PDA

View Full Version : McCallum recruitment?

Flipper
10-22-2009, 12:02 PM
How do you guys see this ending, or how confident are you guys about getting him? I think it's down to UCLA and UofA, along with his dad's team.

UCLA needs a pg bad in this class (yea, Captain Obvious:)), and he just might be the must get target.

MrBug708
10-22-2009, 12:17 PM
With millers connections, how could he not land him?

LikesMikey
10-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Books not in on this one so it might be tough.

BeachCat97
10-22-2009, 12:58 PM
How do you guys see this ending, or how confident are you guys about getting him? I think it's down to UCLA and UofA, along with his dad's team.

UCLA needs a pg bad in this class (yea, Captain Obvious:)), and he just might be the must get target.

I don't think he's coming to UofA. I think that if he were, he'd have pulled the trigger by now.

I'd be surprised if he ends up somewhere other than UCLA.

MrBug708
10-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Ucla seems to be running third so....

azcat34
10-22-2009, 01:35 PM
He's probably has a lot of people back home saying to go to his dad's school. It is likely a very hard decision for him.

TheCat
10-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Play for his dad. His dad has always been his coach. He will stay close to home. I don't think he is U of A bound.

Chicat
10-22-2009, 01:51 PM
Play for his dad. His dad has always been his coach. He will stay close to home. I don't think he is U of A bound.

I actually get the opposite feeling. Not based on anything other than my gut, but I think he's going to be a Cat.

BeachCat97
10-22-2009, 02:00 PM
I actually get the opposite feeling. Not based on anything other than my gut, but I think he's going to be a Cat.

Damn, hope you're right. That would be an amazing recruiting class.

TucsonDon
10-22-2009, 02:11 PM
I think he's going to be a Cat.
I think you're right. Best combination of familiarity and early playing time. He's a very big recruit for both Arizona and UCLA, but the Bruins already have Jerime Anderson in place as the starter while UA's PG situation is a lot more up in the air. Apparently there's a long-running connection between Miller and the family as well, so that combo looks like pretty strong reasoning.

Then again, Howland's shown to be as good a developer of guards as anybody in the country since taking over at UCLA, and Miller just doesn't have that kind of work on his resume to this point. I'm sure McCallum is being sold on the Collison-Farmar playing relationship (or the Westbrook-Collison relationship, or the Holiday-Collison relationship) along with the academics/relationships-networking angle that UCLA provides so I'm sure the Bruins got a fighting chance but in the end I'd be a little surprised if he ends up there.

BeachCat97
10-22-2009, 02:43 PM
I think you're right. Best combination of familiarity and early playing time. He's a very big recruit for both Arizona and UCLA, but the Bruins already have Jerime Anderson in place as the starterwhile UA's PG situation is a lot more up in the air. Apparently there's a long-running connection between Miller and the family as well, so that combo looks like pretty strong reasoning.

Then again, Howland's shown to be as good a developer of guards as anybody in the country since taking over at UCLA, and Miller just doesn't have that kind of work on his resume to this point. I'm sure McCallum is being sold on the Collison-Farmar playing relationship (or the Westbrook-Collison relationship, or the Holiday-Collison relationship) along with the academics/relationships-networking angle that UCLA provides so I'm sure the Bruins got a fighting chance but in the end I'd be a little surprised if he ends up there.

Jerime Anderson as a starter? :lol2::lol2::lol2:

Flipper
10-22-2009, 03:21 PM
Jerime Anderson as a starter? :lol2::lol2::lol2:

That's right, like most Bruin guards of late, you guys didn't want him.:);)

BeachCat97
10-22-2009, 03:23 PM
That's right, like most Bruin guards of late, you guys didn't want him.:);)

The only Bruin guard we wanted and didn't get was Farmar.

Jerime Anderson is not a very good player.

MrBug708
10-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Neither was westbrook

BeachCat97
10-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Neither was westbrook

Be sure to let me know when Anderson starts jumping over his defenders and dunking on them, and when he starts leading the conference in assists.

Zero
10-22-2009, 03:35 PM
We will see after November 1st.

Flipper
10-22-2009, 06:01 PM
The only Bruin guard we wanted and didn't get was Farmar.

