PDA

View Full Version : Who gets canned first?

azlax04
09-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Charlie Weis at Notre Dame?
Or Dan Hawkins at Colorado?

catgrad
09-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Hawkins might not make to October.

hoops7243
09-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Hawkins.

MrBug708
09-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Hawkins

WayneNewton
09-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Lane Kiffen

xethw
09-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Hawkins.

He's a dead man walking.

Itamicbomb
09-12-2009, 08:14 PM
I'm surprised Hawkins isn't already fired. ND should still go no worse than 9-3 this year.

Adam Hawes
09-12-2009, 09:30 PM
CO State barely beat 1AA (or whatever it is they're calling it now) Weber State by one point today. Makes that loss look that much worse. Hawkins will be lucky to survive the season, especially considering he gets a bonus (I've heard) if he completes the season as the coach.

UofAlum05
09-12-2009, 09:32 PM
What is tougher to pay-out? This bonus or his four year contract?

Adam Hawes
09-12-2009, 09:34 PM
Not sure, I don't know what his terms are. I'd say it's safe to say that that's the question that would find you your answer as to whether he finishes the season in CO or not though.

84Cat
09-14-2009, 03:51 PM
What is tougher to pay-out? This bonus or his four year contract?

Buyout of Hawkins could approach $3 million

Dan Hawkins might keep his job as head football coach at Colorado regardless of how bad things get this season because the athletic department cannot afford the buyout if it fired him, let alone any additional expenses in hiring a replacement.

Hawkins' contract contains a clause limiting the school's liability to $850,000 per contract year if it should terminate him without cause. Hawkins would have more than three years remaining if he was fired at any point this season. His contract runs through Jan. 31, 2013.

The school's total liability could approach $3 million under the terms of the deal if any partial year was prorated in a buyout. If the buyout was limited to three years, it would cost CU no more than $2,550,000.

http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_13329737?source%253Dmost_viewed.20F88DA3D7D369F 5BB70F372987EAE1F.html

T-Bone
09-14-2009, 04:10 PM
Buyout of Hawkins could approach $3 million

http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_13329737?source%253Dmost_viewed.20F88DA3D7D369F 5BB70F372987EAE1F.html

This is what the ESPN guys were saying when they played Toledo. Sounds like Colorado is stuck for awhile.

smashmode
09-14-2009, 04:35 PM
Hawkins...but if Charlie loses to Washington at home...

scumdevils86
09-14-2009, 04:44 PM
I didn't realize all that about Hawk's buyout...otherwise I would've expected them not to even let him on the plane back home!

bruins01
09-14-2009, 06:36 PM
It's a pointless argument. The person who is going to get fired first is Al Groh.

gumby
09-14-2009, 06:57 PM
Charlie Weis at Notre Dame?
Or Dan Hawkins at Colorado?
Need more details about their respective ADs.

Itamicbomb
09-14-2009, 07:01 PM
It's a pointless argument. The person who is going to get fired first is Al Groh.

Groh has been getting fired for at least four years now. He must have dirt on the AD.

scumdevils86
09-14-2009, 07:28 PM
jesus i forgot about groh. that is a mystery.

bruins01
09-14-2009, 07:35 PM
If getting blown out at home by William and Mary doesn't get you fired, then I guess nothing will.

azlax04
09-16-2009, 12:39 AM
FoxSports isn't the best news source, but they've got a top 10 list of coaches on the hot seat, and it's fuel for the discussion in this thread:
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/pgStory?contentId=10071820#sport=COLLEGE%20FOOTBAL L&photo=10071748

1. Al Groh, Virginia (Points to Bruins01)
2. Dan Hawkins, Colorado (consensus favorite in this thread)
3. Ralph Friedgen, Maryland
4. Charlie Weis, Notre Dame (so little with so much...)
5. Paul Wulff, Washington State
6. Mike Sherman, Texas A&M
7. George O'Leary, Central Florida
8. Bret Bielema, Wisconsin
9. Steve Kragthorpe, Louisville
10. Mark Snyder, Marshall

