PDA

View Full Version : Pac-10 not as bad as people thought?

Reydituto
09-13-2009, 05:03 AM
Let's review some of this week's results:

USC 18
OSU 15

- Great drive by USC to finish the comeback and silence the 100K+ in the Horseshoe

UCLA 19
Tenn 15

- Chow outfoxes his protogé Kiffin, and UCLA's D is stout when it counts

Oregon 38
Purdue 36

- Oregon rebounds and holds off Purdue in the final minute

OSU 23
UNLV 21

- Last second FG beats UNLV on the road, doing what ASU couldn't last year

Cal 59
EWU 7

- Cal doing what a Top 10 team should do with an over-matched FCS team

UW 42
Idaho 23

-After last week's gritty performance, they get off the 15 game schneid with a W

And of course, UA winning, the week after dominating what looks to be a pretty decent CMU team.

Stanford losing to Wake the way they did was unfortunate, but Wake is a solid team so there's no shame in losing on the road like that, and Wazzu is terrible, but every conference has a slug (I see you Iowa State, Colorado, Virginia, Syracuse, Miss St, Indiana and NW). Last week's results were also respectable across the board, except for the manner in which Oregon lost to Boise St.

I think some of the media, blogs and CFB fans in general are sleeping on the Pac-10. I see at least 7 solid teams, with ASU & UW being competitive as well, leaving only the hapless Cougs.

Discuss.

Cats101
09-13-2009, 05:29 AM
Not to mention the games the PAC-10 is willing to play.

I mean, just for next week...

Arizona @ Iowa
Cincy @ OSU
Utah @ Oregon
And that's just going from off the top of the dome. The PAC-10 is a solid conference, good enough for 3rd just above the ACC, I think.

The PAC-10 had a good week. Althought I think UL-Monroe can pull the upset @ ASU next week. :)

Winger
09-13-2009, 10:00 AM
Depends which "people".

If you mean the sports media, then I don't know. We'll have to see if there are any "Pac 10 Off To A Good Start" type articles.

If you mean SEC/Big XII fan, they barely know that Pac 10 exists, and I am positive they have no clue (nor care) how the Pac 10 has performed so far.

Personally, I think the best way to measure the performance of a conference against conventional wisdom is to look at how it has fared against the spread.

Pac 10 ATS 2009

Arizona
0-1 (no line for NAU game)

ASU
0-0 (no line for ISU)

Cal
1-0 (no line for EWU)

Oregon
0-2

Oregon State
0-1

Southern Cal
1-1

Stanford
1-1

UCLA
2-0

Washington
1-1

Washington State
0-2

OVERALL
6-8

CONCLUSION
Meh.

TucsonDon
09-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Pac 10 ATS 2009

Arizona

ASU
0-0 (no line for ISU)

Cal
1-0 (no line for EWU)

Oregon
0-2

Oregon State
0-1

Southern Cal
1-1

Stanford
1-1

UCLA
2-0

Washington
1-1

Washington State
0-2

OVERALL
6-8

CONCLUSION
Meh.

Arizona was a 30.5 point favorite against NAU and didn't cover. Berkeley was a 33.5 point favorite against Eastern Washington and they covered. Oregon State was a 40.5 point favorite against Portland State and didn't cover....so you can add another one win and two losses to that total.

Pac-10 not as bad as people thought:

UCLA 19
Tenn 15

- Chow outfoxes his protogé Kiffin, and UCLA's D is stout when it counts

I think some of the media, blogs and CFB fans in general are sleeping on the Pac-10. I see at least 7 solid teams, with ASU & UW being competitive as well, leaving only the hapless Cougs.

You're the guy who repeatedly said UCLA was going to be a bad football team on this board.

AZ Golfer
09-13-2009, 12:45 PM
You're the guy who repeatedly said UCLA was going to be a bad football team on this board.

What's wrong with that statement? Beating a Crompton led Vols team proves nothing.

Flipper
09-13-2009, 12:57 PM
What's wrong with that statement? Beating a Crompton led Vols team proves nothing.

On the road, in front of 100k+ fans? Come on.....

TucsonDon
09-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Doesn't mean they'll compete for a Pac-10 title this year but yeah, it actually does prove they're not a bad football team.

CalStateTempe
09-13-2009, 01:07 PM
UCLA is decent but their QB needs some work

AZ Golfer
09-13-2009, 01:12 PM
If NAU had 102k fans and we played them on the road, would you say that was a quality win? Just curious.

We're talking about the same team that lost to WYOMING, AT HOME in WEEK 14 last year.

Get a grip people. Tenn had ZERO quality wins last year. Tenn is not a quality win b/c of the size of their stadium.

September 1 at UCLA L 27-24 0-1 (0-0)
September 13 UAB W 35-3 1-1 (0-0)
September 20 No. 4 Florida L 30-6 1-2 (0-1)
September 27 at No. 15 Auburn L 14-12 1-3 (0-2)
October 4 Northern Illinois W 13-9 2-3 (0-2)
October 11 at No. 10 Georgia L 26-14 2-4 (0-3)
October 18 Mississippi State W 34-3 3-4 (1-3)
October 25 No. 2 Alabama L 29-9 3-5 (1-4)
November 1 at South Carolina L 27-6 3-6 (1-5)
November 8 Wyoming L 13-7 3-7 (1-5)
November 22 at Vanderbilt W 20-10 4-7 (2-5)
November 29 Kentucky W 28-10 5-7 (3-5)

Winger
09-13-2009, 01:16 PM
Arizona was a 30.5 point favorite against NAU and didn't cover. Berkeley was a 33.5 point favorite against Eastern Washington and they covered. Oregon State was a 40.5 point favorite against Portland State and didn't cover....so you can add another one win and two losses to that total.

My understanding is that if vegasinsider.com doesn't have a line for a game, it's unavailable for onshore betting, wrong?

TucsonDon
09-13-2009, 02:05 PM
If NAU had 102k fans and we played them on the road, would you say that was a quality win? Just curious.

We're talking about the same team that lost to WYOMING, AT HOME in WEEK 14 last year.

Get a grip people. They had ZERO quality wins last year. Tenn is not a quality win b/c of the size of their stadium.

Jeez. Stick to the golf analysis.

My understanding is that if vegasinsider.com doesn't have a line for a game, it's unavailable for onshore betting, wrong?
Who bets onshore anymore?

MrBug708
09-13-2009, 02:28 PM

Get a grip people. They had ZERO quality wins last year. Tenn is not a quality win b/c of the size of their stadium.

I would imagine that if NAU had enough of a history to get an 102K fan stadium, then ya it probably would be a quality win

TheCat
09-13-2009, 05:11 PM
UCLA is decent but their QB needs some work

UCLA'sr QB is one tough SOB. I thought in the first quarter he wouldn't last till the 2nd. Kid played a great game (for his second one) and showed me he is tough as nails.

I love players that can't be denied. He kept coming back after getting nailed repeatedly. UCLA needs to work on their OLINE before critizing this kid.

TucsonDon
09-13-2009, 05:15 PM
UCLA'sr QB is one tough SOB. I thought in the first quarter he wouldn't last till the 2nd. Kid played a great game (for his second one) and showed me he is tough as nails.

