09-28-2009, 07:29 PM
Ouch.

DeezleWildcats
09-28-2009, 07:37 PM
nasty sounding injury - happened while benching

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4512778

JMarkJohns
09-28-2009, 07:38 PM
Heard he was coughing up blood. Sucks. How would such an injury affect his ability to play? Obviously limits such immediately, but gong forward?

uacats
09-28-2009, 07:47 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/10140366/USC's-Johnson-seriously-hurt-in-weightlifting-accident

budd1e_lee
09-28-2009, 07:53 PM
Big blow, hopefully everything turns out okay.

biz cat
09-28-2009, 07:53 PM
Ouch. That happened to me in high school, although it landed on my chest and I was probably benching half of what Johnson was.

MrBug708
09-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Probably should merge it with the offtopic thread about it

MrBug708
09-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Heard he was coughing up blood. Sucks. How would such an injury affect his ability to play? Obviously limits such immediately, but gong forward?

I owuld imagine it depends on how much injury there was to his neck

scumdevils86
09-28-2009, 07:58 PM
I chipped a tooth doing that once in high school. ha. Sounds awful, hopefully the news gets better.

TakiCat
09-28-2009, 08:05 PM
How is this possible, especially with a spotter??

Machina
09-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Man that sucks for the guy. Hope he gets better, don't want to lose out for that. I think I will stick with the HamerStrength ISO machines at the gym after hearing this.

PieceOfMeat
09-28-2009, 08:22 PM
:eek: holy f'ck

with a spotter even.

hope the guy comes out of it ok in the end.

bruins01
09-28-2009, 08:42 PM
As far as the spotter is concerned, the nervous system just can't react quickly enough to stop a falling 275-pound weight like that. I don't know about other kids, but we used to play this game that tested a similar reflex. Kid A would hold the end of a 12-inch ruler and let it hang down vertically. Kid B would hold his hand in a loose fist a few inches below the bottom end of the ruler. Kid A would then, at some point, release the ruler, and kid B would try to catch it before it falls through his fist. Kid B rarely, if ever, would, of course, because the brain just can't react that quickly. Now imagine the ruler weighs 275 pounds.

Friedrice
09-28-2009, 10:23 PM
Mcknight must've been the spotter.

willubearcat
09-29-2009, 12:50 AM
This happened to me once. He most likely did not have his thumb wrapped around the bar. I had 225 lbs drop on my neck (I turned my head as it slipped) and it bounced right off. I thought I was in deep trouble but other than some soreness I was fine. Ever since then I've always used my thumbs.

HiCat
09-29-2009, 05:34 AM
Carlisle also said an assistant strength and conditioning coach was acting as a "spotter" for Johnson at the time, but he did not identify the staff member.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-stafon-johnson-usc29-2009sep29,0,3244790.story

I hope it's a speedy and full recovery..

Stoopstrooper
09-29-2009, 08:57 AM
This is way more serious than the Tim Tebow situation, so where's the ambulance footage? Why no vigil on ESPN last night?

LegallyKenny
09-29-2009, 01:42 PM
As far as the spotter is concerned, the nervous system just can't react quickly enough to stop a falling 275-pound weight like that. I don't know about other kids, but we used to play this game that tested a similar reflex. Kid A would hold the end of a 12-inch ruler and let it hang down vertically. Kid B would hold his hand in a loose fist a few inches below the bottom end of the ruler. Kid A would then, at some point, release the ruler, and kid B would try to catch it before it falls through his fist. Kid B rarely, if ever, would, of course, because the brain just can't react that quickly. Now imagine the ruler weighs 275 pounds.

You didn't do very well in physics in high school did you.

barringer97
09-29-2009, 01:47 PM
carlisle also said an assistant strength and conditioning coach was acting as a "spotter" for johnson at the time, but he did not identify the staff member.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-stafon-johnson-usc29-2009sep29,0,3244790.story

i hope it's a speedy and full recovery..

cya?

Chicat
09-29-2009, 01:48 PM

I think he's talking about the damage it would do, not that it would fall more quickly.

bruins01
09-29-2009, 01:49 PM

What? I did very well in physics and have two degrees in two different hard sciences from UCLA.

I'm trying to figure out what you mean, but I'm guessing you're assuming that I thought the 275-pound weight would fall faster than the ruler. That's not what I meant. I meant that the neurological and muscular response required to stop a 275-pound weight as quickly as you can is much greater in magnitude than that required to stop a 3-ounce ruler. You simply can't prepare your arms to catch 275 pounds as quickly as you can prepare your hand to catch three ounces. What the hell did you think I meant?

Besides, I don't know what schools you went to, but we learned that Galileo dropping items of different weights from the top of the Tower of Pisa story in like second grade.

JMarkJohns
09-29-2009, 01:52 PM
What? I did very well in physics and have two degrees in two different hard sciences from UCLA.

I'm trying to figure out what you mean, but I'm guessing you're assuming that I thought the 275-pound weight would fall faster than the ruler. That's not what I meant. I meant that the neurological and muscular response required to stop a 275-pound weight as quickly as you can is much greater in magnitude than that required to stop a 3-ounce ruler. You simply can't prepare your arms to catch 275 pounds as quickly as you can to catch three ounces. What the hell did you think I meant?

Like others, upon first reading your post I too was confused and thought you meant weight dictated rate of fall. I read it through again and assumed you meant reaction time and such.

