Go Back   GOAZCATS.com Message Board > Arizona Wildcat Football > Arizona Football: Hard Edge

Arizona Football: Hard Edge This forum is for discussion on Arizona Football. The V.I.P. Football Forum is the place to be for insider info on UA football and recruiting, including all breaking news.

Old 12-02-2009   #16
Winger
GOAZCATS.com Legend

Winger Beyond Perfect ReputationWinger Beyond Perfect ReputationWinger Beyond Perfect ReputationWinger Beyond Perfect ReputationWinger Beyond Perfect ReputationWinger Beyond Perfect ReputationWinger Beyond Perfect ReputationWinger Beyond Perfect ReputationWinger Beyond Perfect ReputationWinger Beyond Perfect ReputationWinger Beyond Perfect Reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
I'm talking about Mike Stoops as your head coach ? I think he is a great coach and hated to see him leave my Sooners team..
How do you feel about Bob leaving?

Courtesy of The Real Dill .....

From random poster on Irish Sports Daily:

I can report to you today that Bob Stoops has not only agreed in principal to a deal but has actually signed the contract earlier today. I suspect a press conference will be called for Friday but it depends on how Stoops wants to approach OU.

This is not from a 'source'- I am the source. My brother works at the agency that has worked behind the scene since shortly after the Pitt game. No academic restrictions were lifted- insulting for anyone to raise that issue. The terms of the contract are straightforward and will not be discussed openly and will not be released publicly. I can tell you the issue centered about guaranteed money which is something we were concerned with but we have access to this required money and at this stage we will not be left short of our goals because of money- that was a fault of Mr. Kevin White.

Stoops desire to come to Notre Dame is an effort to build back ND like he did at OU. The talent is there and Stoops sees his legacy in more of restoring luster than maintaining programs. Stoops has been the ONLY target ND has reached out to. Brian Kelly, etc have never gotten a call from the agency or ND. From what I was told- Meyer had his chance back in 2005 and that ship has sailed. Stoops reportedly said "Bring on USC" when he signed the deal.

ps- I dont need more friends or 'phantom supporters' from a message board. I report this to you today because I have the information and ND could use a shot of good old fashion 'good news'. I signed up today to provide this information and after the press conference on (I think Friday- could be Saturday) I will leave this site.
Winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #17
Merkin
GOAZCATS.com Immortal

Location: Sitting on a park bench, eyeing college girls with bad intent
Merkin Beyond Perfect ReputationMerkin Beyond Perfect ReputationMerkin Beyond Perfect ReputationMerkin Beyond Perfect ReputationMerkin Beyond Perfect ReputationMerkin Beyond Perfect ReputationMerkin Beyond Perfect ReputationMerkin Beyond Perfect ReputationMerkin Beyond Perfect ReputationMerkin Beyond Perfect ReputationMerkin Beyond Perfect Reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTFC View Post
I'd like to see us win more close games but considering our tradition, facilities, and budget I don't think we can honestly expect too much more than what Stoops is giving us.
Why not? Look what Mike Price did at WSU. Two Rose Bowls, and quite a few NFL QBs. And Arizona > WSU in all regards.

And yes, I wanted Price to come to Arizona, even if he is likes the ho's. Not saying it was the right move now, but back then he seemed like a good choice. If 'Bama thought he was the man why shouldn't Arizona snag him?
Merkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #18
DeezleWildcats
GOAZCATS.com Hall of Famer

DeezleWildcats Perfect ReputationDeezleWildcats Perfect ReputationDeezleWildcats Perfect ReputationDeezleWildcats Perfect ReputationDeezleWildcats Perfect ReputationDeezleWildcats Perfect ReputationDeezleWildcats Perfect ReputationDeezleWildcats Perfect ReputationDeezleWildcats Perfect ReputationDeezleWildcats Perfect ReputationDeezleWildcats Perfect Reputation
ChiCat, the reason I said "as is" is because UA does not have (as MTFC wrote) the tradition, facilities, and budget that other big-time football programs have. Can that change? Absolutely. Will it change? Who knows, I'm sure there are a bunch of other BCS conference schools asking the same thing (Look at Louisville - they had a lot of success, there was a coaching change, and now they are in the midst of an expensive stadium expansion for a baaad football program).