I love players that can't be denied. He kept coming back after getting nailed repeatedly. UCLA needs to work on their OLINE before critizing this kid.
Broken jaw...out a month.

AZ Golfer
09-13-2009, 05:25 PM
Jeez. Stick to the golf analysis.

Ok. I present facts to back up my opinion and your retort is to stick with golf.

CAN'T ARGUE WITH THAT!!

Tenn is f'in piss poor and will get analy penetrated by Florida next weekend. Any Tenn fan will tell you the same.

I will agree though, the PAC had an excellent weekend.

TucsonDon
09-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Ok. I present facts to back up my opinion and your retort is to stick with golf.

CAN'T ARGUE WITH THAT!!

Tenn is f'in piss poor and will get analy penetrated by Florida next weekend. Any Tenn fan will tell you the same.

I will agree though, the PAC had an excellent weekend.

"Tennessee is not a quality win" is not a fact, buddy.

Of course Florida is gonna beat them up. Vols aren't a contender in the SEC but they've got a ton of young talent, they've got a great home field advantage and a vaunted coaching staff which had plenty of time to prepare for a UCLA team which had six first-year starters on offense going on the road for the very first time.

A 'bad football team' isn't going to be able to do that. Sorry...if I need help with my slice I'll be sure to ask, though.

AZ Golfer
09-13-2009, 06:23 PM
"Tennessee is not a quality win" is not a fact, buddy.

If you took that as my factual statement rather than the results of their entire 2008 season, I can see this will go no where fast. Your quoted statement was MY OPINION. The results of their 2008 season is FACT. I hope we are catching on now.

You obviously do not fully appreciate how bad Tenn's program currently is and how irrelevant a win against their school is. A lot of high school squads could probably give them a run for their money.

UCLA could easily still lose their remaining games. Beating Tenn proves nothing.

If I need help formulating an argument with no merit whatsoever, I know whom to turn to. Thanks chief.

Reydituto
09-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Not to mention the games the PAC-10 is willing to play.

I mean, just for next week...

Arizona @ Iowa
Cincy @ OSU
Utah @ Oregon
And that's just going from off the top of the dome. The PAC-10 is a solid conference, good enough for 3rd just above the ACC, I think.

The PAC-10 had a good week. Althought I think UL-Monroe can pull the upset @ ASU next week. :)

Maybe I spoke too soon ... those three match-ups don't look favorable for the Pac-10, although I think Utah is overrated.

Depends which "people".

If you mean the sports media, then I don't know. We'll have to see if there are any "Pac 10 Off To A Good Start" type articles.

If you mean SEC/Big XII fan, they barely know that Pac 10 exists, and I am positive they have no clue (nor care) how the Pac 10 has performed so far.

Personally, I think the best way to measure the performance of a conference against conventional wisdom is to look at how it has fared against the spread.

Pac 10 ATS 2009

Arizona

ASU
0-0 (no line for ISU)

Cal
1-0 (no line for EWU)

Oregon
0-2

Oregon State
0-1

Southern Cal
1-1

Stanford
1-1

UCLA
2-0

Washington
1-1

Washington State
0-2

OVERALL
6-8

CONCLUSION
Meh.

Love the color coding.

ATS stats provide an interesting analysis, but bottom line, Pac-10 has gotten the better of their non-conference schedule so far.

Good to see you're still paying attention!

Doesn't mean they'll compete for a Pac-10 title this year but yeah, it actually does prove they're not a bad football team.

I don't think beating Tennessee proved they are a good football team either. Good win for UCLA and the Pac-10. They certainly have a really good defense though, one that should keep them competitive in a lot of games, so I'll admit to undervaluing that aspect for sure. Love Verner.

UCLA could easily still lose their remaining games. Beating Tenn proves nothing.

If I need help formulating an argument with no merit whatsoever, I know whom to turn to. Thanks chief.

Uh oh ... :lol: ... take it easy on him TD ...

TucsonDon
09-13-2009, 06:50 PM
I don't think beating Tennessee proved they are a good football team either. Good win for UCLA and the Pac-10. They certainly have a really good defense though, one that should keep them competitive in a lot of games, so I'll admit to undervaluing that aspect for sure. Love Verner.

Yes. You're definitely paying attention; it's too early to tell how good that team is. Certainly the defense should be and appears to be very strong. Truth is (and you know this) this season is a big step in the potential re-emergence of the program. The recruiting has been very good and now the groundwork for these kids learning what they need to on the field has begun. It doesn't necessarily mean they're a good team, but going 2,500 miles into that kind of atmosphere and pulling out a win is a good sign that it isn't a bad group like it was a year ago.

Uh oh ... :lol: ... take it easy on him TD ...
Heh...Not needed. Just the latest in a long line of people who don't know their ass from their elbow. It's not wise to take 'em all on...or so I've been told.

Reydituto
09-13-2009, 07:00 PM
Yes. You're definitely paying attention; it's too early to tell how good that team is. Certainly the defense should be and appears to be very strong. Truth is (and you know this) this season is a big step in the potential re-emergence of the program. The recruiting has been very good and now the groundwork for these kids learning what they need to on the field has begun. It doesn't necessarily mean they're a good team, but going 2,500 miles into that kind of atmosphere and pulling out a win is a good sign that it isn't a bad group like it was a year ago.

Heh...Not needed. Just the latest in a long line of people who don't know their ass from their elbow. It's not wise to take 'em all on...or so I've been told.

Surely a sign of progress. I have no doubt Skippy, Chow et al will get UCLA back to where they need to be as a program. They definitely are recruiting well, have a lot of young talent on campus already, and have a solid coaching staff. QB issues will hold them back this season IMO, Prince breaking his jaw obviously doesn't help, and staying relatively healthy would be a good omen for them as well. I was (and still am) unsure that it would happen this year, but I am on board with the idea they will be better than I thought, and that they have already become a "tough out".

AZ Golfer
09-13-2009, 07:09 PM

Funny comment since Rey agreed with me. Rey, you know your ass from your elbow? But hey, what do we know.

Looks like you won this argument... wait for it....

....wait for it....

...wait for it....

...wait for it...

NOT!

Morgan
09-13-2009, 08:11 PM
Not jokes? Is it 1992?

azlax04
09-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Not jokes? Is it 1992?

Cue Rob Schneider "Makin' Copies" rebuttal in ...3 ..2 .1

11Banners
09-13-2009, 08:48 PM

Get a grip people. Tenn had ZERO quality wins last year. Tenn is not a quality win b/c of the size of their stadium.

You obviously have never been to a game infront of 100k+ people in the stands.

I was at that game and it was incredibly loud. With freshmen all over the field, UCLA proved a lot by winning that game against Tennessee and the SEC refs.

And you are comparing NAU's talent to Tennessee's, or even their coaching staff?

Ask that Cal team a few years ago how it is to play in Neyland. They went into that stadium and pissed their pants infront of that environment.

11Banners
09-13-2009, 08:50 PM
Surely a sign of progress. I have no doubt Skippy, Chow et al will get UCLA back to where they need to be as a program. They definitely are recruiting well, have a lot of young talent on campus already, and have a solid coaching staff. QB issues will hold them back this season IMO, Prince breaking his jaw obviously doesn't help, and staying relatively healthy would be a good omen for them as well. I was (and still am) unsure that it would happen this year, but I am on board with the idea they will be better than I thought, and that they have already become a "tough out".