Jerime Anderson is not a very good player.

Hmmm, I didn't know you guys didn't recruit Jrue Holiday and Malcolm Lee.:)

I knew you guys didn't show Collison any love.;)

97cats
10-22-2009, 06:04 PM

this

97cats
10-22-2009, 06:04 PM
I think you're right. Best combination of familiarity and early playing time. He's a very big recruit for both Arizona and UCLA, but the Bruins already have Jerime Anderson in place as the starter while UA's PG situation is a lot more up in the air. Apparently there's a long-running connection between Miller and the family as well, so that combo looks like pretty strong reasoning.

this too.

DCCat
10-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Me, too. From the time he took his unofficial visit to UA, I've been counting him in our column based on gut feel, playing time, and coaching relationships. I think we might also be the one school that his dad might be inclined to endorse even over his own because of the long-standing relationships he and his son have had with the coaches. His official visit will just cement the deal. He'll probably take his official to UF out of courtesy and will shortly after commit to us. Just my opinion, of course.

BeachCat97
10-22-2009, 07:02 PM
Hmmm, I didn't know you guys didn't recruit Jrue Holiday and Malcolm Lee.:)

I knew you guys didn't show Collison any love.;)

Arizona never offered a scholarship to JH or ML. But I know it brightens your day to think so, Flip, so carry on with your delusion.

And besides, Kyle Fogg was a better player last year than JH. Starting to wonder if Howland will ever figure out how to maximize, rather than inhibit, his players' capabilities. The only two guys he's coached that actually seemed to improve are Hollins and Mata.

MrBug708
10-22-2009, 07:24 PM
Haha

Flipper
10-22-2009, 07:42 PM
Arizona never offered a scholarship to JH or ML. But I know it brightens your day to think so, Flip, so carry on with your delusion.

And besides, Kyle Fogg was a better player last year than JH. Starting to wonder if Howland will ever figure out how to maximize, rather than inhibit, his players' capabilities. The only two guys he's coached that actually seemed to improve are Hollins and Mata.

We agree.

Signed,

Darren Collison
Russell Westbrook
Luc Richard MBah ah Moute
Jordan Farmar
Arron Afflalo
and so forth, and so on:);)

BeachCat97
10-22-2009, 08:01 PM
We agree.

Signed,

Darren Collison
Russell Westbrook
Luc Richard MBah ah Moute
Jordan Farmar
Arron Afflalo
and so forth, and so on:);)

These guys were all future pros any way you cut it. It wouldn't have mattered if they were coached by Howland or some guy they pulled off the street. Guys blessed with enough natural ability to play in the NBA will get there one way or another.

Much more impressive than a list of former Bruins playing in the NBA, is a list of guys who *didn't* make the pros but showed dramatic improvement while playing in college. This is why I consider Mata Howland's greatest coaching success. That guy could barely walk straight when he arrived in Westwood, but between years one and four, his improvement was remarkable.

Also, you are aware, aren't you, Flip, of how strongly RW and JH disliked Howland's system? Why do you think they left Westwood so quickly? I've even heard Kevin Love on the local radio station out here in L.A. saying he felt limited and frustrated by Howland's system. The defense-first approach will only get you so far, Flip, as you've seen in three different FFs. He'll always do well at UCLA, given that the program recruits itself, but I don't expect him to ever cut down the nets on a Monday. He needs to trust his players more and loosen that vice grip of his.

MrBug708
10-22-2009, 08:40 PM
Usually people go to college to make money. Look at someone like Chase? He went to Arizona to make a ton of money and had he come out as a Frosh, he would be a whole lot richer then he would have now. You always run that risk.

Darn that Russell Westbrook for wanting to be a Top 5 pick! Darn him!

BeachCat97
10-22-2009, 08:58 PM
Usually people go to college to make money. Look at someone like Chase? He went to Arizona to make a ton of money and had he come out as a Frosh, he would be a whole lot richer then he would have now. You always run that risk.

Darn that Russell Westbrook for wanting to be a Top 5 pick! Darn him!

Why would Chase be richer if he'd come out after his freshman year? He'd have gone through the *same* drills and the *same* vetting process that he did this past spring/summer, and the NBA scouts would've noticed the *same* things about his game they did this year. Chase was never going to be a lottery pick.