UA has never been to a Rose Bowl and you think Stoops would run around telling everyone that he wants to win a national championship? Did Lute talk National title when UA first brought him to Tucson in the 80s? I'm talking realistic goals, not pie in the sky stuff.

Of course as UA fans we want the best from our athletic teams. I'm just saying that sometimes people here get caught up in the hype and fail to realize there is a reason why UA has never been to the Rose Bowl. It can be changed, and things like the Stadium expansion are a start.
DeezleWildcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #19
bcrisp
GOAZCATS.com All-American

bcrisp Perfect Reputationbcrisp Perfect Reputationbcrisp Perfect Reputationbcrisp Perfect Reputationbcrisp Perfect Reputationbcrisp Perfect Reputationbcrisp Perfect Reputationbcrisp Perfect Reputationbcrisp Perfect Reputationbcrisp Perfect Reputationbcrisp Perfect Reputation
Mike is awesome. Every year since he's been here (except for 2006 I think) we have steadily improved.
Old 12-02-2009   #20
BAREDOWN
GOAZCATS.com Freshman of the Year

BAREDOWN Perfect ReputationBAREDOWN Perfect ReputationBAREDOWN Perfect ReputationBAREDOWN Perfect ReputationBAREDOWN Perfect ReputationBAREDOWN Perfect ReputationBAREDOWN Perfect ReputationBAREDOWN Perfect ReputationBAREDOWN Perfect ReputationBAREDOWN Perfect ReputationBAREDOWN Perfect Reputation
I like Mike alot, and have since he came here 6 years ago. He has done what was expected of him, and has this program going in the right direction. It may have taken a little longer than most would like, but it has happened. I dont however think that he has reached his ceiling as a head coach either. Our last 9 losses were by a combined 52 points. That is ridiculous! We have been in every single game that we have taken the field in, and had many opportunities to win the ones that were lost. Now, does he need to learn how to finish. YES. But it takes time.
I have been a Cardinal season ticket holder for years, and it is exactly the same situation. The Cards used to be competitive, but would give up points at the end and lose (yes I know, Tennessee last weekend), but they also have the mentality to win those close games as well now. I think that the CATS are in the same boat.
The first thing Stoops had to do was teach these kids HOW to win. He has done that. The next thing he needs to do is win the close ones, and win when we dont bring our A game. We are getting closer to the 2 of those. Look at Stanford and OSU this year, as well as UCLA and the scum. In the past, we probably lose 2 of those games.
Finally, it is a nice feeling to finally have solid "PAC 10 Talent Depth" at every position. It has been awhile, and his recruiting efforts are paying off big time. Mike has us ready to play with anyone in the conference.
BAREDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #21
Chicat
FemCat's Love Slave

Chicat Beyond Perfect ReputationChicat Beyond Perfect ReputationChicat Beyond Perfect ReputationChicat Beyond Perfect ReputationChicat Beyond Perfect ReputationChicat Beyond Perfect ReputationChicat Beyond Perfect ReputationChicat Beyond Perfect ReputationChicat Beyond Perfect ReputationChicat Beyond Perfect ReputationChicat Beyond Perfect Reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezleWildcats View Post
ChiCat, the reason I said "as is" is because UA does not have (as MTFC wrote) the tradition, facilities, and budget that other big-time football programs have. Can that change? Absolutely. Will it change?
Tradition doesn't come with mediocrity, and increased quality of facilities and an increase in the budget doesn't come with mediocre results either.

Quote:
UA has never been to a Rose Bowl and you think Stoops would run around telling everyone that he wants to win a national championship? Did Lute talk National title when UA first brought him to Tucson in the 80s? I'm talking realistic goals, not pie in the sky stuff.
Oh, has Mike been running around telling everyone that he wants to finish 5th in the Pac? Must have missed that...

Quote:
Of course as UA fans we want the best from our athletic teams. I'm just saying that sometimes people here get caught up in the hype and fail to realize there is a reason why UA has never been to the Rose Bowl. It can be changed, and things like the Stadium expansion are a start.
What's the reason we've never been to the Rose Bowl? And how and why does that reason mean that we'll never go or shouldn't shoot for it every year?