Initial prognosis is Prince is out 3-4 weeks. That means he could be back by the Stanford game.

K-State is next week, BYE and then Stanford.

Brehaut wasn't too far behind Prince either, so I think we'll survive without him until possibly Oregon.

AZ Golfer
09-13-2009, 09:07 PM
You obviously have never been to a game infront of 100k+ people in the stands.

Obviously you couldn't be anymore wrong. I've been to Neyland Stadium Trice. LSU/Tenn and UGA/Tenn x 2. Neyland is a tough crowd. Tennessee is an extremely weak team. I am also 3 hrs south of Knoxville and very familiar with the happenings there.

And you are comparing NAU's talent to Tennessee's, or even their coaching staff?

No, if you read above, I clearly stated there are several high school teams that could give them a run for their money.

AZ Golfer
09-13-2009, 09:22 PM
Not jokes? Is it 1992?

Did you not see Borat? Those jokes never died. I laughed.

Taylor
09-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Did you not see Borat? Those jokes never died. I laughed.

I laughed when I was reading your stupid new traditions thread.

Where did that go?

AZ Golfer
09-13-2009, 09:26 PM
I laughed when I was reading your stupid new traditions thread.

Where did that go?

We changed the title and reworked it a bit. It's around still hahnking around.

uacats
09-13-2009, 10:13 PM
Tennessee is bad and looked liked Craft was their QB Saturday.

Tennesse lost to Wyoming in front of 100,000K last year.

AZ Golfer
09-13-2009, 10:20 PM
Tennessee is bad and looked liked Craft was their QB Saturday.

Tennesse lost to Wyoming in front of 100,000K last year.

It can't be. Someone on here speaking rationally. Thank you for the post. Hopefully they are getting the point.

:cheers:

Love the thread tags on this one.

All the comparison's to "TCM" leads me to believe he was a cool guy. Maybe one day people will speak of me as AZG. Only legends are referred to in acronyms.

TucsonDon
09-14-2009, 01:57 AM
Initial prognosis is Prince is out 3-4 weeks. That means he could be back by the Stanford game.

K-State is next week, BYE and then Stanford.

Brehaut wasn't too far behind Prince either, so I think we'll survive without him until possibly Oregon.

If he's out 3-to-4 weeks he won't be back for the Stanford game; that'd mean he'd only be out for two weeks. Incidentally that game is going to be a massive one for the Bruins.

I agree about Brehaut. Talented kid who I've thought was the future before they gave a kid in his own class the starting job. Prince wasn't exactly sharp yesterday and aside from not throwing any picks, I'd say he played a pretty poor game. I'm in the minority amongst UCLA fans but I'd have no problem if Brehaut came in and took the job away.

Flipper
09-14-2009, 12:59 PM
I thought Prince handled himself well, and is a gamer.

If Brehaut is good enough to take over, then so be it. It just means that UCLA will have plenty of returning experience for future seasons.:)

I'll take a road win, in front of 100k+ screaming SEC fans any day of the week.;)

bcrisp
09-14-2009, 02:03 PM
The UCLA win is a quality win no matter how you slice it IMO. If Arizona won that game I would be fired up about. I think UCLA has some issues but it seems evident that they are improving.

AZ Golfer
09-14-2009, 03:02 PM
People seem to forget that UCLA beat TENN last year as well. Yes, it was home, blah blah, not in front of 100k+ fans, blah blah.

What did that prove again? Oh yeah, that they could lose the next 3 games in a row and tally up a total of 8 losses on the season.

Intermezzo
09-14-2009, 03:03 PM
A win on the road against an SEC team in a game in which you were an 8 point dog can be considered a pretty good win. Crompton sucks hard, but we have some pretty good people in the secondary.

"UCLA could easily still lose their remaining games." Yes, thank you very much for that gem, AZ Golfer. Brilliant reasoning there.

Intermezzo
09-14-2009, 03:10 PM
People seem to forget that UCLA beat TENN last year as well. Yes, it was home, blah blah, not in front of 100k+ fans, blah blah.

What did that prove again? Oh yeah, that they could lose the next 3 games in a row and tally up a total of 8 losses on the season.

Last year UCLA beat Tennessee, but it was quite obvious that we were getting manhandled in the trenches and TN was stronger and more athletic overall. The tone of the game was very different from this year. Tennessee was bad, but UCLA was an worse team. Quite honestly, I don't know how we won that game.

This year, I thought it was quite apparent that UCLA was the better team and that is why we were able to pull off the win in front of 103K of their fans (and despite the refs' best efforts to hand TN the win). We won that game in the trenches and Brian Price embarrassed their OL. We're stronger, and much more physical than we were last year.

smashmode
09-14-2009, 03:23 PM
Tenn is not a quality win b/c of the size of their stadium.

Just stop now.

Flipper
09-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Just stop now.

Ha ha ha

Smashie, what do you think of Sarkisian? I thought you guys played LSU tough, and is starting to play with purpose.

Fast forward a year or two, and I think the Huskies will be contending for that spot just below USC.

Basically, I think the worst is over for your program.:)

smashmode
09-14-2009, 04:34 PM
Ha ha ha

Smashie, what do you think of Sarkisian? I thought you guys played LSU tough, and is starting to play with purpose.

Fast forward a year or two, and I think the Huskies will be contending for that spot just below USC.

Basically, I think the worst is over for your program.:)

I love Sarkisian, I almost forgot what it felt like seeing a team at least prepared and able to make adjustments and play with some passion and fire. I just wish that Sark got Locker as a freshman. He already looks like a entirely different QB under Sark.

I'm not going there yet (Taking the Oregon/Cal spot under USC), Baby steps..maybe the vegas bowl next year.

Your Defense looked really good (Yes we know crompton sucks), but the pressure you guys were able to generate was awesome.

coeagle
09-14-2009, 04:55 PM
The UCLA win was a good win. I honestly can't see how people could try and dispute that. Crompton really does suck, but that doesn't take away that it was a good win for UCLA and their D looked good (but Crompton did help a little with that) and they look like they are getting better. I'm glad we have UCLA at home this year because I think the weasel is getting close to turning things around.

AZ Golfer
09-14-2009, 05:38 PM
A win on the road against an SEC team in a game in which you were an 8 point dog can be considered a pretty good win. Crompton sucks hard, but we have some pretty good people in the secondary.

"UCLA could easily still lose their remaining games." Yes, thank you very much for that gem, AZ Golfer. Brilliant reasoning there.

They only won 4 games last year. Not sure what they've done thus far to make everyone in this thread not remember that.

Reasoning that UCLA is an improved team b/c they beat TENN is as brilliant as running full speed, head first, into a brick wall.

The deductive reasoning skills going here defies all elementary school logic.

NEWS FLASH: THE CONFERENCE, HOW LOUD THE FANS ARE, AND HOW BIG THE STADIUM IS DOES NOT HAVE A DIRECT CORRELATION TO HOW GOOD A TEAM IS.

What we can deduce from previous games, from actual facts, is that both UCLA and TENN should be temporarily removed to a DII conference this season.