RW, on the other hand, is a freakish athlete who was destined to be a high pick. Natural talent like that just doesn't come along very often. Staying at UCLA for his sophomore season just postponed the inevitable.

MrBug708
10-22-2009, 09:00 PM
Nobody here thought Westy was a lottery pick AFTER his Sophmore year, much less his freshman year

BeachCat97
10-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Nobody here thought Westy was a lottery pick AFTER his Sophmore year, much less his freshman year

If by "nobody here" you mean Bruin fans, then you're right: they're a staggeringly ignorant lot.

The only opinions that matter are those of NBA scouts, which is why RW was a lotto pick and Chase wasn't.

Flipper
10-23-2009, 02:25 AM
If by "nobody here" you mean Bruin fans, then you're right: they're a staggeringly ignorant lot.

The only opinions that matter are those of NBA scouts, which is why RW was a lotto pick and Chase wasn't.

Dude, just stop. Fact remained, Chase was the stud recruit, and Westbrook was just an afterthought in that '06 class.

RW averaged what, 8-9 minutes as a frosh? The jump from frosh to soph was remarkable, which catapulted his draft prospects to where it ended up. Yeah, he's a freakish athlete, but one who's skills and athleticism shone through under Howland.

Nobody in the country saw RW coming. Hell, most laughed at Howland for picking him up in the late signing period of his senior year. We can thank Jordan Farmar's early departure for his slot.

You're the staggeringly ignorant tool.:);)

Reydituto
10-23-2009, 02:45 AM
You're the staggeringly ignorant tool.:);)

Yeah ... you and BC97 can keep going back and forth for all I care, but no amount of :);):);) can obfuscate the fact that you're an absolute phony on this board. To say what you said above to any poster - making it personal - is completely obnoxious, yet because you post a bunch of smileys right after we're all supposed to laugh it off? Child please. If that was the case, I could insult anyone I wanted here and make it OK with emoticons. All that really does is flip the forehanded jab to a backhanded swipe (pun intended - Flipper is such an appropriate username). Other posters have seen through your act, and a few even called you on it, but somehow many here tolerate or even like you because of your clever avatar and your use of smileys after every caustic thing you say.

I see otherwise. You're a snide rival poster who thinly disguises his contempt for this fanbase - whose board you spend an inordinate amount of time on - by spewing so many backhanded insults Jimmy Connors would be proud. :wink2::p:D:tongue:

ZonaCats8
10-23-2009, 05:59 AM
The fact that UCLA has been focusing on other PG recruits since RM's visit, and that he hasn't committed makes me think they are 3rd in this race. I also think in the end, both RM and his dad will think that it's better for him to go to a major program to go up against the best competition possible. Add in the relationship with their family and our coaching staff, and I really feel good about landing him.

BeachCat97
10-23-2009, 10:07 AM
Has anyone actually seen RM play? How good is this guy? I know he must be pretty decent if all these top level programs are recruiting him. But then again, a lot of schools recruited Jrue Holiday too, and he was a huge disappointment as a college player.

smashmode
10-23-2009, 10:21 AM
:banana:

Ziggiles
10-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Has anyone actually seen RM play? How good is this guy? I know he must be pretty decent if all these top level programs are recruiting him. But then again, a lot of schools recruited Jrue Holiday too, and he was a huge disappointment as a college player.

Jrue Holiday was out of position, but he doesn't seem to have that kill mentality. Everything is so easy to him that looks like he is just disinterested. But less not kid ourselves, rankings which most of this argument is based on, 5 star vs. 3 star etc., is nonsense. A guy might be a 5 star for every reason outside of basketball skills, mainly "look at his potential", but watching with objective eyes you realize that the transition won't be so kind.

For example, It was obvious that Jamelle Horne was going to have issues when he had problems shooting coming into his freshman year. I see the same issue with Solomon Hill this year, however, S. Hill is solid with the ball in his hands so he won't be a liability offensively.

As for all the aforementioned UCLA recruits, Westbrook turned himself into a big time pro, as did Collison, but it has more to do with the personality types then coaching. However, they were both unique and under rated coming into college. And if they didn't have real potential they would have never been offered by UCLA in the first place.