About Hawkins:
Hopes were high in 2006, but after four years, Rocky Mountain high is at a low. Rival Colorado State opened a big can of whoop on the Buffaloes in week one, and Toledo, 3-9 last year and a new head coach this year, continued that trend with a 54-38 humiliation. Quarterback Cody Hawkins was abused by the Rockets due to his O-line engaging in a matador pass protection plan while Rockets quarterback Aaron Opelt had a different experience -- he ran through the middle of Colorado's D for a 61-yard touchdown without one Buff touching him.

About Weis:
When you have the lead, on the road with 3:07 left in the game and you're playing against a freshman quarterback, run the ball, take some time off the clock and force Michigan to burn its timeouts. The Irish got a first down on a huge running play, then called one running and two long passing plays. Both passes fell incomplete and stopped the clock. Michigan quarterback Tate Forcier appreciated that blunder, saying, "I think it was a mistake that they were throwing the ball because they let us save our timeouts. Those timeouts definitely came in handy." Time to re-evaluate when a freshman calls out a fifth-year coach who lost to a second-year coach in a rebuilding year.

84Cat
09-16-2009, 04:32 PM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3ynLOfaELl8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3ynLOfaELl8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ynLOfaELl8&feature=PlayList&p=9A4742934C33AA74&index=2

Adam Hawes
09-16-2009, 06:00 PM
Gotta be frustrating for him to go from being an all-the-time winner to a loser for sure but I don't see him putting things together in CO.

Reydituto
09-16-2009, 06:06 PM
1. Al Groh, Virginia (Points to Bruins01)
2. Dan Hawkins, Colorado (consensus favorite in this thread)
3. Ralph Friedgen, Maryland
4. Charlie Weis, Notre Dame (so little with so much...)
5. Paul Wulff, Washington State
6. Mike Sherman, Texas A&M
7. George O'Leary, Central Florida
8. Bret Bielema, Wisconsin
9. Steve Kragthorpe, Louisville
10. Mark Snyder, Marshall

After Groh, and Friedgen (who should be ahead of Hawkins given Hawkins contractual obligations), Mike Sherman is getting short shrift at aTm. What has he done there to stay employed? I think he got a raw deal at Green Bay, but he's really best suited to be an NFL OC. If he doesn't produce a winning record, compete against Texas and show real improvement & direction, I can see that seat getting really hot.

About Hawkins:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9S3RbRifTSk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9S3RbRifTSk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Maybe his problem is they've recruited too soft.

For some reason, this is still my favorite (losing to Houston might have at least made people look at the stove, if not turn up the heat ...)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aoMmbUmKN0E&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aoMmbUmKN0E&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

... or says he's FAT! ... :lol2:

the real dill
09-16-2009, 06:18 PM
Gotta be frustrating for him to go from being an all-the-time winner to a loser for sure but I don't see him putting things together in CO.

I wonder if Hawkins falling flat on his face is going to give some large programs pause before offering Chris Peterson.

bruins01
09-16-2009, 06:24 PM
I wonder if Hawkins falling flat on his face is going to give some large programs pause before offering Chris Peterson.

This is pretty similar to Dan Monson, although even Monson had a better tenure at Minnesota than Hawkins has had at Colorado.

barringer97
09-16-2009, 06:43 PM

and Dirk Koetter.

azlax04
11-22-2009, 02:41 PM
Add Les Miles to this list?

Winger
11-22-2009, 02:53 PM

My impression is that the rep in coaching circles is that Peterson was responsible for the success of both K and H.

The word up here is that there is 0 chance Hawk gets fired before next season.

Any reason to add Erickson?

I have also heard ND admin has been making phone calls trying to round up Weis' buyout, obviously I have no clue how reliable that is.

catgrad97
11-22-2009, 03:06 PM
Add Les Miles to this list?