What time is it? Amateur hour?

bruinfanatic432
09-14-2009, 06:25 PM
This UCLA team is not the same as last years, CoachB. The offensive line is completely different, the defense is older and better, we actually have a QB that can throw the ball (either Brehaut or Prince), our running backs are a huge improvement, and our special teams is tremendous. Just the defense alone will keep this team in basically every game they play and give them a chance every Saturday.

Considering your expertise on this bruin squad, how many wins do you think UCLA gets this year?

NorCalCat
09-14-2009, 06:28 PM
Reasoning that UCLA is an improved team b/c they beat TENN is as brilliant as running full speed, head first, into a brick wall.

How can one not reason this?

UCLA won in overtime at home last year by virtue of a missed Tenn field goal.

UCLA won, and outplayed Tennessee, on the road, and in regulation this year.

Even the most casual college football fan knows that home field advantage should constitute a six point swing. And I know you're not trying to convince people that Tennessee is actually worse than last year, are you?

Reydituto
09-14-2009, 06:38 PM

Riddle me this:

If UA beats Iowa this week at Kinnick, is that not an impressive road win?

They only won 4 games last year. Not sure what they've done thus far to make everyone in this thread not remember that.

NEWS FLASH: THE CONFERENCE, HOW LOUD THE FANS ARE, AND HOW BIG THE STADIUM IS DOES NOT HAVE A DIRECT CORRELATION TO HOW GOOD A TEAM IS.

You ignore a few possibilities here:

1.) Tennessee could very well be better than last season.
2.) UCLA should be a better team this season if they just stay healthy.
3.) Home field advantage can certainly have an influence in the outcome of a game, regardless of how "good" each team is.

My advice: Don't tell IowaFan that Home Field Advantage doesn't matter. Some of us tried that earlier and met with fierce opposition to the idea ... :lol:

BeachCat97
09-14-2009, 07:08 PM
Last year UCLA beat Tennessee, but it was quite obvious that we were getting manhandled in the trenches and TN was stronger and more athletic overall. The tone of the game was very different from this year. Tennessee was bad, but UCLA was an worse team. Quite honestly, I don't know how we won that game.

This year, I thought it was quite apparent that UCLA was the better team and that is why we were able to pull off the win in front of 103K of their fans (and despite the refs' best efforts to hand TN the win). We won that game in the trenches and Brian Price embarrassed their OL. We're stronger, and much more physical than we were last year.

I love the sig, Intermessy. So far, my prediction is spot on. And there aren't any Pac-10 titles or FF berths for UCLA on the horizon. But keep hopin :)

AZ Golfer
09-14-2009, 08:35 PM
Riddle me this:

If UA beats Iowa this week at Kinnick, is that not an impressive road win?

You ignore a few possibilities here:

1.) Tennessee could very well be better than last season.
2.) UCLA should be a better team this season if they just stay healthy.
3.) Home field advantage can certainly have an influence in the outcome of a game, regardless of how "good" each team is.

My advice: Don't tell IowaFan that Home Field Advantage doesn't matter. Some of us tried that earlier and met with fierce opposition to the idea ... :lol:

You highlighted my point without really knowing it I think. I "ignored possibilities". Possibilities being the operative word. Is it possible that UCLA is better....absolutely. Is it possible that TENN is better....absolutely. Am I going to draw conclusions that they are better teams in WK2 when neither have been tested, absolutely not.

And to answer your other question, yes, I will consider AZ's win a quality win should they pull it out...whether it is home, away, or played in London. Recent history has told me that both squads are decent. I cannot say the same for the two teams in question.

Vegas says home field advantage is worth 4 pts. I agree.

Reydituto
09-14-2009, 08:56 PM
You highlighted my point without really knowing it I think. I "ignored possibilities". Possibilities being the operative word. Is it possible that UCLA is better....absolutely. Is it possible that TENN is better....absolutely. Am I going to draw conclusions that they are better teams in WK2 when neither have been tested, absolutely not.

And to answer your other question, yes, I will consider AZ's win a quality win should they pull it out...whether it is home, away, or played in London. Recent history has told me that both squads are decent. I cannot say the same for the two teams in question.

Well, then it all boils down to a matter of opinion and not as much fact. I would argue based in what I've seen both Tenn & UCLA are better teams this season than last season, and that winning a close game on the road, across the country (going east especially), in front of 100K+ opposing fans, is a big deal, whether you want to admit it or not.

UA beating Iowa at Kinnick to me would be equally as impressive as UCLA beating Tenn in Neyland IMO, which is why I asked the question. Your opinion about the UCLA-Tenn game would seem to be the minority report.

bruins01
09-14-2009, 08:57 PM
"Recent history" like Iowa struggling to beat Northern Iowa at home? Come on.

EDIT: I'm not arguing that beating Iowa on the road wouldn't be a quality win, I'm arguing that your logic is ridiculous.

MrBug708
09-14-2009, 09:02 PM

What recent history has said that Arizona and Iowa are decent while UCLA and Tennessee are not?

GlobalCat
09-14-2009, 09:02 PM
Iowa > Tennessee

bruins01
09-14-2009, 09:05 PM
Iowa > Tennessee

I probably agree with you, but according to AZGolfer's own logic, they aren't...

MrBug708
09-14-2009, 09:09 PM
Iowa > Tennessee

Maybe so but if you combine their wins over the past 4 years, the UCLA/Tennessee combo have 5 more wins then the Iowa/Arizona combo.

Reydituto
09-14-2009, 09:28 PM
Maybe so but if you combine their wins over the past 4 years, the UCLA/Tennessee combo have 5 more wins then the Iowa/Arizona combo.

AZ Golfer is referring to last season + this season, nothing more. I agree that UA & Iowa were certainly better last year than both UCLA & Tenn. Obviously the book is still out on this season, and I obviously don't agree with AZ Golfer's take on the UCLA-Tenn game last Saturday either.

AZ Golfer
09-14-2009, 11:28 PM
I don't agree UA & Iowa were certainly better last year than both UCLA & Tenn.

I lost many a brain cell reading this sentence. I'm thinking you meant to say "disagree". HOWEVER, you went onto say "I obviously don't agree with AZ Golfer's take on the UCLA-Tenn game last Saturday either." ...which leads me to believe you did indeed intend to say "don't agree". Which my only retort is simply, WOW.

Iowa > Tennessee

And Arizona > UCLA.

And now that is being argued, which is also very, very interesting, mildly entertaining and rather hilarious. Rey is correct, I'm looking as far back as last season and no further. I'm not judging a program, I'm judging a current team. Although, I would say TENN is at a severe disadvantage over last year with a new coach and system. Everyone understands that the legend Phil Fulmer is no longer the coach there, right?...and this is their first year under a new coach/system? More often than not a new system has to take a step back, before they can go forward. There are obviously exceptions.

If TENN ends up making a bowl game, I would look back say this was a quality win. However, TENN (and UCLA) have proven nothing thus far. Both teams will remain borderline DII schools in my book until they prove something. Last weekend did nothing for UCLA's case.

I probably agree with you, but according to AZGolfer's own logic, they aren't...

How one would deduce this from paragraphs upon paragraphs I've written in this thread is beyond my comprehension. My logic is quite simple and rather rational. It is void of emotion, bias, and big titties (just making sure you're awake). I'm not going to repeat it as it is clearly laid out above.