Flipper
10-23-2009, 11:17 AM
Jrue Holiday was out of position, but he doesn't seem to have that kill mentality. Everything is so easy to him that looks like he is just disinterested. But less not kid ourselves, rankings which most of this argument is based on, 5 star vs. 3 star etc., is nonsense. A guy might be a 5 star for every reason outside of basketball skills, mainly "look at his potential", but watching with objective eyes you realize that the transition won't be so kind.

For example, It was obvious that Jamelle Horne was going to have issues when he had problems shooting coming into his freshman year. I see the same issue with Solomon Hill this year, however, S. Hill is solid with the ball in his hands so he won't be a liability offensively.

As for all the aforementioned UCLA recruits, Westbrook turned himself into a big time pro, as did Collison, but it has more to do with the personality types then coaching. However, they were both unique and under rated coming into college. And if they didn't have real potential they would have never been offered by UCLA in the first place.

Moute
Collison
Westbrook
Hollins
etc

Howland has to get some credit for turning out NBA players who were'nt top flight recruits. Farmar, Afflalo, Love and Holiday were all top recruits, and would have ended up in the NBA no matter where they went to school.

Interesting times for recruits. UCLA's churned out a bunch of guards, but have been hurt also by the early departures of Farmar, Westbrook and definitely Holiday.

McCallum is almost a must get for the Bruins.

MrBug708
10-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Love and Holiday would have been pros, but Farmar and Afflalo had zero chance to leave early for the NBA. They could have easily flopped at UCLA. Cedric Bozeman could have left after HS but choose to stay. Perhaps had he gone to another school, we could have been talking about this same argument on how he was a future pro no matter where he went to school. Afflalo and Farmar were no locks to be NBA first round picks. 5 star talent, but not a lock

azcat34
10-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Love and Holiday would have been pros, but Farmar and Afflalo had zero chance to leave early for the NBA. They could have easily flopped at UCLA. Cedric Bozeman could have left after HS but choose to stay. Perhaps had he gone to another school, we could have been talking about this same argument on how he was a future pro no matter where he went to school. Afflalo and Farmar were no locks to be NBA first round picks. 5 star talent, but not a lock

Dude you are so wrong about Afflalo, where is your head?

He was the 26th best prospect in his class and 6th best SG according to Rivals! No chance to leave early? You have a nice revisionist history going on. When you are a 5 star recruit, you have a very good chance to make the NBA.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/stjohns/basketball/recruiting/player-Arron-Afflalo-16932

Please, you and BeachCat need to stop posting garbage.

Daryl Zero
10-23-2009, 12:25 PM
Howland has to get some credit for turning out NBA players who were'nt top flight recruits. Farmar, Afflalo, Love and Holiday were all top recruits, and would have ended up in the NBA no matter where they went to school.

Howland gets a lot of credit (from me anyhow) for getting his players (which include many top recruits) to buy into his Big East style of play on the West coast.

BeachCat97
10-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Two things about Howland:

1. His players get to the NBA *in spite of* not *because of* him.

2. He'll never win a NC

smashmode
10-23-2009, 01:10 PM
Two things about Howland:

1. His players get to the NBA *in spite of* not *because of* him.

2. He'll never win a NC

this should be fun.

MikeyMike
10-23-2009, 01:24 PM
RW, on the other hand, is a freakish athlete who was destined to be a high pick. Natural talent like that just doesn't come along very often. Staying at UCLA for his sophomore season just postponed the inevitable.

destined from when? c'mon buddy, you're being blinded a bit by your ucla hatred.

no one thought RW would be a lottery pick until the very end of his UCLA career. if you thought he was destined for the nba coming out of high school, then you were the only person who thought that. even his biggest fan, greg hicks, wasn't as absolutely sure he was a future pro.

westbrook was a high pick not only because of his high ceiling, but also because of his defensive skills. did you think the defensive skills were self taught? i mean, ben howland had nothing to do with those defensive skills, right?

i agree that young players probably wouldn't like playing for ben howland, because he stresses defense and fundamentals, and because he slows the game down to drive those points home. but your argument that howland doesn't improve the players in his program is just plain haterade.