DrV
09-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Oh my god.

mass =\= weight

weight = mass (g)

pound mass =\= pound force

LegallyKenny
09-29-2009, 01:59 PM
Oh my god.

mass =\= weight

weight = mass (g)

I think we can safely assume that force of gravity in the the USC weight room is approximately equal to the average force of gravity on the surface of the earth near sea level.

bruins01
09-29-2009, 02:10 PM
Oh my god.

mass =\= weight

weight = mass (g)

HAHAHA. Oh man. Thanks for the lesson, genius.

I called it a "weight" because that's what it was. A weight. That Stafon Johnson was lifting. Because he was weightlifting. Lifting weights.

DrV
09-29-2009, 02:11 PM
HAHAHA. Oh man. Thanks for the lesson, genius.

I called it a "weight" because that's what it was. A weight. That Stafon Johnson was lifting. Because he was weightlifting. Lifting weights.

Better not to assume with you.

the real dill
09-29-2009, 02:48 PM

The major difference is the spotter should always have his hand underneath the bar and prepared to catch it. In fact, the spotter should never really lose contact with the bar. There is no catching action. If the bar drops, your hands should already be underneath it. Worst case scenario should be the spotter being dragged to the ground with his hands stuck between the bar and the player's neck.

haji81872
09-29-2009, 04:04 PM
Exactly my thoughts dill. Only a moron spots with his hands in a position where it could slide through. If I catch my spotter doing that I would stop immedliately, too many close calls seen around the gym.

bruins01
09-29-2009, 04:09 PM
Exactly my thoughts dill. Only a moron spots with his hands in a position where it could slide through. If I catch my spotter doing that I would stop immedliately, too many close calls seen around the gym.

I don't think anyone has said that the bar slipped through the spotter's hands. The point of my post earlier was that there's only so much a spotter can do when a 275-pound weight suddenly falls into his hands, no matter how much attention he was paying. What the spotter is capable of doing could prevent major injury if it falls onto the lifter's chest, but the neck is much more vulnerable and can be badly damaged by much less force. I would be willing to bet that the spotter prevented much more catastrophic injury.

CalStateTempe
09-29-2009, 05:37 PM
Just read chi's post, and decided to amend a previous post for the sanctity of Arch-Rivals.

Can we make a weightlifting thread in the PBR forum so Bruins can pontificate on the proper ways of using a spotter?

God speed for Johnson's recovery.

bruins01
09-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Anyway, apparently doctors are going to wait six weeks before they are even going to let Stafon TRY to talk again. That sounds miserable.

77HoyaCat4Ever
09-29-2009, 06:18 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4516365&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Neurologically intact. Gave his mom the thumbs up. Has tracheostomy - will take time to heal.

CalStateTempe
09-29-2009, 06:22 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4516365&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Neurologically intact. Gave his mom the thumbs up. Has tracheostomy - will take time to heal.

There's your 6wks

Nice post, thanks for the update.

TheCat
09-29-2009, 08:50 PM
The major difference is the spotter should always have his hand underneath the bar and prepared to catch it. In fact, the spotter should never really lose contact with the bar. There is no catching action. If the bar drops, your hands should already be underneath it. Worst case scenario should be the spotter being dragged to the ground with his hands stuck between the bar and the player's neck.

ding ding ding. No spotter worth a shi8 would remove his hands from under the bar unless the guy was just warming up way under his max.

The spotter should have two strained bicepts at a minimum if he was paying attention.

I agree he might not be able to control the weight but he should have been able to direct the fall away from his face. I also think he did not have his thumbs wraped around the bar and had them all on one side. Not a good thing when you are sweaty and lifting serious weight.

God speed and hopefully a full return to health.

He is lucky he has a trake. Being awake on a vent is not fun. It makes you feel like you are drownning. The sensation is so bad the patients will "buck the tube" and just pull the MF'r out if they are not restrained. Secondly you can't talk with a trake in unless you cover the whole with your finger........so talking right now is not an option. A vent can damage vocal chords if it is necessary to keep someone on it for a lengthly period. A trake is below the vocal chords and spares them any additional trama.

Zona_Soccer10
09-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Poor kid. Definately his health is first on USC's minds right now and so it should be.
To survive that the man must have one hell of a neck structure. Definately in everyone's thoughts.

DeezleWildcats
09-29-2009, 11:23 PM
ding ding ding. No spotter worth a shi8 would remove his hands from under the bar unless the guy was just warming up way under his max.

The spotter should have two strained bicepts at a minimum if he was paying attention.

Spotters should always being doing that, but how many times do you see proper safety measures not being followed? My guess from my experience is over 3/4ths of the time, guys could be safer in the weight room, and not just benching. The reality is that there are a lot of programs in a lot of sports, not just football, that could use some serious training in proper weight safety. Maybe Stefan Johnson & the spotter could've been safer, maybe not, you can read into the story and make guesses, but none of us were there. Hopefully something like this gets everyone thinking about safety in weights again. Unfortunately it came at the expense of Johnson's career. Good luck to him during his recovery.

Intermezzo
09-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Wouldn't the spotter pretty much have to have their balls over the guy's face? The only way you're going to grab and lift 275 lbs while spotting someone is if you're in a position to deadlift the bb. Heck, I think your ass would have to be over the lifter's face. If you grab a falling bar and don't let go while standing where spotters usually stand, not only will the bb fall on the lifter, so will the spotter.

In any event, I switched to using db's exclusively for bping a few years ago. This old bod isn't as reliable as it used to be.

TheCat
09-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Not sure where the 275 lbs figure came from .....never said it in the press. I agree a spotter would have a difficult time if the lifter had no control or lift. The spotter might be able to direct it away from his face however.