What recent history has said that Arizona and Iowa are decent while UCLA and Tennessee are not?

This too will also get the simple, but all telling, 'WOW' response. I rarely hand this out, but I'm gong to go with the ever elusive double 'WOW'.

Would I be happy if I were a UCLA fan, yes. Would I be making claims that my team is better? Probably not. I would wait for victorious results vs better competition to lay such claims.

uacats
09-14-2009, 11:38 PM
Just based on how Arizona and UCLA played BYU last year:

Arizona > UCLA

Reydituto
09-15-2009, 03:56 AM
I lost many a brain cell reading this sentence. I'm thinking you meant to say "disagree". HOWEVER, you went onto say "I obviously don't agree with AZ Golfer's take on the UCLA-Tenn game last Saturday either." ...which leads me to believe you did indeed intend to say "don't agree". Which my only retort is simply, WOW.

Yeah I goofed there. I didn't completely edit what I had originally typed. UA & Iowa >> UCLA & Tenn last season.

I still think beating Tenn in Neyland is a a good win, and I still think both UCLA & Tenn will be better this season than last.

11Banners
09-15-2009, 06:34 AM

If TENN ends up making a bowl game, I would look back say this was a quality win. However, TENN (and UCLA) have proven nothing thus far. Both teams will remain borderline DII schools in my book until they prove something. Last weekend did nothing for UCLA's case.

How one would deduce this from paragraphs upon paragraphs I've written in this thread is beyond my comprehension. My logic is quite simple and rather rational. It is void of emotion, bias, and big titties (just making sure you're awake). I'm not going to repeat it as it is clearly laid out above.

Considering UCLA has 3-4 new starters on the OL, a new starter at TE (paulson returned from injury), a new QB, new RBs, and quite a few new WRs (Pressley and Carroll), it seems your take of "logic without emotion or bias" also lacks due diligence. But yeah, I'm sure a defense with Verner, Price, Carter, Ayers, Moore etc., is DII quality. I don't see Bruin fans anywhere calling for a national title or even a Pac-10 crown. But 8 or 9 wins definitely looks possible now which would lead to another major recruiting class and have us headed in the direction of Pac-10 and national title consideration in the future with such a young and talented team.

TheCat
09-15-2009, 10:20 AM
9 wins is a stretch for UCLA. Any win on the road , minus WSU, is impressive.

AZ Golfer
09-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Considering UCLA has 3-4 new starters on the OL, a new starter at TE (paulson returned from injury), a new QB, new RBs, and quite a few new WRs (Pressley and Carroll), it seems your take of "logic without emotion or bias" also lacks due diligence. But yeah, I'm sure a defense with Verner, Price, Carter, Ayers, Moore etc., is DII quality. I don't see Bruin fans anywhere calling for a national title or even a Pac-10 crown. But 8 or 9 wins definitely looks possible now which would lead to another major recruiting class and have us headed in the direction of Pac-10 and national title consideration in the future with such a young and talented team.

Because there are new people in new positions...that automatically makes you think you have a shot winning 8/9 games? Please pass whatever you are smoking this way. I'm very aware that year to year there are personnel changes. Once again, until they prove something, they will be still be DII-esque in my book. They have proven nothing.

UCLA will win 9 games this year when monkeys fly out of my butt. My prediction:

9/19 Kansas State Swing Game/Win
10/03 @ Stanford Swing Game/Loss
10/10 Oregon Loss
10/17 No. 8 California Loss
10/24 @ Arizona Loss
10/31 @ Oregon State Swing Game/Toss Up
11/07 Washington Swing Game/Win
11/14 @ Washington State Swing Game/Win
11/21 Arizona State Swing Game/Toss Up
11/28 @ No. 3 USC Loss

If they win all of their swing games AND win their bowl game, they have a shot at 9 wins. You'll have better odds playing the lottery. I will say they have a very outside shot at 8 wins imo.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong, it happens from time to time. But I'm liking my chances in this one. Good luck this season.

MrBug708
09-15-2009, 10:47 AM
You also forgot to mention Arizona and Oregon as a swing game. The only non-swing games that UCLA wont win without it being a major upset, is both USC and Cal

Jason Scheer
09-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Oooh I want to play:

9/19 Kansas State Win
10/03 @ Stanford Loss
10/10 Oregon Loss
10/24 @ Arizona Loss
10/31 @ Oregon State Loss
11/07 Washington Swing Win
11/14 @ Washington State Win
11/21 Arizona State Win
11/28 @ No. 3 USC Loss

AZ Golfer
09-15-2009, 10:57 AM
You also forgot to mention Arizona and Oregon as a swing game. The only non-swing games that UCLA wont win without it being a major upset, is both USC and Cal

I dunno, I think you can pretty much put those losses in the books. Could be wrong.

Flipper
09-15-2009, 11:00 AM
Oooh I want to play:

9/19 Kansas State Win
10/03 @ Stanford Loss
10/10 Oregon Loss
10/24 @ Arizona Loss
11/21 Arizona State Win
11/28 @ No. 3 USC Loss

That makes it 6 wins, 6 losses. Possible...

I'd be very happy with a 7-5 record this season. I'm thinking Oregon at home is not an automatic loss. They don't seem to play any d, and we have a VERY good defensive squad.

Another upset somewhere else and we're talking 8 wins.:)

MrBug708
09-15-2009, 11:00 AM
Oooh I want to play:

9/19 Kansas State Win
10/03 @ Stanford Loss
10/10 Oregon Loss
10/24 @ Arizona Loss
11/21 Arizona State Win
11/28 @ No. 3 USC Loss

Is a team bowl eligible at 6-6 these days?

Flipper
09-15-2009, 11:02 AM
Is a team bowl eligible at 6-6 these days?

Six wins is the magic number, so YES.

MrBug708
09-15-2009, 11:04 AM
I think Sheer's predictions are worst case scenario's. I think UCLA beats Stanford and takes 2 from Arizona/ASU/Oregon/OSU

Flipper
09-15-2009, 11:14 AM
I think Sheer's predictions are worst case scenario's. I think UCLA beats Stanford and takes 2 from Arizona/ASU/Oregon/OSU

I hope yours come to fruition (9-3 will be off the hook), but then people will say that yours is the best case scenario.:);)

I actually think Stanford will be a tougher game than Cal, since it's a road game, and those guys play tough. Cal's good, but we have them at home. Wishful thinking, I know.....

CalStateTempe
09-15-2009, 11:16 AM
Why not...

9/19 Kansas State Win
10/03 @ Stanford Win
10/10 Oregon Win
10/24 @ Arizona Loss
11/21 Arizona State Win
11/28 @ No. 3 USC Loss

UCLA 7-5

11Banners
09-15-2009, 11:18 AM
Tedford has NEVER won in Los Angeles. If you're so sure about UCLA/CAl, Golfer, you should throw some duckets down on Cal right now. They are a 3-5 point favorite in Vegas against UCLA.

Every single game is winnable for UCLA or a swing game except SUC.

11Banners
09-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Because there are new people in new positions...that automatically makes you think you have a shot winning 8/9 games? Please pass whatever you are smoking this way. I'm very aware that year to year there are personnel changes. Once again, until they prove something, they will be still be DII-esque in my book. They have proven nothing.