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to look to the past mediocrity of Arizona football and be happy with future mediocrity. Lute came to a school that had very little success on the national stage and turned it into a national title contender. Why can't Stoops do the same thing? Because we never were one before? That didn't stop Lute, nor should it stop Stoops.
Chicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #22
Winger
GOAZCATS.com Legend

Winger Beyond Perfect ReputationWinger Beyond Perfect ReputationWinger Beyond Perfect ReputationWinger Beyond Perfect ReputationWinger Beyond Perfect ReputationWinger Beyond Perfect ReputationWinger Beyond Perfect ReputationWinger Beyond Perfect ReputationWinger Beyond Perfect ReputationWinger Beyond Perfect ReputationWinger Beyond Perfect Reputation
Quote:
UA has never been to a Rose Bowl and you think Stoops would run around telling everyone that he wants to win a national championship?
Offered just as an FYI.

One of the things that characterizes Mike, is his talking of "championships", specifically winning them at Arizona.

To my opinion, he does it slightly less often that when he first arrived, and he doesn't specify "National" vs "Pac 10", but he talks of winning "championships" at Arizona all the freaking time.
Winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #23
Reydituto
GOAZCATS.com Legend

Reydituto Beyond Perfect ReputationReydituto Beyond Perfect ReputationReydituto Beyond Perfect ReputationReydituto Beyond Perfect ReputationReydituto Beyond Perfect ReputationReydituto Beyond Perfect ReputationReydituto Beyond Perfect ReputationReydituto Beyond Perfect ReputationReydituto Beyond Perfect ReputationReydituto Beyond Perfect ReputationReydituto Beyond Perfect Reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkin View Post
Why not? Look what Mike Price did at WSU. Two Rose Bowls, and quite a few NFL QBs. And Arizona > WSU in all regards.

And yes, I wanted Price to come to Arizona, even if he is likes the ho's. Not saying it was the right move now, but back then he seemed like a good choice. If 'Bama thought he was the man why shouldn't Arizona snag him?
A-ha! That's why you're still so critical of Stoops, you wanted Price and STILL do. Wow. Cat's outta the bag, toothpaste out of the tube, bells rung, flags up flagpoles and all that jazz ...

But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up! ... Sweet Sassy Molassy, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
Reydituto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #24
BigGeorge83
GOAZCATS.com Sixth Man

BigGeorge83 Perfect ReputationBigGeorge83 Perfect ReputationBigGeorge83 Perfect ReputationBigGeorge83 Perfect ReputationBigGeorge83 Perfect ReputationBigGeorge83 Perfect ReputationBigGeorge83 Perfect ReputationBigGeorge83 Perfect ReputationBigGeorge83 Perfect ReputationBigGeorge83 Perfect ReputationBigGeorge83 Perfect Reputation
Quote:

Pay him half and give him VIP cards to TD's..... LMAO!
BigGeorge83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #25
Merkin
GOAZCATS.com Immortal

Location: Sitting on a park bench, eyeing college girls with bad intent
Merkin Beyond Perfect ReputationMerkin Beyond Perfect ReputationMerkin Beyond Perfect ReputationMerkin Beyond Perfect ReputationMerkin Beyond Perfect ReputationMerkin Beyond Perfect ReputationMerkin Beyond Perfect ReputationMerkin Beyond Perfect ReputationMerkin Beyond Perfect ReputationMerkin Beyond Perfect ReputationMerkin Beyond Perfect Reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reydituto View Post
A-ha! That's why you're still so critical of Stoops, you wanted Price and STILL do. Wow. Cat's outta the bag, toothpaste out of the tube, bells rung, flags up flagpoles and all that jazz ...

That's why I said "wantED"! Sure don't want him now. 4 straight losing seasons after 2 8-4 bowl seasons, no thanks!
Merkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #26
Reydituto
GOAZCATS.com Legend

Reydituto Beyond Perfect ReputationReydituto Beyond Perfect ReputationReydituto Beyond Perfect ReputationReydituto Beyond Perfect ReputationReydituto Beyond Perfect ReputationReydituto Beyond Perfect ReputationReydituto Beyond Perfect ReputationReydituto Beyond Perfect ReputationReydituto Beyond Perfect ReputationReydituto Beyond Perfect ReputationReydituto Beyond Perfect Reputation
Quote:

That's why I said "wantED"! Sure don't want him now. 4 straight losing seasons after 2 8-4 bowl seasons, no thanks!
Glad you could laugh at that, was just giving you a little grief ...