bruinfanatic432
10-23-2009, 02:59 PM

He was the 26th best prospect in his class and 6th best SG according to Rivals! No chance to leave early? You have a nice revisionist history going on. When you are a 5 star recruit, you have a very good chance to make the NBA.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/stjohns/basketball/recruiting/player-Arron-Afflalo-16932

Actually, no, Arron wasnt considered an early entry candidate as a high school player. Everyone knew about his tenacity and ability, but most thought he wasnt athletic enough to make the jump to the NBA. The consensus was that he would be an impact college guy, but not the All-American he became. Really, i remember a ton of national analysts after the McDonalds game talking about how overrated Arron was because of his lack of athleticism and how he didnt fit in with the rest of the recruits at the game. Arron deserves the bulk of the credit because of how hard he worked, but you better believe that Howland's defensive teachings had a huge impact on his career. Really, defense is the reason why Arron even has a place in the league and will continue to pay in the league. He didnt come into school with this kind of defensive acumen, and he wouldn't have risen to the defensive level he reached at many other places.

BeachCat97
10-23-2009, 03:05 PM
Actually, no, Arron wasnt considered an early entry candidate as a high school player. Everyone knew about his tenacity and ability, but most thought he wasnt athletic enough to make the jump to the NBA. The consensus was that he would be an impact college guy, but not the All-American he became. Really, i remember a ton of national analysts after the McDonalds game talking about how overrated Arron was because of his lack of athleticism and how he didnt fit in with the rest of the recruits at the game. Arron deserves the bulk of the credit because of how hard he worked, but you better believe that Howland's defensive teachings had a huge impact on his career. Really, defense is the reason why Arron even has a place in the league and will continue to pay in the league. He didnt come into school with this kind of defensive acumen, and he wouldn't have risen to the defensive level he reached at many other places.

Howland's effect on AA's game was minimal at best, counterproductive at worst. If Howland had helped AA develop more offensively, his job security in the NBA would be much more stable. Defense is about 70% effort, 30% smarts. So if you wanna give BH credit for developing that 30%, go for it. But AA is blessed with a high basketball IQ and good defensive instincts; these skills weren't given to him by Howland.

MikeyMike
10-23-2009, 03:12 PM
First of all, pretty sure it's "Aaron," not "Arron." You'd think UCLA fans could spell their own players' names.

actually, we're more than pretty sure it is arron.

BeachCat97
10-23-2009, 03:16 PM
actually, we're more than pretty sure it is arron.

My bad. Forgot his folks are illiterate.

MrBug708
10-23-2009, 03:24 PM

Mr and Mrs Bayless think you are a racist

MrBug708
10-23-2009, 03:29 PM

I never said he wouldn't make the nba, I said he wasn't going to the nba out of high school. And he didn't have a shot to leave after high school

azlax04
10-23-2009, 03:32 PM
this should be fun.

No it's not.

The only thing worse than threads about UofA basketball on a UofA basketball board invariably degenerating into threads about UCLA basketball are the myopic UofA homers that refuse to even tip the lids of their caps in the general direction of Howland.

I dislike UCLA as a rival of Arizona just as much, if not more than the next Arizona fan.

But that doesn't mean I can't give credit where it's due.

UCLA is a good program. Howland is a good coach. UCLA pulls good players. Some of those players are developed into NBA material.

I can't wait for the next thread this happens in.

Christ.

Flipper
10-23-2009, 03:49 PM

Huh?

ma9573
10-23-2009, 03:55 PM
No it's not.

The only thing worse than threads about UofA basketball on a UofA basketball board invariably degenerating into threads about UCLA basketball are the myopic UofA homers that refuse to even tip the lids of their caps in the general direction of Howland.

I dislike UCLA as a rival of Arizona just as much, if not more than the next Arizona fan.

But that doesn't mean I can't give credit where it's due.

UCLA is a good program. Howland is a good coach. UCLA pulls good players. Some of those players are developed into NBA material.

Christ.

I completely agree with you. As far as I am concerned:

3 Final Fours in a row is ****ing awesome and to look at it as anything else is complete ignorance.

Russell Westbrook is UCLA's Gilbert Arenas. An under the radar player that learned a lot from his coach and at the same time improved via his own work ethic. Howland deserves as much credit for him as AZ fans give to Lute for Gilbert turning into a star.

