PDA

View Full Version : Which school has the best football/hoops combo?

NYCats
09-07-2009, 10:22 PM
September 7, 2009

Rivals.com
Rivals.com College Basketball Staff

College football kicked off this past weekend, and with the season now under way, we wondered which school would have the best football-basketball combination this academic year.

We asked writers Jason King and Mike Huguenin to give us their thoughts.

JASON KING SAYS TEXAS

With Damion James back and surrounded by talent, Texas has a lot to look forward to.

A few years ago, Florida won the national championship in football and basketball. I'm not willing to say Texas will accomplish the feat in 2009-10 - but it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

The Longhorns' football squad will be as motivated as any team in America after getting screwed out of a national title game appearance a year ago. It also doesn't hurt that Mack Brown's squad features a legitimate Heisman candidate in quarterback Colt McCoy.

As for basketball, Rick Barnes hasn't had a team this talented since he arrived from Clemson. Damion James, Dexter Pittman and Gary Johnson form a frontcourt that rivals the ones at Kansas, North Carolina and Kentucky. Guards Avery Bradley and Jai Lucas and swingman Jordan Hamilton are short on experience, but they are high on talent.

If Barnes and the Longhorns can put it all together, it could be a special season in Austin - both on the gridiron and the hardwood.

MIKE HUGUENIN SAYS CALIFORNIA

Oklahoma and Texas are definite national title contenders in football and should be excellent in basketball. But neither the Sooners nor Longhorns will be the best basketball team in the Big 12. That designation belongs to Kansas.

Jermone Randle and California could be around long into March.
North Carolina will be in the national title hunt in basketball but likely is a year away from serious ACC football title contention. Florida should win the SEC in football, but the Gators will be lucky to finish third in the SEC East in basketball. The Big East football race should be an exciting affair, but the only potential football titlist that also has a chance at a basketball title is West Virginia - and the WVU basketball team doesn't look as strong as Villanova, among others. Ohio State is a Big Ten title contender in football and has a legit shot at the basketball title, too.

But I think the team with the best chance to win conference titles in basketball and football is California.

Cal will head into the season as the favorite to win the basketball title in the Pac-10. The backcourt of Jerome Randle and Patrick Christopher is one of the best in the nation, the Golden Bears have ample perimeter talent and coach Mike Montgomery is one of the best in the nation. Cal has some issues in the frontcourt, but all that backcourt talent should overshadow the problems up front.

In football, Cal will be the biggest challenger to perennial champ USC - and the Golden Bears play host to the Trojans this season. Jahvid Best is the best running back in the nation, the offensive line is big and experienced, the defensive line returns all three starters and the secondary is one of the best in the nation. If quarterback Kevin Riley plays competent football, Cal could end the season in the Rose Bowl for the first time since the 1958 season.

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=984479

azcat49
09-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Too bad this isn't the 90's, we would win hands down.

AZ Golfer
09-07-2009, 10:59 PM

Florida and Michigan both made the Final Four twice. They would give us a run for our money in that crown. A lot more success on the football field.

smashmode
09-08-2009, 01:30 PM
North Carolina.

the real dill
09-08-2009, 01:37 PM
North Carolina.

sig bet if you want it.

Cats101
09-08-2009, 03:13 PM
North Carolina.

I actually agree with this, atleast for this year.

Last year was probably Oklahoma.

Machina
09-08-2009, 03:27 PM
I think it will be real close this year with North Carolina and Cal. I think Cal can make a BCS game and will probably win the PAC-10 in basketball this year. North Carolina will make a BCS Bowl since the ACC is so terrible this year, except Miami looked pretty good last night, and might make another final four in basketball.

Embrodak
09-08-2009, 05:15 PM

no.

Zona_Soccer10
09-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Well at least it isn't Dook. :lol2:
I think they need to be demoted to DII or DIII.

the real dill
09-08-2009, 05:24 PM
no.

with the North Carolina votes, I think everyone glossed over the "football" part of the equation. Butch Davis is doing a heck of job. They have a chance to only lose 3 this year and make a really nice bowl.

catgrad97
09-08-2009, 07:46 PM
no.

1994, 1997 and 1998 disagree.

hoops7243
09-10-2009, 02:31 AM
This year, I would say Cal.

They return everyone in hoops, good coaching and in football they will do well. top 3.

AZ Golfer
09-10-2009, 02:42 PM
1994, 1997 and 1998 disagree.

97 We went 6-5 in football that season. Winning record, but hardly success.

Itamicbomb
09-10-2009, 02:46 PM
This year, I would say Cal.

They return everyone in hoops, good coaching and in football they will do well. top 3.

Cal will finish behind Texas in football and basketball, and they won't do well in conference largely on the strength of everyone else going to the NBA.

scumdevils86
09-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Well between the fall of '93 and the winter of '98 we went to what...4 bowls, including two 10+ win seasons in football. And for bball we had 2 final fours and a national championship. I wonder how many teams have had 2 10+ win football seasons and 2 final fours within 5 years of each other?

the real dill
09-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Cal will finish behind Texas in football and basketball, and they won't do well in conference largely on the strength of everyone else going to the NBA.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Kansas win 10 or 11 in football and take home a national title in basketball.

barringer97
09-10-2009, 04:44 PM
http://lostangelesblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/picture-2.png?w=500&h=467

JMarkJohns
09-10-2009, 05:33 PM
If it's for the decade, then it has to be Florida. What other institution has two Titles in both Basketball and football? Peaks and valleys, I know, but I value Titles over sustained success, in which case, it would be Texas with Ohio State making a late-in-the-decade charge.