PDA

View Full Version : Pac-10 Sleeper?

BeachCat97
09-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Might still be a bit too early to ask, but I do so nonetheless. Which Pac team, besides Cal, UW, and UCLA, has a legit shot to finish in the top three in conference and reach the NCAA tourney?

A lot of people are jumping on the OSU bandwagon. They were definitely a surprise last season, winning games against USC, Cal, and WSU. They finished the entire season at 18-18, which was a dramatic improvement. They return most of their key guys, and with the conference a little weaker this year, you'd think the Beavs could do even better.

Oregon should be better. They've got two very good young players in Porter and Dunigan, and they've also got 4 star wing Jamil Wilson coming in.

In spite of their problems, USC still returns two solid players in Dwight Lewis and Alex Stepheson. It'll be interesting to see what kind of impact Coach O'Neill makes. I'm guessing it might take a couple seasons for him to hit his stride. We all saw how things went during Year One of the short lived O'Neill era in Tucson; it wasn't pretty at times, but he still ended up getting his team to the tourney.

Then there's Arizona. I'm very curious to see how Wise handles being "the man." He clearly benefited from having two stars beside him, and it'll be interesting to see how he meshes with some of the freshmen. I like that we return three starters. Fogg was a very pleasant surprise last season, and I expect Coach Miller to hasten Kyle's development. I also expect Jamelle to be better. Not sure if he'll ever be all-conference, but we may not need him to be. We just need him to play smart defense, hit some open shots, and make smarter decisions. Most of all, I'm excited to see our freshmen. Hill, Momo, D-Will all look like solid players, and if we're going to extend The Streak, we'll need these guys to contribute.

smashmode
10-01-2009, 11:21 AM
I think Arizona will be a sleeper, but with the kind of talent there, I don't think that is that hard of a call.

CalStateTempe
10-01-2009, 11:36 AM
um....football season is still going on.

Flipper
10-01-2009, 01:39 PM

Some of us are multi-taskers.:)

BeachCat97
10-01-2009, 02:33 PM

Does Arizona have a football team? Not once in my four years in Tucson did I hear a word spoken about a football team. They do have a softball team, I know that. But football? You must be thinking of ASU.

Sorry, CST. We's a basketball school.

CalStateTempe
10-01-2009, 04:27 PM
Didn't have a football team during my years their either (99-04)

Didn't diminish the history or games from the Tomey, Cecil, Desert Swarm etc eras for me.

Itamicbomb
10-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Didn't have a football team during my years their either (99-04)

Didn't diminish the history or games from the Tomey, Cecil, Desert Swarm etc eras for me.

Posts on a basketball forum don't diminish the history of games from the Tomey, Cecil, Desert Swarm etc eras for you, either.

Zona_Soccer10
10-01-2009, 09:05 PM
Oregon State will definately shock some people. Robinson has them headed in the right direction.