PDA

View Full Version : Sad story out of UConn

Zero
10-19-2009, 12:07 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/18/connecticut.football.stabbing/index.html

(CNN) -- Cornerback Jasper Howard called his mom Saturday night after Connecticut beat Louisville, and he was given the game-winning ball. He was thrilled.

Just hours later, the phone rang again. This time it was UConn football coach Randy Edsall notifying her that her son had been stabbed. He was pronounced dead early Sunday.

"He was a good child, a wonderful, sweet, loving child," Joangela Howard told CNN affiliate WSVN. "I just hope whoever did it turns himself in. [Jasper] didn't deserve this."

Howard, a 20-year-old cornerback who started in every game for the team last season, was killed following a sponsored student dance on campus, authorities said. The junior from Miami, Florida, was a soon-to-be dad, said UConn football coach Randy Edsall.

During the dance at the university's student center, a fire alarm was pulled at about 12:26 a.m., campus police Maj. Ron Blicher told reporters. More than 300 people who were attending the dance left the building and spilled out into the street. A fight broke out between two groups of people, and Howard and an unidentified person were stabbed, police said.

ZonaCats8
10-19-2009, 12:24 AM
Thats awful, I saw this story on my phone while I was at BWW for the Panthers game and was shocked that nobody had posted anything about it on here. Just hard to comprehend why someone would stab someone at a college dance, I mean, I understand that fights happen, but why someone needed to take it to that level is incomprehensible.

I know that it doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things considering her son was just murdered. But somebody better make sure that ball finds it's way to his mother, DBs don't normally get game balls and I wouldn't be surprised if it is his first at the collegiate level. I'm sure it immediately became one of his favorite possessions considering he helped seal a big win on homecoming that night, he deserves to have that ball on his mothers mantel.

ZonaCats8
10-19-2009, 12:27 AM
Ugh, this story just got much much worse. Right after I posted that they ran the story on sportscenter. Said that he had played the best game of his career that night and that he was expecting a child soon, just heartbreaking hearing that.

Merkin
10-19-2009, 01:06 AM
:(

Team captain and punter Desi Cullen says his teammates will make sure that the child will have more than 100 uncles.

Zero
10-19-2009, 01:09 AM
Real sad.

EastCoastCat
10-19-2009, 10:55 AM
Thw whole state is in shock. Jaz was not only an outstanding player but a great kid as well in terms of leadership and mentoring other players.

Another stupid college fight gone bad. Somebody pulled a fire alarm at a dance and couple of fights ensued. They still haven't found the person (or persons) responsible.

The game ball will go to his unborn child.

BlueMikey
10-19-2009, 12:07 PM
They said on Sportscenter that he went to UConn because he grew up in a crime-ridden neighborhood, and UConn was a safe place to be.

Cats101
10-19-2009, 02:25 PM
That's really sad. I was watching his teammates speak about him on ESPN News last night and it was awful to watch.

scumdevils86
10-19-2009, 02:38 PM
Really an awful story. I wonder why he was involved in the fights?

Merkin
10-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Seems they caught the guy.

A Hartford man is being held in the stabbing death of star University of Connecticut football player Jasper Howard, police said Monday.

Johnny Hood, 21, is being held on $100,000 bond in connection with the early Sunday morning stabbing outside a school dance at the Storrs campus.

Cops said Hood was charged with interfering with an officer and breach of peace, but he has not been charged in the stabbing.

Witnesses identified him as being involved in the fight, and he gave police a fake name, cops said.

Hood was arraigned this morning in Rockville Superior Court. It's unclear if he is a student at the school.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2009/10/19/2009-10-19_jasper_howard_murder_suspect_arrested_in_fatal_ stabbing_of_uconn_football_star_.html#ixzz0UPOyYcT G

chandlerAZcat
10-19-2009, 02:47 PM
Just listening too it now on ESPN.
Difficult situation for all; very sad.