When you bring in BETTER players, you expect the team to improve. Furthermore, the players who returned from last year (Rahim Moore, Ayers, Price, etc.) have all improved in every facet. A DII-esque team went to Knoxville 2 weeks ago and lost 65-3 to Tennessee. A top 5 Pac-10 team went into Knoxville last week and won 19-15.

MrBug708
09-15-2009, 11:26 AM
When you bring in BETTER players, you expect the team to improve. Furthermore, the players who returned from last year (Rahim Moore, Ayers, Price, etc.) have all improved in every facet. A DII-esque team went to Knoxville 2 weeks ago and lost 65-3 to Tennessee. A top 5 Pac-10 team went into Knoxville last week and won 19-15.

Not to mention Kevin Craft isn't being allowed near a field this year. He was third string last year and third string this year (behind 2 Frosh)

Jason Scheer
09-15-2009, 11:35 AM
I'd still like to see UCLA put up some legitimate points on the board because there are a bunch of other strong defenses in the conference. I think 6 or 7 wins is the most likely scenario and obviously UCLA can beat Oregon

11Banners
09-15-2009, 11:46 AM
I'd still like to see UCLA put up some legitimate points on the board because there are a bunch of other strong defenses in the conference. I think 6 or 7 wins is the most likely scenario and obviously UCLA can beat Oregon

UCLA was expected by Vegas to win 6.5 in the pre-season and that was expecting a loss to Tennessee. I think we're likely to win 7+ now assuming Brehaut is not Craft the II.

AZ Golfer
09-15-2009, 01:49 PM
Tedford has NEVER won in Los Angeles. If you're so sure about UCLA/CAl, Golfer, you should throw some duckets down on Cal right now. They are a 3-5 point favorite in Vegas against UCLA.

Every single game is winnable for UCLA or a swing game except SUC.

I'm in a league with some college friends. If the site we use has CAL anything under 7 pts, I will put my largest bet of the week on it. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: Wait, what? You can bet games now which are 4 wks out? Interesting.

Flipper
09-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Why not...

9/19 Kansas State Win
10/03 @ Stanford Win
10/10 Oregon Win
10/24 @ Arizona Loss
11/21 Arizona State Win
11/28 @ No. 3 USC Loss

UCLA 7-5

That's 8-4;):)

IMHO, anything beyond 7-5 is just plain GRAVY. I don't think we win both Stanford and Oregon, but we should have a decent shot against Cal (at home) and Arizona on the road. Wink, wink.

And oh, I'm glad we have the Huskies at home this year. That road game will be really tough going forward.

smashmode
09-15-2009, 05:13 PM
Ugh too much hype for this weekends game UW vs USC

Front page of ESPN.com

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0915/ncf_g_sarkisian_576.jpg

scumdevils86
09-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Why? Is everyone thinking that this will be USC's one craptastic loss of the year?

smashmode
09-15-2009, 05:25 PM
I'm feeling much better about the season after the first 2 games, of course, USC could shatter all of that by beating ups by 35, but I don't think that is going to happen

LSU - L
Idaho- W
USC- L (I really want to be realistic, but I think we have a slight shot at upset)
Stanford- W (Could be a loss its on the road, but I haven't been that impressed by Stanford)
Notre Dame- L (again I think we have a shot here, but more than likely we will lose)
Arizona- W (Its at home, I haven't really followed the ins and outs of Arizona football, You seem to have good defense, but not sure about O?)
Arizona State- W/L (50-50, could go either way. Its on the road, but how big of a home field advantage is it?)
Oregon- W (I can't figure this team out, I think oregon is more talented, but its at home)
UCLA- L (I think we can win here, but UCLA's D looks stout)
Oregon State- L (I think we can win here as well, but Oregon state has a nice HFA)
WSU- W
CAL- L (ts at home, but asking too much)

7-5 on the high end, 5-7 on the bottom end. I think we might be able to make it 6-6 (from the 2 games I've seen so far)

smashmode
09-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Why? Is everyone thinking that this will be USC's one craptastic loss of the year?

who knows. ESPN has them on upset alert. heh.

coeagle
09-15-2009, 08:34 PM
I think the cats will win Smash! But, being on the road it it really could be tough. Sark seems to have you going forward which you weren't in past years. haha. I think our D can control your O and I still think we can put up decent numbers.

I think our D will control Locker.

smashmode
09-15-2009, 10:42 PM
I think our D will control Locker.

Well definitely be fun to watch your Defense working against a QB that finally knows how to throw the ball.

hoops7243
09-16-2009, 12:13 AM
Last time I checked the line was USC - 20.

I am taking UW +20

smashmode
09-16-2009, 11:26 AM
Last time I checked the line was USC - 20.

I am taking UW +20

opened at 22 I think.

BlueMikey
09-16-2009, 12:06 PM
SI seems to get it. I think these are dead on, including where the MWC is placed. Considering how much ESPN loathes to talk about the MWC and the non-USC Pac-10, their rankings would probably look completely different.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/bill_trocchi/09/15/sec-tops/index.html?eref=sihpT1#ixzz0RBxcRWQ9

Before the college football season kicked off, most had already crowned the SEC the nation's best conference. Florida was the unanimous No. 1 (or close to), Ole Miss was a trendy dark horse, Alabama was only getting better under Nick Saban and top-level freshman talent was arriving at Tennessee, Georgia and LSU per usual.

The endless summer analysis also held that the ACC was poised for a breakout year, the Big Ten was in sorry shape and the Big 12 South boasted three national title contenders.

Two weeks in, some of those perceptions have held true, while others have already proven false. Working with some non-conference results, here is the first edition of the 2009 Conference Power Rankings.

NOTE: BCS+ stands for members of BCS conferences, non-BCS teams in the Top 25 (BYU, Boise St., etc.) and Notre Dame.

1. SEC

Nonconference record: 13-2
Record vs. BCS+ teams: 3-2
Best win: Alabama 34-Virginia Tech 24
Worst loss: UCLA 19-Tennessee 15
Top 25 teams: Five

The skinny: With three teams in the top 5 and four in the top 10, it's hard to put the SEC anywhere but No. 1. Week 1 featured matchups against the usual lineup of cream-puffs, and without exception SEC teams put up big numbers and avoided close calls. Georgia's loss to Oklahoma State hurt the league to a degree, and Tennessee's failure against UCLA was a black mark since UCLA figures to be a borderline bowl team this year, but the strength at the top of the league is unmatched. Alabama's controlling win over Virginia Tech will be one of the strongest nonconference wins a league boasts by season's end.

2. Big 12

Nonconference record: 16-6
Record vs. BCS+ teams: 3-3
Best win: Oklahoma State 24-Georgia 10
Worst loss: Louisiana Lafayette 17-Kansas State 15
Top 25 teams: Five

The skinny: The Big 12, Pac-10 and Big Ten are all closely clumped together in the race for the No. 2 spot, but the number of ranked teams earns the Big 12 the edge. That said, it hasn't been all smooth sailing for the league. Texas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State figured to wage a season-long battle in the Big 12 South similar to last year's Texas-Oklahoma-Texas Tech thriller. Now, after two weeks, only Texas remains unbeaten. Oklahoma State beat Georgia but then succumbed to the SI cover jinx by losing to Conference USA's Houston, Oklahoma failed to handle BYU when Sam Bradford went down and even Texas appeared rather sluggish in Week 2 before pulling away from Wyoming. Colorado's losses to Colorado State and Toledo haven't exactly helped the league, either. But remember, five Big 12 teams ranks in the Top 25, and the Nebraska-Missouri-Kansas race in the North may be able to stand up to its Southern counterpart. Nebraska's game at Virginia Tech this weekend is a big one for that division.

