PDA

View Full Version : Not Sold on UW

catgrad
09-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Katz has an article on UW playing with a small lineup w/ Overton & IT & Gaddy on the floor at the same time. I think they're really going to miss Brockman this season. He bailed them out so often. I see UW giving up a lot of points because their guards are so small. Yes, they'll force some turnovers, but give it back in spades when opponents shoot over their small backcourt.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4502964&name=katz_andy

Flipper
09-28-2009, 07:50 PM
IT, Overton, Gaddy, Gant and Qpon. Wow.

Very, very quick, but ultimately a small line-up. They need to create lots of turnovers, because they'll get pounded on.

Intriguing team nonetheless.

Itamicbomb
09-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Their guards aren't good enough by half to pull that kind of a lineup. Don't think they really have much of a choice though, unless Trent becomes good enough to be the only big off the bench.

TFCATFAN
09-28-2009, 08:17 PM
They will be fun to watch, but I don't think they will win anything meaningful this year... as per usual...

TucsonClip
09-28-2009, 09:33 PM
Sounds more like Oregon than a typical Washington lineup. I think it works for short spurts, but they will get killed on the boards and are going to have to play pressure defense with that lineup.

Definitely interesting, but I cant see them going more than between media timeouts like that.

catgrad97
09-29-2009, 01:30 AM
And like Oregon, Washington is compelled to go with this lineup because Romar doesn't care to draw attention to the fact that his other bigs besides the raw Trent--Bryan-Amaning in particular--are stiffs who couldn't hold Brockman's jock down low.

Small ball is the best lineup Romar can put out there this season. Let's hope Kyryl and Horne develop enough so that Miller doesn't have to resort to the same strategy, because if he gets in a running contest with UW, he'll lose.

smashmode
10-01-2009, 11:18 AM
If Matthew-Amaning gets his head out of his you know what, He will be a really good player, long arms, has this little baby hook that is really hard to defend. He just needs to take the next step. If he can, I think the team can be special. Also if Gant can hit that mid range jumper, he would be so much more valuable.

Elston Turner has the potential to become a Glenn Rice kind of player, he has that same body, and in glimpses looked extremely talented last year, he also needs to step up. Obviously our guards are the strength of the team. But I am bullish on BMA and Gant.

smashmode
10-01-2009, 11:18 AM
They will be fun to watch, but I don't think they will win anything meaningful this year... as per usual...

:herbnit: right?

smashmode
10-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Sounds more like Oregon than a typical Washington lineup. I think it works for short spurts, but they will get killed on the boards and are going to have to play pressure defense with that lineup.

Definitely interesting, but I cant see them going more than between media timeouts like that.

Before Brockman, Romar ran 3 guard sets all the time, We always had the shortest players but because of hustle, we usually out rebounded larger teams.

Ziggiles
10-01-2009, 11:30 AM
That lineup is going to cause havoc but is going to get killed on the glass as previously mentioned. No way Quincy bangs like Brockman did last year. I would imagine he is going to end up floating around the 15 foot line proving he can play in the L. Expect a lot of turnovers from that lineup and fouls.

I'm would imagine that this lineup gets shut down about 3 games into the pac-10 schedule and Overton comes off the bench.

If you need to start a defensive stopper to start it doesn't sound food for Gaddy and Thomas in the back-court.

Still Washington is a top 4 team in the league no matter how you shake it out. Also, Brockman's workman like effort really made up for a lot of deficiencies this team had. Reminds me of the over talented undisciplined teams Arizona had a few years ago. Over loaded at some positions and severely lacking at others.

CalStateTempe
10-01-2009, 11:37 AM
WTH?

Um...football season is still going on.

wooha
10-01-2009, 03:39 PM
WTH?

Um...football season is still going on.

WTH?

Um...are you going to post this same thing in every basketball thread?

CalStateTempe
10-01-2009, 04:22 PM
nah just these two.

Its not even BB season yet, and we're in the midst of a potentially great football season, but once again CATS FB can't even get its fair shake.

Ziggiles
10-01-2009, 04:26 PM
nah just these two.

Its not even BB season yet, and we're in the midst of a potentially great football season, but once again CATS FB can't even get its fair shake.

So we can't be diversified?

How many more threads can be discussed regarding Scott and Foles?

smashmode
10-01-2009, 04:26 PM
nah just these two.

come on man, Its Arizona basketball.

wooha
10-01-2009, 04:55 PM
nah just these two.

This is also a basketball school--whether people want to accept that or not--and we're getting very near the start of one of the more exciting and compelling seasons of the last 5 years.

And I'm not sure what you mean by fair shake. Football posts have dominated in quantity lately. Look at the bottom of the first page of the football forum: Last post 1 day ago. The basketball forum? 1 week ago.

budd1e_lee
10-01-2009, 04:57 PM
come on man, Its Arizona basketball.

Not only that, but its a kcufing BYE WEEK. Basketball it is.

UW has somehow found a way to stay competitive with regards to the boards even with their smaller lineups over the last few years, and that can't all be attributed to the one big in Brockman. I think it has something to do with the fact that they crash the offensive and defensive glass with all 5 guys, and they come hard to the glass. It's always been amazing to me how much contact they get away with when crashing, way more than anybody else in the PAC-10, but I guess being the aggressor is usually given that extra bit of leniency.