If so, good riddance.

How a coach thinks his team should still have time to kick a FG when the ball is literally being set at the line of scrimmage with :01 left is the stuff of coach fantasyland.

As for Notre Dame, the AD better go all-out for Brian Kelly, or it's conference affiliation time.

MTFC
11-22-2009, 03:21 PM
Erickson's probably not going to to happen for money reasons, but they're going to ask him to overhaul his staff and he's not going to like firing a bunch of his friends.

Zona_Soccer10
11-22-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Weis. So much more has been expected of him and Notre Dame talent wise wasn't in bad shape when he arrived.
Hawkins is dangerously close though. If he's not gone after this year.. it will take a miracle to keep him after next.

catgrad97
11-22-2009, 04:01 PM
It's a very bizarre year in the Big 12. A couple weeks ago, it looked like no team in America had given up on its coach more than the Colorado Buffaloes had with Hawkins.

Then Mangino and KU came into Boulder, and before you know it, now Hawkins may not even be the next coach to be fired in his own conference.

Merkin
11-22-2009, 05:57 PM
Notre Dame is financially better off than any of those schools, so Fat Charlie is next. Bob Stoops to ND, and Mike Stoops to OU, Sonny Dykes takes over at Arizona.

Zona_Soccer10
11-22-2009, 07:42 PM
You're being funny right Merk?

coeagle
11-22-2009, 07:54 PM
Notre Dame is financially better off than any of those schools, so Fat Charlie is next. Bob Stoops to ND, and Mike Stoops to OU, Sonny Dykes takes over at Arizona.

I don't see why Bob Stoops would go to ND. Can they offer that much more money that OU?

BeachCat97
11-22-2009, 08:27 PM

Is Bob Stoops really regarded as that hot of a property? He's fallen short of expectations several times recently and doesn't have the same glitz that he had in the years immediately following OU's NC, which was 10 years ago.

On the other hand, if Bob going to ND means Mike is leaving UofA, I'm all for it. I haven't liked Mike Stoops from the get go, and while I'm happy to acknolwledge how much better of shape our program is in now as compared to when he first got here, I think what we've learned is that he's a great recruiter and a pretty average coach.

Mike Stoops is not the guy to take us to the school's first Rose Bowl, so the sooner he's replaced, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

Merkin
11-22-2009, 09:02 PM
You're being funny right Merk?

Not about Bob.

From the Chicago Sun Times: “As much as Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis wanted to make this game about his team, the 27-22 loss to No. 8 Pittsburgh will serve as more evidence for those who want Weis’ tenure as Irish coach to end.

“If athletic director Jack Swarbrick decides Weis’ Notre Dame career is over after his fifth season, a source said Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops and Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz will be in the mix to replace him. The source said Stoops has told confidants he would be interested in talking to the Irish.

gumby
11-22-2009, 09:41 PM
So the surprising part is Bob Stoops to ND, not Mike Stoops to OU?

EndOfAnEra
11-23-2009, 01:33 AM
Sadly, Dennis Erickson. Who would have thought that dirty coach would be even worse than Koetter...:lol2:

Cats101
11-23-2009, 03:35 AM
Sadly, Dennis Erickson. Who would have thought that dirty coach would be even worse than Koetter...:lol2:

From what I hear DE will be around for atleast two years.

Anyway, Weiss should be fired and the only way he's not is because iits money related. I'm shocked he even still has a job.

Winger
11-23-2009, 11:08 AM
Interesting to hear about Erickson, thanks for the info.

I would be amazed if OU replaced Bob with Mike. I could see the Sooners "keeping it in the family", but even in that regard I have a hard time understanding the set of circumstances that would result in Mike's hire. A courtesy interview maybe, but he'd have to be several spots down their list at this point. Plus, I do not think the OU job is #1 on his "if I ever leave Arizona" list, particularly right now.