But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up! ... Sweet Sassy Molassy, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
Old 12-02-2009   #27
MTFC
GOAZCATS.com All-American

MTFC Perfect ReputationMTFC Perfect ReputationMTFC Perfect ReputationMTFC Perfect ReputationMTFC Perfect ReputationMTFC Perfect ReputationMTFC Perfect ReputationMTFC Perfect ReputationMTFC Perfect ReputationMTFC Perfect ReputationMTFC Perfect Reputation
Quote:
Much, much different Pac-10. USC was down, Oregon Football had yet to rise, and UW was beginning to crack. The Pac-10 sent seven different teams to the Rose Bowl during Wazzu's heyday. That's why Tomey was canned, everyone else seemingly could get over the hump in the 90's but us. A bit different than this decade where it's been USC then Oregon then everybody else.

Last edited by MTFC; 12-02-2009 at 04:01 PM.
MTFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #28
boomermagic
GOAZCATS.com Redshirt

boomermagic Perfect Reputationboomermagic Perfect Reputationboomermagic Perfect Reputationboomermagic Perfect Reputationboomermagic Perfect Reputationboomermagic Perfect Reputationboomermagic Perfect Reputationboomermagic Perfect Reputationboomermagic Perfect Reputationboomermagic Perfect Reputationboomermagic Perfect Reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger View Post
How do you feel about Bob leaving?

Courtesy of The Real Dill .....

From random poster on Irish Sports Daily:

I can report to you today that Bob Stoops has not only agreed in principal to a deal but has actually signed the contract earlier today. I suspect a press conference will be called for Friday but it depends on how Stoops wants to approach OU.

This is not from a 'source'- I am the source. My brother works at the agency that has worked behind the scene since shortly after the Pitt game. No academic restrictions were lifted- insulting for anyone to raise that issue. The terms of the contract are straightforward and will not be discussed openly and will not be released publicly. I can tell you the issue centered about guaranteed money which is something we were concerned with but we have access to this required money and at this stage we will not be left short of our goals because of money- that was a fault of Mr. Kevin White.

Stoops desire to come to Notre Dame is an effort to build back ND like he did at OU. The talent is there and Stoops sees his legacy in more of restoring luster than maintaining programs. Stoops has been the ONLY target ND has reached out to. Brian Kelly, etc have never gotten a call from the agency or ND. From what I was told- Meyer had his chance back in 2005 and that ship has sailed. Stoops reportedly said "Bring on USC" when he signed the deal.

ps- I dont need more friends or 'phantom supporters' from a message board. I report this to you today because I have the information and ND could use a shot of good old fashion 'good news'. I signed up today to provide this information and after the press conference on (I think Friday- could be Saturday) I will leave this site.

You are fuuny.. Bob is Not going anywhere..
boomermagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #29
Reydituto
GOAZCATS.com Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
You are fuuny.. Bob is Not going anywhere..
The poster here is not funny (well, he is, but not in this post), it's the guy posting on the Irish board at whom you should direct your ridicule.

BTW, if Bob goes to ND, can we all just point and laugh at you?

Old 12-02-2009   #30
Indyeeby
GOAZCATS.com All Pac-10

Indyeeby Perfect ReputationIndyeeby Perfect ReputationIndyeeby Perfect ReputationIndyeeby Perfect ReputationIndyeeby Perfect ReputationIndyeeby Perfect ReputationIndyeeby Perfect ReputationIndyeeby Perfect ReputationIndyeeby Perfect ReputationIndyeeby Perfect ReputationIndyeeby Perfect Reputation
I'm extremely happy where Mike has taken us as compared to where we were, and remain confident that he is the man to take us even farther.

I see no reason why continued winning wouldn't get us more talent and more future wins. It's a series of causes and effects, and we are finally looking at being on the positive end of the formula.

Last edited by Indyeeby; 12-02-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Indyeeby is offline   Reply With Quote