PDA

View Full Version : Vontaze Burfict

Irish27
09-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Burfict is only a freshman but the guy is a beast. I can't see him staying no longer than three years. ASU has a gem in Burfict.

Reydituto
09-27-2009, 09:09 PM
If he can stay eligible, yes ...

GlobalCat
09-27-2009, 09:37 PM
If he was ever truly eligible. Before internet summer classes, would it have been possible for him to qualify?

hoops7243
09-27-2009, 11:21 PM
Burfict is only a freshman but the guy is a beast. I can't see him staying no longer than three years. ASU has a gem in Burfict.

As much as I hate the scummies, I give them that. the guy is at a different level. That play @ 4th and 1 vs UGA was insane. He is talented and is fast as hell.

But, bad news ASSU, your offense is garbage so you won't win many games ( unless they sit Sullivan).

GO BEAVERS!!!!

NYCats
09-28-2009, 01:54 PM
ASsU got lucky they even got him, he couldnt qualify at SC of all places, but you know ASsu, 95% acceptance rate.

dman25
09-28-2009, 04:22 PM
ASsU got lucky they even got him, he couldnt qualify at SC of all places, but you know ASsu, 95% acceptance rate.

This is just an ignorant post. ASU and USC have the same minimum entrance requirements which is all a high-profile college prospect must meet. We are not talking about Stanford here, both USC and ASU (and UA) only require the NCAA bare minimum.

ice
09-28-2009, 04:32 PM
ASU pulled off a miracle to get him in, he needed a ton of online classes. Of course, ASU also cleared him before the NCAA, no surprises there.

It's clear that ASU is looking to build their program off of bottom of the barrel students like Burfict, which worked in this case, but they are going to have to work real hard to keep kids like him eligible.

EastCoastCat
09-28-2009, 04:51 PM
This is just an ignorant post. ASU and USC have the same minimum entrance requirements which is all a high-profile college prospect must meet. We are not talking about Stanford here, both USC and ASU (and UA) only require the NCAA bare minimum.

You know jack **** about Pac 10 entrance requirements.

DrV
09-28-2009, 05:01 PM
I suppose I should have guessed he would be "maneuvered" through the eligibility process under Tempe Normal's "fine" academic stewardship.

http://forum.goazcats.com/showthread.php?t=92271

northshore20
09-28-2009, 05:04 PM
I suppose I should have guessed he would be "manuevered" through the eligibility process under Tempe Normal's "fine" academic stewardship.

http://forum.goazcats.com/showthread.php?t=92271

It's almost the same exact maneuvering that you guys did to get the great Louis Holmes in. This happens at all colleges, get over it.

MTFC
09-28-2009, 05:10 PM
Who cares? Burfict is ridiculously talented but for every one of him there are three or four Ryan Bass types who drag down the team's play and GPA with a lack of brain power and another three or four Jarrell Barbour's who never make it into school. It's a very slippery slope when your biggest recruiting tool is "we can get you into school when nobody else can." Of course that's why the team GPA has dropped rapidly at every one of Erickson's stops.

dman25
09-28-2009, 06:35 PM
You know jack **** about Pac 10 entrance requirements.

Enlighten me, please.

catgrad
09-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Enlighten me, please.

This.

Let's drop the attitude and spell it out for those who don't follow entrance requirements closely.

Jason Scheer
09-29-2009, 03:02 PM
There aren't dozens of recruits in his situation with a GPA as low as his. He took like 8 classes, didn't he? The two guys you mentioned were already in JC. The guy basically passes one semester of high school and got into college

PerpEph
09-29-2009, 03:09 PM
There aren't dozens of recruits in his situation with a GPA as low as his. He took like 8 classes, didn't he? The two guys you mentioned were already in JC. The guy basically passes one semester of high school and got into college

Uh-oh. That's going to piss off the ASU ostriches.