I keep hearing ruminations of Weis out Meyer in, course that is coming from the same place that told me (and I posted here) Miles to UM, which of course didn't happen (tho I still think had some legs).

MTFC
11-23-2009, 11:23 AM
ASU has no money right now, Erickson ain't going anywhere unless he voluntarily steps down.

Merkin
11-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Dennis DeConicini has been crying even leader about UA/ASU coaches salaries, so even though he is in the minority he has been very vocal and the press has listened. So I can't imagine ASU cutting DE lose.

Weis says he isn't resigning either. But would take the $15M buyout if ND fires him.

the real dill
11-23-2009, 12:26 PM
The rumor I've been reading is that if Bob Stoops bolts, OU's top two choices would be Brian Kelly and Kevin Sumlin.

LikesMikey
11-23-2009, 12:44 PM
You can count Weiss gone, Irish pockets run deep when it comes to their football program.

ASUHATER!
11-23-2009, 12:54 PM
its crazy that in the next 2 months or so nd is going to shell out like 30-50 million on football coaches.

Zona_Soccer10
11-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Belichick might be a great mind in his own right but boy his coaching tree has been rolling around in mud. Ouch.

Winger
11-23-2009, 06:45 PM
The rumor I've been reading is that if Bob Stoops bolts, OU's top two choices would be Brian Kelly and Kevin Sumlin.

How is it not Venables?

the real dill
11-23-2009, 07:27 PM
How is it not Venables?

zero head coaching experience.....not that OU is above that. Stoops had never been a coach before taking the OU job. Venables would absolutely get an interview.

I don't see Stoops leaving OU, but their fans are talking like its a possibility.

Itamicbomb
11-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Colorado has apparently cancelled OVs for next weekend - solid indication for those who took Hawkins over Cholly.

smashmode
11-23-2009, 08:13 PM
How is it not Venables?

OU can get any coach it wants, You would think Venables would have coach up a lower division school before getting a shot at OU, who knows though.

EndOfAnEra
11-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Oops. Didn't realize my post would be taken seriously. DE is there at least for another year, probably two. It's not just about buying out DE, but what decent coach would they be able to get for a low price. You can bet that many fans will be calling for his head after the thrashing this upcoming weekend though.:erickbud:

Cats101
11-23-2009, 09:45 PM
Oops. Didn't realize my post would be taken seriously. DE is there at least for another year, probably two. It's not just about buying out DE, but what decent coach would they be able to get for a low price. You can bet that many fans will be calling for his head after the thrashing this upcoming weekend though.:erickbud:

Yeah, It's not about money at this moment atleast. The boosters (who would be be buying his contract out anyway) are willing to be patient and give him another recruiting class. If he somehow misses a third bowl game or doesn't satisfy the boosters/Lisa Love then in 2012 he is going to be on a MAJOR hot seat.

Personally, I think he brings in great talent but he recruits the wrong type of guys. With his latest comments "thank goodness this is the last game ect..." there are some rumors going around that he may just step down at seasons end. I HIGHLY doubt that but you never know.

Coop Cat
11-23-2009, 09:51 PM
How is it not Venables?

That is what I was thinking. Good points by other posters about being able to "pick" their coach with that job though.

ZonaCats8
11-23-2009, 10:15 PM
Belichick might be a great mind in his own right but boy his coaching tree has been rolling around in mud. Ouch.

Saw a story recently on that, basically said that all these guys who get jobs after working for him try to do things the way he does and act like he does, except its almost impossible for them to duplicate the way he does things. So it's like these guys aren't giving themselves a chance to be successful.

WaysouthCat
11-23-2009, 11:23 PM
Saw a story recently on that, basically said that all these guys who get jobs after working for him try to do things the way he does and act like he does, except its almost impossible for them to duplicate the way he does things. So it's like these guys aren't giving themselves a chance to be successful.