UCLA has kicked our ass turning out NBA talent recently during our down time of the last 4 out of 5 years. Just the way we kicked ass when Lavin was coaching them. Now that we have Miller I think things will even out, but Howland has to get some credit.

I don't like UCLA and especially dislike their style of play, but for 3 years they carried the Pac 10 flag while AZ and Stanford fell back to the pack. Root against them, hate them, but for crying out loud you have to respect them. Because in a couple years we are going to hopefully have some final fours and pac 10 titles and I will sure as hell want people to respect that. Showing respect will also hopefully prevent every thread here that mentions UCLA from turning into a stupid pissing match.

As for the topic of the thread, I definitely get the feeling UCLA and UofA are behind Detroit. The only reason I feel this way is because he has visited both schools already and hasn't committed. Florida doesn't seem to be getting much of a chance, but there has to be something he is interested in to visit there...

smashmode
10-23-2009, 04:23 PM

Christ.

Hell basketball season hasn't even started yet lol :D

I can't wait for the UW threads about basketball to start (IE. Look what Basnight wrote!, UW's OOC sucks, Romar plays thug ball, I Still hate Nate Robinson, etc etc etc)

wooha
10-23-2009, 05:49 PM
I Still hate Nate Robinson

It's true, I do!

Phylek
10-23-2009, 09:33 PM

I wish I could trust your gut, but you gut has failed us on recruits before. Specifically, the big center you said we would be getting from Lirpa Sloof a few years back.

http://forum.goazcats.com/showthread.php?t=29797&highlight=lirpa+sloof

11Banners
10-23-2009, 10:20 PM
I completely agree with you. As far as I am concerned:

3 Final Fours in a row is ****ing awesome and to look at it as anything else is complete ignorance.

Russell Westbrook is UCLA's Gilbert Arenas. An under the radar player that learned a lot from his coach and at the same time improved via his own work ethic. Howland deserves as much credit for him as AZ fans give to Lute for Gilbert turning into a star.

UCLA has kicked our ass turning out NBA talent recently during our down time of the last 4 out of 5 years. Just the way we kicked ass when Lavin was coaching them. Now that we have Miller I think things will even out, but Howland has to get some credit.

I don't like UCLA and especially dislike their style of play, but for 3 years they carried the Pac 10 flag while AZ and Stanford fell back to the pack. Root against them, hate them, but for crying out loud you have to respect them. Because in a couple years we are going to hopefully have some final fours and pac 10 titles and I will sure as hell want people to respect that. Showing respect will also hopefully prevent every thread here that mentions UCLA from turning into a stupid pissing match.

As for the topic of the thread, I definitely get the feeling UCLA and UofA are behind Detroit. The only reason I feel this way is because he has visited both schools already and hasn't committed. Florida doesn't seem to be getting much of a chance, but there has to be something he is interested in to visit there...

I think he's going to UCLA or Arizona.

In terms of the whole NBA arguments, in the end it really doesn't matter. UCLA had more NBA players last year on its roster than Michigan State but MSU ended up playing for the national title game. I'll take Michigan State's success and cohesiveness last year over UCLA's NBA bunch last season. I hope our guys can develop and eventually make it into the league to achieve their ultimate goal, but my main worry is that they win games in college - not eventually earn a paycheck.

Jason Scheer
10-23-2009, 11:13 PM
Lot of stupid in here

JMarkJohns
10-23-2009, 11:17 PM
Westbrook is gonna be one hell of a player.

DeezleWildcats
10-23-2009, 11:18 PM
this thread sucks

Friedrice
10-23-2009, 11:59 PM
Every pre-season basketball thread turns into a contest between UCLA & UA Fans.

...ours is bigger.

EastCoastCat
10-24-2009, 11:25 AM
I must admit UA/UCLA pissing match discussions are better than "who will are next coach be" threads...

CBCat
10-24-2009, 11:26 AM
UA/UCLA rivalry bout to get intense, on the basketball court that is.

DeezleWildcats
10-24-2009, 12:08 PM
The thing is, these UCLA fans on here take the bait every single time, no matter how ridiculous the statement is.

smashmode
10-24-2009, 01:13 PM
Westbrook is gonna be one hell of a player.

