PDA

View Full Version : Tempe Fickle Fans or Realistic Expectations?

1139Fremont
09-08-2009, 12:27 PM
With only 42,000 fans in attendance in Tempe Stadium, Lisa Lovelace must be looking for a window to jump out.

The Cats out drew Tempe by almost 10,000 people. I guess they have little faith in Erickson.

Also, their marketing department (the same one that earned them the Lawn Mower U moniker) raised ticket prices in these great economic times.

Lisa Lovelace is losing money, losing reputation, and just botching things up. When Erickson has another bad/mediocre season it's going to get humorous.

Maybe their fan base realizes another bad season is upon them?

T-Bone
09-08-2009, 01:51 PM
I heard the valley received a huge coke shipment Saturday night. What ASCC student can bother with football in the face of hard drugs?

PerpEph
09-08-2009, 02:01 PM
With only 42,000 fans in attendance in Tempe Stadium, Lisa Lovelace must be looking for a window to jump out.

The Cats out drew Tempe by almost 10,000 people. I guess they have little faith in Erickson.

Also, their marketing department (the same one that earned them the Lawn Mower U moniker) raised ticket prices in these great economic times.

Lisa Lovelace is losing money, losing reputation, and just botching things up. When Erickson has another bad/mediocre season it's going to get humorous.

Maybe their fan base realizes another bad season is upon them?

The fans on their message boards and on azcentral.com think that their performance against Idaho State means they will likely go into Athens and beat Georgia.

Some of those folks are still drinking the kool-aid.

azlax04
09-08-2009, 02:02 PM
I heard the valley received a huge coke shipment Saturday night. What ASCC student can bother with football in the face of hard drugs?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/442bwrs46Nc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/442bwrs46Nc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ASUHATER!
09-08-2009, 03:25 PM
on the asu scout board they completely excuse the small crowd by saying "it was a holiday weekend, people in phoenix were out of town and had things to do"

there's just as much out of town outdoors stuff to do in tucson, and we only have 30% the population base asu has and we have about 15,000 less students. yet we had 10,000 more people at our game.

hmm.

smashmode
09-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Many fan groups are fickle. When USC started to lose big, the stadium started to get really empty

ASUHATER!
09-08-2009, 03:31 PM
i remember reading somewhere that at usc's first game under petey in 2001 (against san jose state also) there were less than 50,000 fans there.

smashmode
09-08-2009, 03:39 PM
i remember reading somewhere that at usc's first game under petey in 2001 (against san jose state also) there were less than 50,000 fans there.

yup. And its not like they had years and years of losing seasons..they had 1-2 losing seasons in there and it got that bad. LA is definitely a bandwagon town, at least for football.

Zona_Soccer10
09-08-2009, 06:11 PM
So I guess some could say SoCal fans are the college version of some Cardinal fans. I've always been one.. but yet I see all these new people I've seen laughing at us before. It's quite funny.
But as for ASU.. who cares? If they go belly-up who are we to judge? Lets just stand there and laugh heavily.
I'm pretty sure though there are some ASU fans who think the peeling of Potato State was badass and they will be champs.
Granted.. those same fans were under the influence. ;)

Cats101
09-08-2009, 06:28 PM
I hate ASU but that just them being fickle as usual.

They can make their excuse but they sold more than 50000 season tickets for the 2008 season EASILY. Not sure how you go from that to having trouble just selling 42000 tickets for the first game. I wonder what the season ticket sales were.

I don't expect anyone to support constantly losing programs, but they only had one losing season, thats fickle to the 10th power. People complain about people leaving our game early, just imagine what their game looked like on TV.

OR is could just be the fans knowing they won't be very good. But OSU, CAL, USC and UofA coming to town should be enough for them to sell a descent number of tickets.

ASUHATER!
09-08-2009, 06:44 PM
yeah true. i bet by the start of the 4th quarter though there was probably only like 15k people there

Zona_Soccer10
09-08-2009, 09:13 PM
yeah true. i bet by the start of the 4th quarter though there was probably only like 15k people there

If that. And they were all either sleeping or too far gone at that point.
Oh.. and those few Potato State followers left at the end of the first quarter.

CatsbyAZ
09-09-2009, 04:43 PM
It's called football on the West Coast. Had Idaho State played at Auburn, Georgia, Tennessee the stadium would be packed. The stands are packed for scrimmages at Alabama for goodness sake. West Coast fans are in general fickle when it comes to football.

TheCat
09-09-2009, 05:08 PM
It's called football on the West Coast. Had Idaho State played at Auburn, Georgia, Tennessee the stadium would be packed. The stands are packed for scrimmages at Alabama for goodness sake. West Coast fans are in general fickle when it comes to football.

Alabama had 90+ thousand for the inter-squad game. SEC is a different animal all together.

GlobalCat
09-09-2009, 10:05 PM
There isn't much to do (legally) in the South except for football.

Taylor
09-09-2009, 10:23 PM
Alabama had 90+ thousand for the inter-squad game. SEC is a different animal all together.

90+ thousand, all from six or seven inter-married clans. Wow.

Taylor
09-09-2009, 10:23 PM
There isn't much to do (legally) in the South except for football.

Thanksgiving's coming. Time to pump kin.