3. Pac-10

Nonconference record: 13-4
Record vs. BCS+ teams: 4-3
Best win: USC 18-Ohio State 15
Worst loss: Hawaii 38-Washington State 20
Top 25 teams: Two

The skinny: USC certainly didn't overwhelm Ohio State, but few (if any) other visiting teams will win at the Horseshoe this year. The fact that the Trojans could won there in Matt Barkley's second start under center bodes well, and USC figures to only get better as the year goes on. UCLA's win at Tennessee makes it two straight over the ex-SEC power and Washington State's 38-20 loss to Hawaii is the league's worst, which isn't so bad. The Pac-10's weakness is its lack of Top 25 teams, but there is plenty of good news on the left coast. Oregon bounced back from its disastrous opener at Boise, Arizona looks improved, Oregon State won at the buzzer against UNLV and Washington appears much better under first-year coach Steve Sarkisian. Not to mention the Cal Bears, who don't look like they'll vacate the top 10 anytime soon.

4. Big Ten

Nonconference record: 18-3
Record vs. BCS+ teams: 4-2
Best win: Michigan 38-Notre Dame 34
Worst loss: Central Michigan 29-Michigan State 27
Top 25 teams: Three

The skinny: The Big Ten boasts an impressive nonconference record and has generally played better than expected this season. What gave the Pac-10 the edge was USC's win at Ohio State and the Big Ten's series of close calls in Week 2 against inferior competition. Wisconsin struggled mightily against Fresno State, Indiana beat Western Michigan by four, Northwestern beat Eastern Michigan by three and Michigan State ended up losing to Central Michigan by two. Those results plus Illinois' no-show performance against Missouri in Week 1 pushed the Big Ten down to No. 4. Let's not forget, however, that Michigan looks much improved (must be all the practice), Penn State is legit and Ohio State came within a minute of beating USC.

5. Mountain West

Nonconference record: 11-6
Record vs. BCS+ teams: 3-5
Best win: BYU 14-Oklahoma 13
Worst loss: Tulsa 44-New Mexico 10
Top 25 teams: Three

The skinny: The Mountain West has earned its way into these rankings (which formerly consisted only of the Big Six) with some outstanding play the last few years. That hasn't changed this season, with BYU's landscape-changing win over Oklahoma in Week 1 and Utah and TCU holding their places in the Top 25. Plus, the league has suffered very few 'bad' losses. New Mexico has been blown out twice, but other than that, MWC teams have only lost to UCLA, Texas, Minnesota and Oregon State. If BYU beats Florida State this weekend, the league's reputation will stay strong and the Cougars will start to creep into the national championship discussion.

6. ACC

Nonconference record: 12-7
Record vs. BCS+ teams: 2-5
Best win: Wake Forest 24-Stanford 17
Worst loss: William & Mary 26-Virginia 14
Top 25 teams: Four

The skinny: After a horrid opening weekend that featured two losses to the Colonial Athletic Association, the ACC recovered a bit in the second week by going 8-1 as a league, with the lone loss coming when Virginia fell to TCU. The league's best games have come within the conference, with Florida State and Miami putting on an impressive show on Labor Day night and Georgia Tech and Clemson playing out a thriller last Thursday in Atlanta. The league cannot be left off the hook for its opening week flop, but if Virginia Tech can beat Nebraska, Florida State beats BYU and Georgia Tech and Miami put on another good ACC show on Thursday, the league will be well on its way to shaking off its embarrassing start.

7. Big East

Nonconference record: 10-3
Record vs. BCS+ teams: 0-3
Best win: West Virginia 35-East Carolina 20
Worst loss: Minnesota 23-Syracuse 20
Top 25 teams: One

The skinny: The Big East's nonconference slate has been an utter snooze-fest thus far, as the "best win" and "worst loss" selections indicate. The league's biggest surprise has been Cincinnati, which lost a big group of seniors but charged out of the gate with a blowout of Rutgers in Week 1. UConn showed fortitude in a 12-10 loss to North Carolina in a Saturday game that would have given the league a nice bump had the Huskies come through. West Virginia looks like it may play its way into the Top 25. Until the Mountaineers or another Big East team climb into the polls, however, it'll be tough for the Big East to move out of the No. 7 spot.

DrV
09-16-2009, 12:32 PM
^ Nice to see SI give a shout out to the Cats in this treatment and not even mention Tempe Normal.

Winger
09-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Thanks for that link BM.

I liked the "must be all the practice" ....

Depends on your definition, but both the Oklahoma and Oklahoma State losses are "worse" than the Kansas State loss to me.

When I see LSU struggle with Washington, and Alabama struggle with Va Tech, I have a hard time believeing the strength at the top of the SEC is "unmatched", Big XII is close.

AZ Golfer
09-16-2009, 01:27 PM
SI does get it. Notice SEC's worst loss.

Itamicbomb
09-16-2009, 01:38 PM

The SEC's only other loss to date was a road loss to a higher ranked team.

Reydituto
09-16-2009, 04:09 PM

Which conversely means it was a good win for the Pac-10.

AZ Golfer
09-16-2009, 07:17 PM
Which conversely means it was a good win for the Pac-10.

:lol: No, it doesn't.

Flipper
09-16-2009, 08:31 PM

Sure it does.:);)

Reydituto
09-16-2009, 08:45 PM

:lol2: Yes it does.

If, say, Central Michigan goes to MSU and wins, that is a bad loss for MSU, AND a good win for CMU. It's not mutually exclusive. We can go round and round all you want, but UCLA beating an SEC team on the road in front of 100K+ people is a good win, and the majority of interested people agree with that. You don't. We get it. But you haven't proven anything by constantly stating your opinion over and over.

smashmode
09-16-2009, 09:08 PM

How can you honestly say that a Iowa win is a 'quality' win, but a Tennessee win is not quality? What do you base that off of honestly?

Reydituto
09-16-2009, 09:19 PM
How can you honestly say that a Iowa win is a 'quality' win, but a Tennessee win is not quality? What do you base that off of honestly?

His reasoning is that Tennessee sucks so bad that beating them at Neyland is no big deal. He's incorrect IMO, but that's his argument. He'd also say that Iowa is better than Tenn, and that UA + Iowa this season >>> UCLA & Tenn. Which to me doesn't support his argument, but whatever.

bruins01
09-16-2009, 10:04 PM
I'm happy that Rey is actually defending UCLA in the AR forum for the first time in history (even if it's just to lay the groundwork for patting himself on the back when Arizona beats Iowa), but I have to point out specious reasoning when I see it. As a UCLA alumnus, being the winner of the game that a publication called "the SEC's worst loss" is not exactly something I would write in the UCLA media guide.