Jason Scheer
09-29-2009, 03:10 PM
Eh..props to ASU for getting him in and taking the risk..paying off so far

LegallyKenny
09-29-2009, 03:13 PM
I don't expect to change anyone's mind despite my job but...

A - USC was recruiting VB until the last weekend and never just gave up or told him that he could not qualify. They would have done the exact same thing that ASU did and assuming VB did the same work, he would have gotten in there.

B - Nowadays there are dozens of recruits doing what VB did, Holmes did it and Gabe Long tried.

C - If ASU gets three years of VB they are lucky but at the same time nobody at ASU expects him to stay longer.

I don't think USC was giving him the comfort that ASU was that they would make him eligible.

the real dill
09-29-2009, 03:15 PM
This.

Let's drop the attitude and spell it out for those who don't follow entrance requirements closely.

All schools have the same requirements for eligibility. Some schools impose higher standards that what is required, but the requirements are set by the NCAA and not at the institution level. The NCAA clearinghouse grants eligibility, not the school.

Even the schools that impose higher standards for admission than the min. NCAA requirements make exceptions for the Vontaze Burfict's of the world.

To spell it out specifically for the those who don't follow entrance requirements, if you are eligible to play for ASU, you are eligible to play for Yale.

The question the school has to ask itself is, can we keep this young man eligible for more than just his freshman year?

Jason Scheer
09-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Didn't those guys have 2-3 years of JC classes and still need extra work and the appeal?

My point was there dozens of kids taking extra work to qualify and the NCAA clearinghouse backlog was as bad as it ever has.

From what I have been told it wasn't 8 classes.

You guys believe what you want...

There's an article I can't find..was posted on the national board as well that outlines what he needed to do. It was an absurd amount of classes in a very small amount of time...

There is a difference between extra work in the sense of a night class or whatever and what Burfict did.

Gabe Long didn't qualify at Arizona and that's still 2-3 more years than Burfict had.

LegallyKenny
09-29-2009, 04:05 PM
Didn't those guys have 2-3 years of JC classes and still need extra work and the appeal?

My point was there dozens of kids taking extra work to qualify and the NCAA clearinghouse backlog was as bad as it ever has been.

From what I have been told it wasn't 8 classes.

Kenny, ASU having Magee and Lyons in school and doing well mattered more in the end than anything either scholl said but SC was saying they could get him in too. SC took his commitment in Jan 08 when his situation was worse than it was after a semester his senior year. So why they would back off after him showing progress is beyond me.

You guys believe what you want...

I don't think we're at all in disagreement except that you seem to think this is some kind of recruiting coup for ASU when in reality it was ASU showing off their ****ty academics and Erickson's trademark desperation to win over all else. There's a difference to a recruit between USC "not backing off" and ASU's "Hey, we got these two illiterate ****tards in so we can get you in too."

azcat49
09-29-2009, 09:59 PM
I can't believe I am about to say this but I for one am glad he got into ASSU and is playing. I wish the NCAA would find more ways for kids to attend and have a college experience in both the academic side and the sports side.

I know college is not a right but a priviledge but what is the down side to having a suspect student enter school?

catgrad
09-29-2009, 10:37 PM
I know college is not a right but a priviledge but what is the down side to having a suspect student enter school?

If a school is going to bend the academic rules to admit a kid, how far are they willing to bend the rules to keep him eligible. So a kid without having completed the necessary academic requirements walks away with a degree and enters the workforce completely "on par" with students who did complete the necessary coursework. It's called academic fraud.

azcat49
09-29-2009, 11:02 PM
If a school is going to bend the academic rules to admit a kid, how far are they willing to bend the rules to keep him eligible. So a kid without having completed the necessary academic requirements walks away with a degree and enters the workforce completely "on par" with students who did complete the necessary coursework. It's called academic fraud.

Well I am assuming of course ASSU did everything above board to get him in. No student athlete should take the place of another student who rightfully qualified.