Honestly, how much success has Belichik or any of his assistants had after they were caught taping opponents? The Pats have not been in or won a Superbowl since, and Romeo Crennel and Weis have crashed and burned as head coaches.

Sidewinder
11-24-2009, 12:14 AM
Jimmy Clausen in a bar fight. Just what Charlie needed.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2009/11/david-kaplan-report-clausen-in-fight-outside-south-bend-bar.html

http://forum.sbrforum.com/college-football-handicapping/277251-jimmy-clausen-may-not-play-saturday.html

ZonaCats8
11-24-2009, 12:19 AM
Honestly, how much success has Belichik or any of his assistants had after they were caught taping opponents? The Pats have not been in or won a Superbowl since, and Romeo Crennel and Weis have crashed and burned as head coaches.

You do realize that they were busted about the video tape thing just before the season they went undefeated and lost in the last minute of the Super Bowl right? They also went 11-5 last year with a QB who hadn't started or even played significant snaps in a game since high school.

azlax04
11-29-2009, 11:47 PM

Bruins wins this thread.

Virginia fires Groh after 9 seasons

RICHMOND, Va. -- Virginia fired Al Groh after nine seasons as football coach at his alma mater Sunday, ending a tenure marked by his inability to beat rival Virginia Tech.

Groh's dismissal came less than 24 hours after the Cavaliers (3-9, 2-6 Atlantic Coast Conference) lost 42-13 at home to the No. 11 Hokies, finishing their worst season since they were 2-9 in 1982. It also was their eighth loss to the Hokies in Groh's nine tries.

"There is not a coach in the college game who has worked harder than Al Groh in trying to build a football program," athletic director Craig Littlepage said in a statement. "Football is his life and he dedicated himself to the university and to our football team. We are grateful for his service and for his commitment to his players and his coaching staff."

Groh, 65, issued a statement through the school Sunday night in which he said he felt "very fortunate" to have been given the opportunity to coach at Virginia.

"I am an ordinary guy who has been lucky to have been around some extraordinary players and coaches who put me in a position to enjoy many fulfilling games and seasons," he said.

"I have coached Hall of Fame players, worked alongside Hall of Fame coaches, and coached in two Super Bowls, but my time as the Head Coach of the Virginia Cavaliers has been my most memorable coaching experience," he said.

Groh had two years remaining on his contract and will receive a buyout of approximately $4.33 million, Littlepage said. The search for a replacement will begin immediately.

Groh was hired on Dec. 30, 2000, when he resigned after one season as the head coach of the New York Jets to take over at the school where he lettered in football and lacrosse, graduating in 1967. He replaced George Welsh, who had retired after 19 seasons.

Welsh, then the ACC career leader in victories, had just two losing seasons in his 19 years, but the Cavaliers finished 6-6 in his final season, prompting the change.

Groh went 59-53 with the Cavaliers and guided them to five bowl games, including four straight beginning with his second season. The team averaged eight wins over those four years, but managed just one more winning season in his last four, going 9-4 in 2007.

Groh, the ACC coach of the year in 2002 and '07, was 36-36 in conference games.

Virginia lost its final six games this year and its last six against the Hokies, who joined the conference in 2004 and have been the league's dominant team ever since.

Virginia's decline was especially felt at home games, where the average attendance for 61,500-seat Scott Stadium had dropped by 13,600 in two seasons heading into Saturday afternoon's game. That drew a season-high 58,555 fans, but nearly half of them were Hokies supporters and many chanted "Keep Al Groh!" as the final minutes ticked off the clock.

In his postgame news conference, Groh did not directly answer a question about his future, but instead read a poem, "The Guy in the Glass," about how the most important person an individual has to please is himself. He closed with a testimonial about himself.

"When I visited the guy in the glass, I saw that he's a guy of commitment, of integrity, of dependability and accountability," Groh said. "He's loyal, his spirit is indomitable and he's caring and loving. I'm sure I will always call the guy in the glass a friend."