He was suppose to be Seattle's player damnit.

MrBug708
10-24-2009, 02:10 PM
The thing is, these UCLA fans on here take the bait every single time, no matter how ridiculous the statement is.

Haha

MrBug708
10-24-2009, 02:12 PM
He was suppose to be Seattle's player damnit.

Smashie...what's up with josh smith? Seems like he is looking for a reason to not come to ucla

BeachCat97
10-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Smashie...what's up with josh smith? Seems like he is looking for a reason to not come to ucla

I'll give him one: Howland

smashmode
10-24-2009, 04:04 PM

Yeah our guy like every other weekend is saying that he was suppose to commit to UCLA that weekend etc etc.

ANd it stills dragging out.

I mean the guy was suppose to have commit back in the summer, then earlier this fall, I honestly don't know. I'm wondering if he is just having a hard time leaving home.

I'm hopeful of course, the old saying 'the longer it takes', the better it is for the home squad.

But who really knows, every week we get articles saying Smith is UCLA's to lose etc etc. So can all those people be wrong? I guess we will see.

smashmode
10-24-2009, 04:05 PM
although smith coming to seattle pretty much destroys our chance with terence jones.

MrBug708
10-24-2009, 05:01 PM
I think seth davis just called smith to ucla this week

BeachCat97
10-24-2009, 09:24 PM

He's not as good as Kevin Love, and you only get him for one year. Big freaking deal. Howland should be going after guys that might actually stick around.

smashmode
10-26-2009, 10:36 AM

Yup saw that (saw a link about this last week though?) Smith is visiting UW this weekend. and hopes to make a decision soon after that.

Flipper
10-26-2009, 02:22 PM
Yup saw that (saw a link about this last week though?) Smith is visiting UW this weekend. and hopes to make a decision soon after that.

I hope this Smith ends soon, either way.

We need a pg bad, and losing Smith is much easier to take, since we have a bunch of young bigs. Plus, he's got plans of being in college for ONLY 1 year.

I'm still saying that McCallum is the must get recruit.

smashmode
10-26-2009, 04:23 PM
I hope this Smith ends soon, either way.

We need a pg bad, and losing Smith is much easier to take, since we have a bunch of young bigs. Plus, he's got plans of being in college for ONLY 1 year.

I'm still saying that McCallum is the must get recruit.

Yeah you got a bunch of bigs down there. If he wants to maximize his playing time, He would play as many minutes he could up in seattle (Just because we do not have the amount of talented bigs that UCLA has)

Flipper
11-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Any news from the official visit this past week-end?

Zero
11-02-2009, 02:35 PM
I think it was still going on last night, hopefully good news for us coming soon.

Merkin
11-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Didn't see anything posted on any player's facebook page, but that could just be due to NCAA rules.

MrBug708
11-02-2009, 03:16 PM
If he makes it out of Tuscon without verballing, I would assume that bodes well for UCLA?

Reydituto
11-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Or Detroit ... or UA ... this will come down to the wire ... he also visits Florida next week ...

smashmode
11-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Any news from the official visit this past week-end?

woops lol

Taylor
11-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Hell basketball season hasn't even started yet lol :D

I can't wait for the UW threads about basketball to start (IE. Look what Basnight wrote!, UW's OOC sucks, Romar plays thug ball, I Still hate Nate Robinson, etc etc etc)

I still Hate Nate. ;)

Taylor
11-02-2009, 04:46 PM
If he makes it out of Tuscon without verballing, I would assume that bodes well for UCLA?

You would.

wooha
11-02-2009, 05:10 PM
I bet it went better than Negedu's visit.

DeezleWildcats
11-02-2009, 05:14 PM

Whats Tuscon?

Flipper
11-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Whats Tuscon?

I think it's in the coast of Italy. LOL.

MrBug708
11-02-2009, 10:14 PM
Whats Tuscon?

Monitoring the internet for spelling mistakes must be a thankless job so I salute you!

DeezleWildcats
11-02-2009, 10:18 PM
Monitoring the internet for spelling mistakes must be a thankless job so I salute you!

One of the more common ones that really bugs me. (insert snarky smiley here);)

ZONACAT
11-02-2009, 11:04 PM
Detroit lock.