from a recruiting standpoint. So I as of yet don't see reason to expect that the rest of the talent is good enough for Top 25ish success even if the QB play improves.

Winger
09-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Add one more ... the word on the street is that there is a significant faction of the team that is pissed that Hansen isn't getting any reps at QB.

The report out of camp was that both played similar, though are different styles (Hansen is more of a playmaker). Sound familiar?

So you've got the rumor of an in-team QB controversy where the QB who is currently playing is the HC's son, had a somewhat marginal game (similar to Scott's through the air) which the team lost, and has a multiple game history of being fairly average.

Not a good situation.

Course they do have Toledo next week ...

Itamicbomb
09-11-2009, 11:03 PM
Should he even bother to get on the plane back to Boulder?

SCCat
09-11-2009, 11:07 PM

I'd have to know if he likes the smell of tar in the morning or not.

PerpEph
09-11-2009, 11:48 PM

His team doesn't appear to be very well coached, does it?

Olson Court
09-12-2009, 12:08 AM
They look awful, its embarrasing. Toledo is running all over them, intercepting every pass they throw LOL.

hoops7243
09-12-2009, 12:12 AM
Colorado will be lucky if they win 1 game in the Big 12 this year. They are awful.

PerpEph
09-12-2009, 12:13 AM
Great tackling on that Toledo TD run. Yeesh.

Olson Court
09-12-2009, 12:17 AM
Is this ANOTHER interception LOL.

JMarkJohns
09-12-2009, 12:38 AM
Cody is as detrimental as Dan...

Olson Court
09-12-2009, 01:06 AM
Cody is as detrimental as Dan...

He is clearly not a division one QB and his father needs to come to his senses and do something about that ugly situation because its making him look worse and worse everyday.

Reydituto
09-12-2009, 01:09 AM
They could go 0-12, and in today's economy, I could see Dan Hawkins coming back with 3 more years on his contract.

The people who should be fired though are their DC and their recruiting coordinator. Their defense looks really slow, and untalented. 54 points to Toledo?!? Those two should be left behind with Klinger and the Mud Hens.

azatm
09-12-2009, 04:34 PM
There will be a lot of sad faces at work Monday morning. It's shocking to see how non-competitive the Buffs are. Hawkins seems like a nice person, but his lame excuses are getting old.

Looks like a Mackovic situation where he'll be leaving the cupboard bare for his hapless replacement.

MrBug708
11-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Darrell Scott to UCLA?

Jason Scheer
11-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Now he can get three yard screen passes

bruinfanatic432
11-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Now he can get three yard screen passes

What a silly thing to say, Scheer. If you've been paying attention at all you would know that we only throw screens to our tight ends and slowest receivers!

Honestly, who knows if we even have a spot for Scott. He hasnt done jack in two years and we do have a decent stable to backs already in or coming to the program. We'll see.

Zona_Soccer10
11-03-2009, 09:56 PM
This would be an UGLY job to take. The only positive thing for recruiting is your Big12 nothing else.

iiyani
11-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Listened to Al Wilson's radio show this evening on 104.4 the Fan, here in Denver and he was going off on Dan Hawkins. He had to calm down, but doesn't look good for Hawkins.

iiyani
11-03-2009, 10:35 PM
I get the feeling there is going to be a mutiny in the coming days.

DeezleWildcats
11-03-2009, 10:41 PM
I get the feeling there is going to be a mutiny in the coming days.

Dan Hawkovic?

Adam Hawes
11-03-2009, 11:03 PM
This would be an UGLY job to take. The only positive thing for recruiting is your Big12 nothing else.

There are a lot worse places to go than Boulder, beautiful town. They've been a power before, they can be a power again.

Zona_Soccer10
11-03-2009, 11:32 PM
There are a lot worse places to go than Boulder, beautiful town. They've been a power before, they can be a power again.

They've definitely had some bad luck coaching. Maybe you're right though.

haji81872
11-03-2009, 11:51 PM
They need to get the word out to players that he is gone, before even more bail. This could get very, very ugly before it is all over. Or perhaps it is already to late.

catgrad97
11-04-2009, 12:31 AM
Chances that CU reaches out to Mike Leach???

The available coaching pool is pretty shallow right now otherwise.

DeezleWildcats
11-04-2009, 12:34 AM
I was hoping CU would turn things around so Sonny Dykes would not continue to be mentioned as a replacement.

Zona_Soccer10
11-04-2009, 12:53 AM
I was hoping CU would turn things around so Sonny Dykes would not continue to be mentioned as a replacement.

Just thinking about losing Dykes after we're finally getting off the ground as a program sickens me.

MrBug708
11-04-2009, 01:11 AM
Mike Price?

Reydituto
11-04-2009, 02:33 AM
Mike Price?

Denver has some decent strip clubs, although I don't know if they are better than Juarez ...

Wyo-Cat
11-04-2009, 03:11 AM
I don't think Hawk is going to get fired this year, unless some boosters come up big to buy him out. The Athletic Department doesn't have the money to buy him out and sign a big name. The state also has some ridiculous contract law for state employees which prohibits signing big name and big dollar coaches. Look for the bloodletting to continue!!

DeezleWildcats
11-26-2009, 04:22 PM
I don't think Hawk is going to get fired this year, unless some boosters come up big to buy him out. The Athletic Department doesn't have the money to buy him out and sign a big name. The state also has some ridiculous contract law for state employees which prohibits signing big name and big dollar coaches. Look for the bloodletting to continue!!

Bump.

Good call.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FBC_COLORADO_HAWKINS_FUTURE?SITE=AZTUS&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Giving thanks that if Dykes leaves after this season, it won't be for the HC position at Colorado:)