Reydituto
09-16-2009, 10:33 PM
I'm happy that Rey is actually defending UCLA in the AR forum for the first time in history (even if it's just to lay the groundwork for patting himself on the back when Arizona beats Iowa), but I have to point out specious reasoning when I see it. As a UCLA alumnus, being the winner of the game that a publication called "the SEC's worst loss" is not exactly something I would write in the UCLA media guide.

It's more of a Pac-10 thing for me, but I also don't think "the SEC's worst loss" undercuts the idea that UCLA had a good win. Of course, I wouldn't "phrase" that way either in the UCLA Media Guide. :lol:

TucsonDon
09-16-2009, 11:51 PM
It's more of a Pac-10 thing for me, but I also don't think "the SEC's worst loss" undercuts the idea that UCLA had a good win. Of course, I wouldn't "phrase" that way either in the UCLA Media Guide. :lol:
Do you see now why I didn't think it'd be worth it to deal with this schmuck? At first I thought he just didn't know what he was talking about but it's now clear that he's got a nice balance of moronic takes and issues with needing attention going on.

AZ Golfer
09-17-2009, 01:32 AM

b/c Tenn is bad and Iowa is not. I like to keep it simple.

Yes it does.

Rey, look at the loses they have to choose from. Someone else already pointed that out. They had to select this one by default. Has nothing to do the 'quality of win', 'upset' etc. UGA losing to #9 Ok State or Tenn/UCLA.

His reasoning is that Tennessee sucks so bad that beating them at Neyland is no big deal. He's incorrect IMO, but that's his argument.

Rey can read, others I question.

He'd also say that Iowa is better than Tenn, and that UA + Iowa this season >>> UCLA & Tenn. Which to me doesn't support his argument, but whatever.

That wasn't to support any argument. Someone asked if I thought that would be a quality win and I stated yes.

Here's my question Rey. If Arizona played Washington last weekend and beat them 49-0, would that be a quality win? Why or why not.

Don, your words are crushing...seriously. :surrender Whatever floats your boat. Sorry I don't see things as you. Guess we're not allowed to have opinions around here. You have stated nothing to back up yours (except a good amount of faith in a brand new coaching staff and some freshman...give me a break). I have provided a slurry of substantiation. Deal with it jerkoff.

smashmode
09-18-2009, 12:45 PM
b/c Tenn is bad and Iowa is not. I like to keep it simple.

And how did you come up with this reasoning? Is it based on this years results?

Winger
09-18-2009, 12:59 PM
Sagarin through 2 weeks ....

1 PAC-10
2 SOUTHEASTERN
3 ATLANTIC COAST
4 BIG 12
5 BIG TEN
6 BIG EAST

AZ Golfer
09-18-2009, 01:32 PM

as stated numerous times, and brought up again by Rey...last year and this year

Flipper
09-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Sagarin through 2 weeks ....

1 PAC-10
2 SOUTHEASTERN
3 ATLANTIC COAST
4 BIG 12
5 BIG TEN
6 BIG EAST

Awesome.:)

EastCoastCat
09-18-2009, 01:44 PM
Some good OOC games this weekend to show the country and the media pundits that the Pac 10 as a whole is pretty good...not just SC and the 9 dwarfs.

spokanebruin
09-18-2009, 03:09 PM

Well apparently IOWA is now in the running for a BCS bowl game after there stunning victories over Northern Iowa and Iowa State.:)

AZ Golfer
09-18-2009, 04:14 PM
Well apparently IOWA is now in the running for a BCS bowl game after there stunning victories over Northern Iowa and Iowa State.:)

Are you saying Tenn is better than Iowa? And what would you be basing this on?

spokanebruin
09-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Are you saying Tenn is better than Iowa? And what would you be basing this on?

Yeah I think Tenn is better. I watched Iowa play Northern Iowa and some of there Iowa State game. Crompton stinks. I think UCLA's defense had something to do with that as well. But I just think Tenn. has better athletes. I don't really care one way or the other. I hope zona' beats Iowa and i know that Florida is going to kill Tenn. Lame K. ran his mouth and Meyer is going to bury them.

smashmode
09-19-2009, 02:13 AM
as stated numerous times, and brought up again by Rey...last year and this year

Teams are different from year to year.

Looking at this year, they beat a bad iowa state squad, and almost lost to Northern Iowa.

Tennessee's 1-1 looks much better than Iowa's 2-0

AZ Golfer
09-19-2009, 07:03 PM
As of right now, the UCLA win was indeed a quality win.

barringer97
12-01-2009, 06:45 PM
UCLA was expected by Vegas to win 6.5 in the pre-season and that was expecting a loss to Tennessee. I think we're likely to win 7+ now assuming Brehaut is not Craft the II.

You lose.

MrBug708
12-01-2009, 06:51 PM
ErYou lose.

Season isn't over

Morgan
12-01-2009, 06:53 PM
over unders don't include bowl games

Jason Scheer
12-01-2009, 11:15 PM

Scheer wins

WayneNewton
12-01-2009, 11:19 PM
The GoAZ Bruins are a mess today. I haven't laughed this hard since 'The Hangover'. :lol2:

Please, keep bumping.

Reydituto
12-02-2009, 04:14 AM
Oooh I want to play:

9/19 Kansas State Win
10/03 @ Stanford Loss
10/10 Oregon Loss
10/24 @ Arizona Loss
11/21 Arizona State Win
11/28 @ No. 3 USC Loss

Damn ... well done sir ...

Not so much.

Not to mention Kevin Craft isn't being allowed near a field this year.

Not so much.

Scheer wins

:lol:

The GoAZ Bruins are a mess today. I haven't laughed this hard since 'The Hangover'. :lol2:

Please, keep bumping.

Well, what comes around ...

smashmode
12-02-2009, 10:46 AM
I'm feeling much better about the season after the first 2 games, of course, USC could shatter all of that by beating ups by 35, but I don't think that is going to happen

LSU - L
Idaho- W
USC- L (I really want to be realistic, but I think we have a slight shot at upset)
Stanford- W (Could be a loss its on the road, but I haven't been that impressed by Stanford)
Notre Dame- L (again I think we have a shot here, but more than likely we will lose)
Arizona- W (Its at home, I haven't really followed the ins and outs of Arizona football, You seem to have good defense, but not sure about O?)
Arizona State- W/L (50-50, could go either way. Its on the road, but how big of a home field advantage is it?)
Oregon- W (I can't figure this team out, I think oregon is more talented, but its at home)
UCLA- L (I think we can win here, but UCLA's D looks stout)
Oregon State- L (I think we can win here as well, but Oregon state has a nice HFA)
WSU- W
CAL- L (ts at home, but asking too much)

7-5 on the high end, 5-7 on the bottom end. I think we might be able to make it 6-6 (from the 2 games I've seen so far)

Well I missed on a several, got a couple of right. Wasn't too terrible.

Coop Cat
12-03-2009, 12:08 AM
Not as bad of a loss but New Mexico beats Cal by 8. It was at UNM which makes it not as bad a loss for Cal, but still bad.

smashmode
12-03-2009, 02:38 AM
Not as bad of a loss but New Mexico beats Cal by 8. It was at UNM which makes it not as bad a loss for Cal, but still bad.

this was a football thread I think ;)