Groh also read the poem to his team before meeting with the media, and besides their disappointing finish, the players were emotional about falling short in Groh's final game.

"It's sad to see him go like this," defensive end Nate Collins, one of six captains on this year's team, said afterward. "I know me and the seniors talked this week, and we were just doing everything we could to get this win for him and for the coaches, because none of the coaches know what their futures are going to be like after this game. It's just tough.

"I hope the best for Coach Groh. I love Coach Groh like he's a father, and he's been a father figure to everyone here, and I don't think anyone can really say otherwise."

Groh began his postgame press conference with these words: "We made a pretty good go of it for a little while."

He was talking about the game, but he might as well have been talking about his time at Virginia.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4698169

azlax04
11-29-2009, 11:49 PM
As for the original question posed by the thread, I was surprised to see nobody had mentioned this:

Hawkins to return for fifth season

Colorado has announced that Dan Hawkins will continue to coach the Buffaloes and return for his fifth season next year.

Hawkins and his team met with Colorado athletic director Mike Bohn and Colorado chancellor Philip DiStefano Thursday morning, where they were informed of the decision. The team was completing its walkthrough practice before its game Friday against Nebraska.

"It was really important for me to look these kids in the eye and Dan in the eye rather than being out in Maui" and doing it by phone," Bohn said.

DiStefano said he supports Bohn's decision to honor Hawkins' contract, which runs through 2012.

"Dan represents the university's values on and off the field, and his team has been competitive this year," DiStefano said. "He has done all that we have asked him to do, and although we all desire more victories, we also recognize starting over with a new coach right now takes us away from, not closer to, our goals for CU football."

Hawkins' job status had come under heavy scrutiny as the Buffaloes posted a 3-8 season, although three of their losses have come by seven points or less. They will miss a bowl trip for the third time in Hawkins' four-season tenure and were the first Big 12 team eliminated from bowl consideration.

Despite those struggles, Bohn said that Hawkins will remain Colorado's coach.

"Dan is our coach," said Bohn. "We continue to have candid, constructive discussions with each other, with campus leadership and with related constituents to review all aspects of the football program. We recognize the importance of continuity to reach our desired competitive results. We have made progress on many fronts, but fully realize the importance of improvement and growth of the program in all areas."

Several published reports indicate it would cost Colorado more than $3 million to fire Hawkins.

So, what did Bohn have to say to those critics who will insist that money and not merit guided his decision to keep a coach who is 16-32 with a 2-20 road record and a 10-21 mark in the Big 12?

"Well, money is always a consideration in big-time college football," Bohn said. "It wasn't THE determining factor. The bottom line was Dan Hawkins is the right coach for CU at this time."

Hawkins' contract with CU runs through the 2012 season; he originally signed a five-year agreement when hired prior to the 2006 season, and received an extension in October 2008.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4691895

GlobalCat
11-29-2009, 11:58 PM
Wow. I guess not hiring hookers for HS kids on recruiting trips is good enough to keep your job in Boulder.

TheCat
11-30-2009, 01:44 AM
This is pretty similar to Dan Monson, although even Monson had a better tenure at Minnesota than Hawkins has had at Colorado.

Monson had a pretty good day today.:lol2:

ASUHATER!
11-30-2009, 01:47 AM
so kragthorpe and groh have been fired already, and weis is all but assured and mangino is probably out.

who else is out soon?

azlax04
11-30-2009, 06:05 PM
Down goes Charlie Weis...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4700891

Winger
11-30-2009, 09:13 PM
My impression is that the rep in coaching circles is that Peterson was responsible for the success of both K and H.

The word up here is that there is 0 chance Hawk gets fired before next season.

Any reason to add Erickson?

I have also heard ND admin has been making phone calls trying to round up Weis' buyout, obviously I have no clue how reliable that is.

Guess that last part was fairly reliable ...